Economical Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread! I agree that the key to inexpensive brewing these days is buying grain in bulk. I have a maltster nearby. I think you could save on hops too, if you could limit how many hops you use. You can buy by the pound for less than half of what you pay for one or two ounces at a time. The reason I say limit how many is because if you buy different hops every time you brew, you will end up with a freezer full of opened hop packages (I know from experience). Figure out what hops you could brew all the beers that you like and only buy them by the pound; then, you might save on bulk hops.

Last edited:
Factoring in the other consumables such as CO2, yeast nutrients, salts, finings bottle tops, electricity and cleaning fluids is very easy to do in brewfather. Surprisingly they all add up but tend to be a fixed amount per batch, however once the numbers are in the program the data is just churned out.
Certainly a parti gyle beer after a high gravity ale is

I do not factor in my time otherwise I might find the beer suddenly is very expensive!

Speaking to a local brewery they were paying 24 dollars a kilo for hops.
I pay about ten dollars for a hundred grammes from lhbs.
I will be buying in bulk.

Good thread. I too am cheap.. I have really saved on my CO2 refills by using fermentation gas to purge dry hop and serving kegs. I also save "empty" serving kegs with the pressure still in them to push beer from a fermenter keg to dry hop keg and then to serving keg. Not only saves money but is a green process.
A couple years back when the GMO yeasts came out that released bound thiols I looked at it as maybe a cheap way to make NEIPA. A pound of more of the expensive hops really drive the cost up. I read a lot online, tried several yeasts, made several batches. Tried several offerings at local breweries. My conclusion was that I just don't like thiols. Others may find a way to make them work.

Factoring in the other consumables such as CO2, yeast nutrients, salts, finings bottle tops, electricity and cleaning fluids is very easy to do in brewfather. Surprisingly they all add up but tend to be a fixed amount per batch, however once the numbers are in the program the data is just churned out.
Certainly a parti gyle beer after a high gravity ale is

I do not factor in my time otherwise I might find the beer suddenly is very expensive!
Do you put those items into Brewfather as misc ingredients? I do track cost somewhat losely but I miss a lot things like the ones you mentioned. I do keep (again loosely) track of "capital costs" which is mainly equipment but if I buy more Star San I usually list it there (often forget).

In the end I'm not really doing this to save cost so it isn't a big deal, but also find it interesting to think about it (the engineer in me). I have been tracking my investment vs what I "save" per batch (I'll compare to the cost of a similar store bought beer). Again I don't do pay enough attention to be real accurate, but mainly to joke that my brewery will be in the black in 5 years of whatever (assuming I stop buying stuff - unlikely).

On bulk grain at least where I live the shipping cost of 55lb bags has always made that route worse than buying 10 5lb bags from MoreBeer with free shipping.

55# sacks may be best through lhbs if it’s close. I had one local brewer offer to get an extra sack for me at his cost but I don’t have room to store it. Maybe an option if you frequent a brewery

55# sacks may be best through lhbs if it’s close. I had one local brewer offer to get an extra sack for me at his cost but I don’t have room to store it. Maybe an option if you frequent a brewery
SWMBO would never* notice if you stuck it under the loveseat....

*maybe

Do you put those items into Brewfather as misc ingredients? I do track cost somewhat losely but I miss a lot things like the ones you mentioned. I do keep (again loosely) track of "capital costs" which is mainly equipment but if I buy more Star San I usually list it there (often forget).

In the end I'm not really doing this to save cost so it isn't a big deal, but also find it interesting to think about it (the engineer in me). I have been tracking my investment vs what I "save" per batch (I'll compare to the cost of a similar store bought beer). Again I don't do pay enough attention to be real accurate, but mainly to joke that my brewery will be in the black in 5 years of whatever (assuming I stop buying stuff - unlikely).

On bulk grain at least where I live the shipping cost of 55lb bags has always made that route worse than buying 10 5lb bags from MoreBeer with free shipping.
Yes I put them in miscellaneous.
One way to accelerate that payback is to drink more.

Don’t forget how easy it is to grow your own hops.
I’ve grown Saaz, Willamette and Cascade hops. More for entertainment than savings.
hehe.. yeah, I grow my own hops too.. problem is, after paying the neighborhood teen to harvest them(cause it sucks) I and up paying ~$40 for ~4-5lbs of cascade(3lb), saaz,, and some wilammette, and sorachi.. the "savings" mean me itchy for 3 days. and storing 4+ lbs of dried whole cone hops.. vs. buying the same in pellets, with half the freezer space.

The solution is a once a year "wet-hop" batch, where I do all the harvesting.. and Thank you, No.

on the malted Barley front, I used to buy from a local brewery all base grain at ~$1/lb, a club member then had a wholesale agreement with Muntons which was sweet as wholesale their barley was ~$.65/lb or less.. Muntons closed local distributorship, and I was still able to buy local malted grain(again all base malts) for ~$1.00-1.05/lb but they have a 500lb minimum, so still made for a group buy or buying base once per year..

On the yeast front.. those M/Fers are for nothing but reproduction.. Harvest away, keep your eyes on Milk the Funk(MILF), and any other propagation theories you can find.. (bootleg biology, many threads on this forum)

Attributing the hourly cost per brew as a hobby is easy, as long as you don't have the "dream" of opening a brewery... still at (MA) min wage, $15.00/hr for a 5-6 hr brew day(for a 10G/42L) still adds to the price per pint.

And let us forget the "sunk" cost of our equipment.. I get that amortized when you follow the spike "your liver will fail before our equipment" is insignificant, but drop a few G's in stainless equipment, and it's hard to not have it affect the $/pint.

I guess I've rambled a bit, and will now head on my way, but don't forget for all those economy brew, At home, use what you can, build what you can , and reluctantly buy the rest..

P.S.
No clue what my last brew cost.. I used to keep track ( keggle system electric,, house built including running all my own lines/breakers, Cheap-ass MF(literally just had a 4th child) here), but after a while, I know that I'm well below commercial costs, but only because I don't pay labor and packaging (and losses) cost.

There is a homebrew/commercial side here that if you think of it in a rational sense, does not play out.. The math does not add up until you hit like 15 barrels... There were a few ~2 barrel operations that opened and failed in my area recently. The math is still tough unless you ignore human labor and "sunk" equipment costs, so why try?

That being said..
Avid homebrewer, avid hobbyist, and "If I die, please don't let my wife sell my homebrew equipment for what I told her it cost" kind of guy,
Kevin

Don’t forget how easy it is to grow your own hops.
I’ve grown Saaz, Willamette and Cascade hops. More for entertainment than savings.
Unfortunately my harvest hasn't been all that great. This is my second year and I hope year 3 will be better. Once I retire, I am hoping to get some property and get out of California, and maybe expand my crop. I agree they are a pain to harvest, but with some good rock and roll playing and a cold beer I can get by that part. LOL.

Being an Englishman who was weaned on Boddington's cask bitter in the late 70s and early 80s, i brew regular ordinary pale bitters and it's clear to me that the brewers of Boddington's perfected the art of low cost/high demand, very moreish beer. Dry, light, bitter, thirst quenching, ultimate session beer. The OG was only around 1.035/6, and hops were only used for bittering, bar perhaps a handful in the cask. And they just kept repitching their own yeast, of course.

I have gradually got better at making this type of beer, whilst also giving up on trying to replicate Boddingtons. I just do variations. I brewed a variation a couple of days ago, 20 litres (5.25 gallons) using just 2.6kg (approx 5.7 pounds) of grain and 200g of golden syrup, and 25g of cheap Pilgrim hops. Pale malt 65%, pilsner 20%, golden syrup 7%, carawheat 5%, cornmeal 3%.

I pitched a dry lager yeast, never used a lager yeast in this type of beer before. Total cost approx 9.50 GBP, or $12 ish. I should get the equivalent of about 50 x your 12 ounce measures from that.

I'm sure people do similar variations of this - a bit stronger i guess, add some late hops, use different yeasts. Saison falls into the same bracket, and a lot of session lagers. I guess cost reduction is mainly about hops, and re-using yeast.

Not sure I've added to the conversation, really! Just musing on how I have returned to my roots, and how a simple template enables me to produce quite a wide variety of simple session beers. Vary the hops, vary the yeast, use specialty malts.

Cheers!
Saisons are my go-to style for inexpensive and tasty beers. I can brew a 10 gallon batch for ~$25. That's 80 pints for around 35 cents a pint! And it's really delicious beer.

Posts like this reminds me of Bracc, the king of cheap brew.

Make friends or join a homebrew club that meets at a brewery. Often you will be able to tag along on bulk grain orders _AND_ if you are friendly with the brewer(s) they might call you and say "bring a container we are dumping yeast today". Shipping cost is minimal when you are one or two bags on a full pallet! (their order volume increases, money stays more local... yadda yadda yadda)

My brews average $.40-.50 / Pint last I cared to look.

In the late 90's when I worked at a brewery our cost per pint averaged around $0.12 and sold for a whopping $2.95!

My dad and I used to fish so we could get free dolphin, snapper, tuna, and grouper. His boat only held 775 gallons of diesel and never burned more than 40 gallons per hour. I miss that free fish.

I should add that I have 4 .22 rifles and one 16 gauge, and I really enjoyed the free 7-ounce squirrels I ate. All 8 of them.

Well, where I live which is 2 hours from Toronto, the cheapest 2 row is $80 and Pils malt is $85. Shipping is around $24. That is it. Buy it or don't brew beer. I buy it.
But isn't it like 40 Loonies for a 24pk of Labatts? You still come out a mile ahead, just in an adorable currency.

Great article. My next foray is going to be reusing yeast. US05 and Bry97 are my usual go to's. Just seems to easy to just swirl around the bucket and pour it into the mason jar and fridge it. But I am close to trying that. Also, bulk grain is on the list, but room is a bit of a problem. Morebeer gives me 10% discount for being an AHA member but I have to pick it up in store. Might broach the subject with the accountant (wife) and see. Great stuff.

Great article. My next foray is going to be reusing yeast. US05 and Bry97 are my usual go to's. Just seems to easy to just swirl around the bucket and pour it into the mason jar and fridge it. But I am close to trying that. Also, bulk grain is on the list, but room is a bit of a problem. Morebeer gives me 10% discount for being an AHA member but I have to pick it up in store. Might broach the subject with the accountant (wife) and see. Great stuff.
That's how I reuse most yeasts. If the jar of yeast is fairly fresh I just swirl it up and dump in the fermenter. Or dump half of it in and transfer the rest to a smaller jar. Last week I brewed a kinda high gravity beer and the jar of yeast was a couple of months old so I made a starter.

For a few yeasts, like K-97, I scoop the foam off at high-krausen and put that in a mason jar with a little bottled water. (top cropping) I wonder if a macro beer like Hamms would be better for covering it? I use it the same way.

i figure about $40-50 for a 10 gallon batch. Biggest cost is now grain since I moved back to south Louisiana a few years back. No local brew shops so I place orders of 6 -10 lb bags from More Beer for free shipping.

Previously I lived in the Chicago burbs and could call my local brew shop and have them put an extra sack of grain on their order for me. A side benefit was my wife would come with me to pick it up, and then she started asking the owner what she should get me for Christmas.

• I buy hops on black friday deals, enough for the year
  • Buy yeast in 500g bags and try to go 2-3 brews on a yeast cake
  • Use organic wheat and oats as adjuvants
I use a lot of hops in my beers, so a typical five gallon batch runs me $20-$25.

• I buy hops on black friday deals, enough for the year
  • Buy yeast in 500g bags and try to go 2-3 brews on a yeast cake
  • Use organic wheat and oats as adjuvants
I use a lot of hops in my beers, so a typical five gallon batch runs me $20-$25.
Seems like a lot of yeast especially if you are recycling it?

Seems like a lot of yeast especially if you are recycling it?

I'm not always able to recycle it. I've found that the yeast lose a lot of viability when I pressure ferment in the summer.

If you watch on amazon, you can get some great deals. I bought a 500g pack of S-04 for $80. And it lasts a long time. I'm still working on the 500g of US-05 I bought two years ago.

Posts like this reminds me of Bracc, the king of cheap brew.
I want to say it was a couple bucks for a 12er and that included the sundries.

In the early 80s I was making 5gal of extract for about 7 dollars, now a 5gal batch of modestly hopped all grain ~5% golden ale is under 20 dollars.

I wrote it :)
It's a long read but a very informative one. I hope everyone here took the time to read it as it echoes almost every post.

Just like everyone, I try to find ways to save a little money too. I enjoy brewing. I enjoy reading about brewing. I especially love when my recipe turns out and I'm sipping on a brew I made in the comfort of my own bar.

Sure, I could be sitting at the local brewpub sipping on one of their eight dollar pints and thinking about how much I'm saving by not brewing my own.

I want to say it was a couple bucks for a 12er and that included the sundries.

In the early 80s I was making 5gal of extract for about 7 dollars, now a 5gal batch of modestly hopped all grain ~5% golden ale is under 20 dollars.
Cheaper than the extract version I'm sure.

Cheaper than the extract version I'm sure.
To recreate the 80's extract, 3.5 to 4lbs of LME and a healthy amount of corn sugar, I think it could be done for about 20 dollars.

The 20 dollar golden ale uses a 50/50 mix of US 2row and Imported Golden promise with trendy hops like citra and mosaic and reused liquid yeast. If I used all domestic malt or lowest price base malt on sale with second tier hops (cascade, chinook, ...) with reused dry yeast I think the cost would be closer to 12 dollars.

I buy the bulk of grain by the sack on sale, hops in 8oz amounts and yeast get repitched at least 4 times.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back