WTH did I just brew ? Abbey Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just brewed my second variation of Lil Sparky’s Nut Brown but with a twist. My last version was smooth at 5.75% but I thought it needed to be bigger because of the maltiness. I’m trying to take this beer into Abbey Ale/Belgium Dark Strong territory. I like big malty smooth beers such as North Coast Brother Theolinious and Brasserie Dieu du Cirl “ Rigor Mortis”

In an effort to learn as I modify each recipe I came up with the below ingredients which I brewed today. Had a fairly successful brew day and hit all my numbers! I really wished I had two packs of Nottingham yeast I really hope this Imperial Montastic is tame. I’m not a huge fan of all the phenols and esters these yeast produce. I like them toned down a bit. Going to ferment on the cool side and hopefully dial back this yeasts expression.

OG 1.080
8.8% abv
90min boil

12lbs Maris Otter
1lb Crystal 60L
1lb Flaked Oats
8oz. Victory malt
6oz Chocolate malt
1oz Fuggle 60min
1oz East Kent Goldings 30min
2lbs Honey at 15min
1500ml starter Imperial Montastic yeast

IMG_3616.jpg

Has the looks and ingredients of an Old Ale with a Belgian (yeast) twist.

Make sure to keep your ferm temps well under control, Belgian yeasts tend to become explosive with abundance of simple sugars (honey).

Oh, and good oxygenation upon pitching and perhaps again 12 hours later, but not much later. 18 hours in could be pushing it. Prevent oxidation along the way and she'll be smooth, deep, and strong.

I believe your right! I don’t recall ever having a Old Ale so I’m not familiar with the style. I was shooting for an Abbey Ale so hopefully it turns out good. Will report back! Right now bubbling away at 66degrees.

I’m at 1.023 after 5 days and the bubbling has stopped. I know that is not a indicator of fermentation but hope this gets down to at least 1.015

I’m at 1.023 after 5 days and the bubbling has stopped. I know that is not a indicator of fermentation but hope this gets down to at least 1.015
Put it in a warmer place (74-78F) to let it finish out. Give it at least another week, or 2.
Keep fermentor closed to prevent oxidation.

Dark abbey ales usually don't use chocolate, but a dark candy sugar and/or special B to get color. They aren't roasty at all.

I’m really second guessing the yeast selection. I think two packs of Nottingham would have been better. I kinda pulled a free style at the HB store when selecting the yeast. Hope this is not a dumper.

If you don't like it at first give it time. My first Belgian Strong took 6 months to be really good.
I once found a sixer of Belgian Strong I brewed at the back of someone elses cupboard when I helped them move house...3 years after I made it! It was a completely differrent and much better beer than the batch polished off in about 3 months.

The batch I made didn't drop off for four years. The batch was approved at the homebrew club annually. It was also the first brew I made that received unanimous approval by the club. I was shocked.

Unfortunately After 12 days stuck at 1.020. Not sure if I should toss a pack of US-05 to see if it will get down to 1.013. Hydro sample Tasted good so I guess I will just ride it out. So much for drying this beer out.

Last edited:
What temp did you mash at? That yeast is supposedly 75% attenuation. That would give you 1.020.

The honey should help in getting it lower, but it all depends on what temp you mashed at.

I suspect you are done, and barring an addition of 3711, Belle Saison, or similar, it is not going to get any lower.

Mashed at 152. Started fermentation at 68 for the first week and let it climb to 70 for a week them finish at 75 for last two weeks. I only let it go 20 days in the conical before adding gelatin for 24 hrs at 45deg.

Back