Dry hopping before fermentation done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbova3

Reaction score
I just read an article in BYO about dry hopping before fermentation is 100% complete. BYO said it would be alright to throw in your dry hop additions when your yeast is about 90% attenuated. I dry hop in my primary to begin with but have always waited until the yeast has flocc'd and has had some time to "clean up".

1. Has anyone ever done this? The article said Firestone Walker does it for all their dry hopped beers.
2. Since the beer is sitting on top of the yeast cake will the yeast still have time to "clean up" and the hops won't interfere with that?

It'd be nice to cut a few days out of the brewing process to enjoy my brews quicker!

Thanks.

theres no harm in dry hopping at any point during fermentation really. Although its best to wait until airlock activity has ceased. Otherwise you loose all the hop aroma through the airlock

theres no harm in dry hopping at any point during fermentation really. Although its best to wait until airlock activity has ceased. Otherwise you loose all the hop aroma through the airlock

That's why you should wait until 90% attenuated because the aroma would stay, right.

The rationale of this is that while the yeast is cleaning up it will assist in getting rid of any oxidation problems from the dry hops.

One brewpub chain I used to brew with used spundigs for carbonation. We capped the FVs 24 hours after yeast was pitched and set the blow off point on the spundig to carbonate the beer during ferment. The only way to dry hop these beers was to do it immediately before xfering wort into the FV. It is true that there was aromatic character lost, but it wasn't horrible. I figure I was using about 10-15% more hops than I would have otherwise to get the same character.

Back