Double Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews-Lee

Reaction score
Just did my second brew-day yesterday, this time brewing an AG Double Chocolate Stout.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.25gal
Boil Size: 6.3gal
Boil Time: 60min
Starter Size: 2L (Wyeast #1098)

Grain Bill:
7lbs Pale Malt 2 Row
1lb Crystal 40
1lb Chocolate Malt
8oz Roasted Barley
8oz Flaked Wheat

Mashed w/3.25gal @152F for 60min
Sparged w/4.5gal @167F for 15min

1oz Cluster (60min)
1oz EK Goldings (15min)
1lb Lactose (5min)
8oz Baker's Chocolate (5min)

OG: 1.062

My buddy playing some tin whistle while collecting the second runnings:
https://www.facebook.com/lee.cunningham.5458/videos/10208208293510230/

Had a small boilover too, alas:
11l762o.jpg

That's gonna be fun to clean up. Chocolate stout brewing leaves a major trail through my brew process ;)

If you want to go for a Triple Chocolate Stout, soak 8 ounces of cocoa nibs and a scraped vanilla bean in enough plain vodka or rum (I use dark rum) to cover in a sealed container for a few days then dump it in a fresh carboy and rack your Double on it.

Let that steep for at least a couple of weeks before packaging.
The best night cap ever :D

Cheers! :mug:

That's gonna be fun to clean up. Chocolate stout brewing leaves a major trail through my brew process ;)
PBW made easy work of it. :D

If you want to go for a Triple Chocolate Stout, soak 8 ounces of cocoa nibs and a scraped vanilla bean in enough plain vodka or rum (I use dark rum) to cover in a sealed container for a few days then dump it in a fresh carboy and rack your Double on it.

Sounds good, I'll be sure to try that next time and compare! Thanks!

What I would do to be able to be brewing outside in short sleeves at this time of the year.....or to have standing water that doesn't have 3' of ice on it. Sorry for the rant just that looks comfy and enjoyable.

What I would do to be able to be brewing outside in short sleeves at this time of the year.....or to have standing water that doesn't have 3' of ice on it. Sorry for the rant just that looks comfy and enjoyable.
It was a little too warm for my tastes...but I guess others would trade me in a heartbeat, eh? :p

You will never here the words it was to warm come out of a Canadians mouth. Especially when we are in our torques and bunny hugs eh. Haha

Its going to be in the 70's in Texas, perfect brewing weather but I do agree....what goes around comes around when its 100+ degrees.

Wow that sounds good!

Ever spent a month in 120F weather? (When it is still about 100F at like 10pm...)

Yeah we get that in the summer here. I'm from Regina Saskatchewan. It's just north of North Dakota. Summer's we get to 45C which I think is around 120 then those night if we don't get a huge thunderstorm it stays around 25C. In the winter it will drop to -45C even down to -50C with the windchill. So like -55F. Diesel fuel freezes in gas lines. It sucks. We get about 2 months of each temp extreme then the rest of the year is working towards those. Right now there is 3' of ice on our lakes. We cut holes in it and scuba dive under it. Well not all of us just us crazy folks. Needless to say the above freezing temps are never cursed at.

I've done a triple stout for a wedding and a festival which turned out great. I used cocoa in the boil, some high cocoa count chocolate in the boil and secondaried on lightly roasted cocoa nibs. Good luck with yours!

Yeah we get that in the summer here. I'm from Regina Saskatchewan. It's just north of North Dakota. Summer's we get to 45C which I think is around 120 then those night if we don't get a huge thunderstorm it stays around 25C. In the winter it will drop to -45C even down to -50C with the windchill. So like -55F. Diesel fuel freezes in gas lines. It sucks. We get about 2 months of each temp extreme then the rest of the year is working towards those. Right now there is 3' of ice on our lakes. We cut holes in it and scuba dive under it. Well not all of us just us crazy folks. Needless to say the above freezing temps are never cursed at.

No thanks!

Wow, talk about swings!!

I am looking for some thoughts & advice: OG = 1.062 (15.2 brix) and current reading has been at 10 brix (1.026) for the last week. (For the record, I am using the Northern Brewer refractometer calculator.)

Ambient temp is 72F.
Been in primary since 1/17.
Taste & smell is good.

Thoughts & suggestions?

Sounds like it is time to bottle it up! :)

Kinda low on ABV at 4.7%, but, stouts aren't really known for high ABV..

I didn't see where you posted what yeast you used. I'm certain your beer is done fermenting. You have a high % of unfermentables going on is why it finished so high. Sure it might should have gone a bit lower but with just 7# base plus a decent amount of roasted/carmel malts and 1 lb of lactose a good % of your OG is from un/less fermentable substance.

When I did a few small batches I actually made an imperial stout that was 21% roasted grain and finished at 1.031. I did this with a less attenuative yeast, Edinburgh. Of all things it got a 44.5 in a recent contest winning its category because it reads as a HUGE beer because of all the roast. Yet it is very clean.

Bottle, enjoy, learn!

I didn't see where you posted what yeast you used. I'm certain your beer is done fermenting. You have a high % of unfermentables going on is why it finished so high. Sure it might should have gone a bit lower but with just 7# base plus a decent amount of roasted/carmel malts and 1 lb of lactose a good % of your OG is from un/less fermentable substance.

When I did a few small batches I actually made an imperial stout that was 21% roasted grain and finished at 1.031. I did this with a less attenuative yeast, Edinburgh. Of all things it got a 44.5 in a recent contest winning its category because it reads as a HUGE beer because of all the roast. Yet it is very clean.

Bottle, enjoy, learn!
I used a Wyeast #1098 smackpack for a 2L starter, (Beersmith called for a bigger starter, but I didn't realize that I was low on DME until too late, lol...)

Back