Don't tell non-brewers to bring beer to a party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed a few Bud Lights last night. I was the DD, the beer was free, so why not have some? 4-5 of those will put me in a lot better place to drive home then 4-5 homebrew/craft beers would.

I thought the same thing at first "Why would a homebrewer ask people to bring beer?". But I could see if it was a quickly thrown together party and he had nothing ready to serve. Then again, expecting people to bring a 20 dollar 12 pack of craft beer over a 20 dollar 24 (or 30?) pack of bmc is a bit of a stretch. Especially when a lot of people don't really know what good beer is.

I enjoyed a few Bud Lights last night. I was the DD, the beer was free, so why not have some? 4-5 of those will put me in a lot better place to drive home then 4-5 homebrew/craft beers would.

This comment worries me more than all of the accusations of snobbery int he thread.

Are you saying that 4-5 bud lights puts you in a good place to drive, or did I misready this? Sure, they aren't as bad as 4-5 8% ABV homebrews, but I'm pretty sure that DD means you don't drink that night.

"Officer, it's okay - I had four or five, but they were only BUD LIGHT."

**laughter by all**

What's the "wow" factor for you? The dude asked people to bring beer to his house for a party he was throwing and then complained about what they brought. Sounds pretty obnoxious to me.

just the fact that he said

If you don't have enough beer to host a party, you might want to re-think using the descriptor "brewer" before your name...

thats a bit irritating considering some of us just brew every few months for the fun factor, the pipeline doesn't stay up that long... does that make them not a brewer? no... just means they brew less.

If I had more room I'd have people over every time. Wait till the summer when we brew, smoke meat, and smoke cigars! You'll even get to hear my old neighbor tell war stories (if he's still alive next summer).

Come on thats not really elitism. You wouldn't find someone a bore who complains about what guests bring to his house? I could careless about the actual beer aspect.

Can't wait. Still gotta have you over for a double brew, 20 gallon day. Gotta be honest though, it'll just be the two of us.

hands down the most elitist thing i've seen on hbt.

"i'm more of a brewer because I.....brew more than you"

this is a hobbyist board.

This comment worries me more than all of the accusations of snobbery int he thread.

Are you saying that 4-5 bud lights puts you in a good place to drive, or did I misready this? Sure, they aren't as bad as 4-5 8% ABV homebrews, but I'm pretty sure that DD means you don't drink that night.

**laughter by all**

If you are not dead sober after drinking 4-5 light/session beers over as many hours, then you have a medical condition or are on an incompatible medication.

maxam said:
I think its rude to show up to a party empty handed.

I think its even more rude to be asked to bring something, then have the person complain about what you bring.

**laughter by all**

This isn't completely true. Not saying I condone it, but we don't know the situation here. 4-5 bud lights in the course of a 5 or 6 hour Super Bowl party will likely be enough to pass a driving test if he gets pulled over. I typically have a beer or two when I'm out for a nice dinner and drive home just fine. There's a reason for a "legal limit".

This thread is full of beer snobbery. Bad vibes.:(

tru dat

Nothing screams sausage fest like a corny keg full of imperial IPA.

6a0120a66c8606970b0154333c6a3e970c-800wi

I prefer nothing more than a light American lager during sporting events... attending, participating, or watching. Every beer has its place. The last thing I want is a RIS or crazy hoppy beer or anything else for that matter. It's part of the experience..

mikeysab said:
I think its even more rude to be asked to bring something, then have the person complain about what you bring.

True, unless they're your pals and you're just giving them ****.

Well, thats different than having a party, telling people to bring beer, then trashing them on an internet forum for what they bring.

Whenever I throw a party I usually am providing most of the beverages but when it's byob I have enough of an understanding with my friends that were not looking to get ****ty but have a good time and enjoy some beers with whatever else were doing. If I'm inviting over more people who bring others who have **** beer I normally try to offer them some of my homebrews and preach the homebrew gospel to save their damned macro souls. I also really love high ABV stuff and don't drive (unnecessary in Chicago), but I like having some more sessionable stuff if anyone needs to drive/bike later.

T's exactly what the subject sounds like. I just finished hosting a Super Bowl party (Yeah Giants!!) anyway, I told everyone that it would cover the meat if others brought sides and beer. The only beer we were treated to was Coors light and bud. What the heck! Don't these people appreciate good beer? Does anyone else experience this?

So you as a home brewer told everybody else to bring the beer and you're shocked that they didn't bring craft brews?

Huh. Perhaps nobody told you that 90% of beer drinkers only drink BMC products.

hands down the most elitist thing i've seen on hbt.

"i'm more of a brewer because I.....brew more than you"

this is a hobbyist board.

I was knocking someone who literally complained about what GUESTS brought to HIS HOUSE. If you see it as "elitist" (strange use of term by the way, but I get what you meant), that's fine by me. I'll never require GUESTS to bring what I consider good beer to my house. I wouldn't require them to bring anything at all.

I knew what you were referring to.

The guy starts the thread by knocking non-brewers for their beer choice, correct? Based on that, I'm assuming he considers himself a brewer. He basically knocks GUESTS for what they chose to bring to HIS PARTY which HE COULDN'T provide beer for. I'm not knocking him for the amount of beer he brews, I could care less about that. I take issue with someone knocking GUESTS for not living up to his standards. So if you have beef with what GUESTS might have the GALL to bring into YOUR house for YOUR party, when you can't provide the homebrew and/or craft brew that is the only thing allowed to pass your lips, then I don't think he should be using the word brewer to describe himself.

Not to mention, I DON'T consider myself a brewer, so I am not defending some idyllic title that I refer to myself with. I'm knocking someone who seems to consider HIMSELF a brewer, but should go by "bad party thrower" instead. ;)

The guy starts the thread by knocking non-brewers for their beer choice, correct? Based on that, I'm assuming he considers himself a brewer.

more elitism.

so you attacked some dude based on some random assumption you gathered from a 20-word bbs posting?

T's exactly what the subject sounds like. I just finished hosting a Super Bowl party (Yeah Giants!!) anyway, I told everyone that it would cover the meat if others brought sides and beer. The only beer we were treated to was Coors light and bud. What the heck! Don't these people appreciate good beer? Does anyone else experience this?

I'm with ABG (I think). First, this is *****ery. If you didn't instruct them exactly what kind of beer to bring, and they bring what they like, who's fault is that?

And if you are a homebrewer, and you are very particular about the beer you drink, and you have a party... probably you are the guy who should have provided the beer. Maybe ask your guests to bring the meat. Probably there was a BBQ Brethren forum member at your party thinking "man this meat sucks".

motobrewer said:
more elitism.

so you attacked some dude based on some random assumption you gathered from a 20-word bbs posting?

Elitist is knocking people for bringing beer to a party that you consider beneath you to drink. If the OP told people "Bring some beer to the party, but don't bring anything by bud miller or coors", then they brought bud and coors, I could see him complaining.

On the other side of the coin, when I go to someones house, I bring what i'm gonna drink. So I could kinda see the op's point IF people brought a bunch of coors light, then drank his homebrew.

I honestly can't figure out if moto is serious with this or not. If he thinks I'M the "elitist" for calling out a guy in a thread where he started off deriding his own GUESTS for the beer they graciously provided him with, then I'm pretty confident I'd not want to be invited to one of moto's parties either... I'm going to have to take the position that moto agrees with the OP on this one.

Here's my problem with this whole thing.
1) If you want good beer, buy it yourself.
2) why is it ok for craft beer lovers to go on beer advocate or rate beer and rip apart craft brews in their ratings, but the second that someone on here rips BMC, revvy feels inclined to defend that style of beer every single time!?
3) lets get this straight... BMC makes their beer the way they do to make as large a profit as they possibly can. They aren't making good beer. I've had plenty of beers in the same light American lager/pilsner style that had tons of flavor without being watery.
4) #3 being said, there is a time and a place for BMC beers, but if people think they are crap does it make you a better person to put as many ******* next to a random letter as you possibly can.
5) For everyone suggesting that his guests bring the meat instead you must not be from the south bc we start our BBQ at 4 in the AM.

Here's my problem with this whole thing.
1) If you want good beer, buy it yourself.
2) why is it ok for craft beer lovers to go on beer advocate or rate beer and rip apart craft brews in their ratings, but the second that someone on here rips BMC, revvy feels inclined to defend that style of beer every single time!?
3) lets get this straight... BMC makes their beer the way they do to make as large a profit as they possibly can. They aren't making good beer. I've had plenty of beers in the same light American lager/pilsner style that had tons of flavor without being watery.
4) #3 being said, there is a time and a place for BMC beers, but if people think they are crap does it make you a better person to put as many ******* next to a random letter as you possibly can.
5) For everyone suggesting that his guests bring the meat instead you must not be from the south bc we start our BBQ at 4 in the AM.

Nice, getting the BMC discussion kicked into high gear. Revvy's gonna drop a bomb on this thread, I'm outta here! ( BTW, I'm from the south, I do a lot of BBQ, and if I was asked to bring meat, no prob)

I only ask specific people to bring good beer, who appriciate it for what it is, and I supply homebrew and a cheap case/cube...and if it's the one guy I know who will suck from my taps and only bring bmc...they get special instructions...

the only thing I took exception to was your comment on him removing the "brewer" title from his name. if he actually called himself that.

i've never made any mention of the OP's supposed beer *****ery. your continued inferences seem to prove my point.

Nothing proves your point unless you agree with what the OP said. I called him out for being worst host of the year, nothing more, nothing less. I could careless if he brews 1 batch a year or 50, he didn't like the beer that was given to him at a party he could not provide enough beer for. If you read something else into my statement, there's not much I can or care to do about it.

Back