dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer Snob said:
See it is all just very important to make a yeast starter when using liquid. And a good one.... not a half a** made one that you put together 2 hours before you plan to use it. I started using yeast starters when I joined this group and have seen the benifits of using them.

But I am curious what the benefit of a liquid yeast is? I have used them, and I am not being an AH. Just want to know what the benefit of liquid yeast is.

Sean said:
But I am curious what the benefit of a liquid yeast is? I have used them, and I am not being an AH. Just want to know what the benefit of liquid yeast is.

As said, variety is the reason.

Here is a link to the variety in White Lab products:
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html

Here is a link to the variety in Wyeast products:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/beprlist.htm

Comparing this to the dry yeast products.... oh about 5 or 6 .... but the kicker is that dry yeast basicly can only produce a few styles.

I use dry yeast for certain styles becasue it's easier/cheaper and stores longer. But for certain brews I order in some liquid yeasts.
For lager's I've just got in some saf 23 to try out, but I'd probably still lean toward liquid yeast for lagers.

newfie said:
I just returned to homebrewing after a, shall we say "sabbatical". When we used to brew, we had to choose between coopers and coopers or we could use coopers:rolleyes:
Since I started back up this year ... WOW ... is all i have to say. The nottingham has worked well, dry, clean, but takes a while to get going. May be the beer style though. Its a esb we brew again, and again, and again. Windsor seems to start a little faster, little less dry. s-04 blasted off one time, even with about 4 inches head space (literally, wife not impressed with mess on ceiling and wall), coopers seems to work better than it did (less lag time). Man, I just realized that my neighbour and I have brewed a crapload of beer this year.

One final thought ... Danstar is working on a lager yeast, maybe its already out ... should be a quality product though.
right on
newfie

Curious about your handle. Are you an ex-pat?

The big thing with liquid is the fact that some styles can't be brewed using dry yeast to get the "true flavor" of the brew acording to style. Liquid is supposed to be "pure" also as compared to dry.
I use both liquid and dry yeast in my brewing and have built up a stock of frozen test tubes of liquid yeast cultures. I know I'm a cheap B but I also find it hard to get fresh liquid yeast other than on-line. Ther is only one place that carries liquid yeast and they have now discontinued buying any to replace stock as it don't sell well here.

boo boo said:

The big thing with liquid is the fact that some styles can't be brewed using dry yeast to get the "true flavor" of the brew acording to style. Liquid is supposed to be "pure" also as compared to dry.
I use both liquid and dry yeast in my brewing and have built up a stock of frozen test tubes of liquid yeast cultures. I know I'm a cheap B but I also find it hard to get fresh liquid yeast other than on-line. Ther is only one place that carries liquid yeast and they have now discontinued buying any to replace stock as it don't sell well here.

Don't sound cheap... sounds smart.... this would be the wrong thread for it, but perhaps you could talk about how you do this. I would be very interested in reading it.

boo boo said:

i'm from the rock. Fathers from trinity bay out your way, White Way. I believe theres a pond in back of hearts delight named after a distant relative of mine, Martin Rowe.

Long live the republic ;)
newfie

newfie said:
i'm from the rock. Fathers from trinity bay out your way, White Way. I believe theres a pond in back of hearts delight named after a distant relative of mine, Martin Rowe.

Long live the republic ;)
newfie

We just call it Martins pond.

Have you visited this site? http://barleyment.wort.ca/biz/?biz=48
A lot of good guys there.

Back