Best bourbon for a milk stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goblue44

Reaction score
First time posting here and looking forward to many more. Appreciate all the feedback in advance.

I'm finally making my first "barrel aged" beer. Im still an extract guy as I just haven't made the investment yet to switch to all grain. Been reading up on what bourbons to use for a normal stout or porter, but wondering if adding to a milk stout changes your strategy.

I made a 5 gallon batch of this extract recipe below and it turned out exceptional. Next batch has currently been in primary for 5 days and I want to get the oak chips soaking. After 5 weeks in secondary, I'm going to keg half and throw the other half on the bourbon oak.

6.6lb light extract
8oz roasted barley
10oz flaked oats
8oz black patent
16oz chocolate
1oz UK Goldings 60min
1oz UK Goldings 10min
1lb lactose
1099 Whitbread
2 weeks in primary
5 weeks on 4.5oz cocoa nibs and 2 Madagascar vanilla beans, all soaked in vodka for about 10 days (dumped everything into secondary)

Thanks for any suggestions on the bourbon!

I am wondering the same thing. I had planned to soak vanilla beans, cinnamon and habanero in bourbon before adding to my imperial chocolate oatmeal milk stout. So I bought a bottle of Knob Creek which I've used before, just not in this recipe. Then I started to think that bourbon may not pair well so I scrapped the idea and drank all of the bourbon.

One of my favorite barrel aged milk stouts is Saugatuck Brewings Barrel Aged Neapolitan Stout it reminded me of those Neapolitan coconut slices candies in a beer and then in a barrel. That beer spent half the time in Woodford Reserve barrels and half the time in Heaven Hill barrels. I have not used either of those but I do like Maker's Mark which I usually soak oak chips in and then just add some of the liquid to the bottling bucket to taste.

I ended up using Elijah Craig Small Batch. Will rack half the milk stout onto the oak in about 4.5 weeks.

Back