Soft/cold crashing lager yeast before dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyberFox

Reaction score
I've heard a lot about soft crashing IPAs in the 50s to drop ale yeast out of suspension before dry hopping, but I haven't heard much about using that technique with lager yeast. Lager yeast can keep fermenting down to the 30s, so it is very cold tolerant.

My question:
After fermentation is completely finished, is it possible to drop lager yeast out of suspension by soft crashing (50s) or even cold crashing (30s) before dry hopping?

Thanks in advance! :mug:

I recently started doing this to a dry hopped pils I make. Post fermentation, I add dry hops and set the fermentation chamber to 33F. Held for 4 days. I haven’t had to chance to sample the latest iteration yet, but previous batch seemed to hold up nicely. I will know more about my most recent batch (double the amount of dry hop) in a few days.

I did DH and cold crashing at the same time to kill two birds with one stone and limit O2 exposure (bucket fermenter). What’s your purpose for doing this?

I recently started doing this to a dry hopped pils I make. Post fermentation, I add dry hops and set the fermentation chamber to 33F. Held for 4 days. I haven’t had to chance to sample the latest iteration yet, but previous batch seemed to hold up nicely. I will know more about my most recent batch (double the amount of dry hop) in a few days.

I did DH and cold crashing at the same time to kill two birds with one stone and limit O2 exposure (bucket fermenter). What’s your purpose for doing this?
Finally! The first comment after almost 3 months!

I'm mainly doing this to drop the yeast out of suspension and keep them from interacting with the dry hops. This supposedly reduces/eliminates hop creep and hop burn and increases aroma/flavor. I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference with aroma/flavor, but it seems to be the standard practice of pro breweries.

Thanks for the info. I don’t typically brew hoppy styles but this has worked for me so far! Good luck

Back