Dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyFisherman

Reaction score
I'm dry hopping for the first time and added three ounces of hops to the secondary after transferring the wort. My problem is that I thought the secondary was suppose to be a clearing stage but now I have hops floating everywhere and am scheduled to bottle in a couple days. How do you transfer to the bottling bucket without transferring a lot of hops with it?

I just siphon around them. IME, most of the hops will sink to the bottom, some will float on top. Careful siphoning usually works for me

I just siphon around them. IME, most of the hops will sink to the bottom, some will float on top. Careful siphoning usually works for me

Most are floating on top right now but as soon as I touch the carboy they start to sink and then the wort is saturated with them from top to bottom.

That's why I always dry hop with sanitized hop sacks. Contain the mess. You'll def have to put a sanitized sack around the end of the siphon.

I'm dry hopping for the first time and added three ounces of hops to the secondary after transferring the wort. My problem is that I thought the secondary was suppose to be a clearing stage but now I have hops floating everywhere and am scheduled to bottle in a couple days. How do you transfer to the bottling bucket without transferring a lot of hops with it?

Start giving your carboy a gentle shake each day. The hop "sludge" at the top will settle to the bottom. Rack to your bottling bucket.
Next time consider getting one of the SS mesh dry hop tubes from Arbor Fabricating. They work great & cleanup is a POC. The hop baskets for your BK are also a great add on.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

They will fall out of suspension eventually. I generally cold crash and it seems to help that along. If you have that capability, try dry hopping for 3 days, then crashing for another three before bottling.

Latest posts

Back