Dry yeast pack count question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
It's my first time using dry yeast and I'd like to know how much pack do I need for my brew.

It's an american IPA 1.064 OG, 6 GAL and I will use Safale US-05. Using a calculator online it says 1.3 pack, not sure how valid it is. Should I use 1 or 2?

Dry yeast, IMO, is much more forgiving than liquid yeast. I would not try to figure out how much .3 of a pack is so I would go with just one pack. I generally just do rounding. Less than 1.5 goes to one pack 1.5 or more goes to 2 packs.

Do I pitch the whole thing? Yeast + water? Or should I try to decant the water?

Do I pitch the whole thing? Yeast + water? Or should I try to decant the water?

Yes, you pitch the whole thing .... it is a very small qty of water.

Also see the Fermentis site you can look up the specs on US-05 and they have detailed instructions on rehydrating.

From the US-05 specs you can get the temp ranges for the yeast.

I boil 2C of water in a small SS sauce pan for a few minutes. Then let that cool down covered,or make a small ice bath to get it down to 80F or so.
I pour it into a 2C Pyrex measuring cup before I got my 1L Erlynmyer flask. Then sprinkle in the yeast & cover with plastic wrap for 30 minutes. Finsh chilling the wort & sanitize the FV while thats working.
Strain chilled wort into fermenter to get out excess gunk & aerate. Top off to recipe volume. Then stir roughly 5 minutes to mix & aerate a bit. Take hydrometer sample. Stir resulting yeast cream & pour into wort. Seal it up & install a blow off tube just for safty sake.

Back