Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear and Maddie...guess which one is which. :)
2015-10-10_040639000_50EDB_iOS_zpsofr9bfri.jpg

B%20Dizl_zps049t7kzq.jpg

Thanks for the well wishes. Wally's last meal will be the little bit of custom-cured bacon I have left from the last race. A particularly interesting character that liked to wear his superman underoos on the outside would cook up about 80#'s of the stuff each race weekend. Wally would lie under the table the entire time waiting for dropped tidbits.

Once when I was off at the little boys room, he drug the Ezup canopy with 4 40# spare wheels more than 50 feet to try and get to the bacon man. Anywhere else the few folks up that time of morning would have stopped him but instead there was a small crowd cheering him on when I returned.

His sister, a giant blond fluff-ball of a Pyrenees/Collie mix, will try to fill his giant paw prints at the spring race but I do not believe she has the iron will and determination to run the team so will be starting from the bottom as mascot.

Stay strong. I am sure he had a great life.

My old guy, Wally-the-not-so-Wonderdog, goes for the big sleep tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM. He had been starting to lose control of his back legs for about three weeks but after a (now cured) three-day stretch of diarrhea he has pretty much given up. I won't watch him suffer when he cannot even stand long enough to do his second favorite thing (poop).

He had a great run living to twice the average age for his breed, being team captain (promoted from mascot) for our LeMons racing team the last three years and generally bringing joy to all he met. We adopted him at 11 to give him one good last year and he gave us 5 great years instead.

The picture is of him playing Princess Buttercup from "Princess Bride" at his first race. He was a confident enough black man to play a white woman convincingly.

Thanks for the well wishes. Wally's last meal will be the little bit of custom-cured bacon I have left from the last race. A particularly interesting character that liked to wear his superman underoos on the outside would cook up about 80#'s of the stuff each race weekend. Wally would lie under the table the entire time waiting for dropped tidbits.

Once when I was off at the little boys room, he drug the Ezup canopy with 4 40# spare wheels more than 50 feet to try and get to the bacon man. Anywhere else the few folks up that time of morning would have stopped him but instead there was a small crowd cheering him on when I returned.

His sister, a giant blond fluff-ball of a Pyrenees/Collie mix, will try to fill his giant paw prints at the spring race but I do not believe she has the iron will and determination to run the team so will be starting from the bottom as mascot.

I'm sorry to hear about Wally. Never easy saying goodbye. He will be visiting my chocolate lab Kona so will be in good company :)

He or she is a beauty. My newest senior (had her about 6 months) is an eight year old Saint. So far loving it even if she has a (totally unexpected) protective streak that needs more tempering.

Thanks! He (Thor..... or Hodor... he response to both) is an amazing dog. We got him at 8 months and he has been amazing with our son and daughter.

As he has gotten older he has become unsure of new people, particularly men. He likes to bark really loud and lunge. Never bites just acts tough. Usually after 10-15 minutes of me introducing and a few treats and he is your best friend though. Not sure what caused the change cause he wasn't that way when he was younger. I don't mind the little bit of protectiveness but it does make it challenging when new people come over or if we decide to entertain a large group.

He will be 3 in April.

My old guy, Wally-the-not-so-Wonderdog, goes for the big sleep tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM. He had been starting to lose control of his back legs for about three weeks but after a (now cured) three-day stretch of diarrhea he has pretty much given up. I won't watch him suffer when he cannot even stand long enough to do his second favorite thing (poop).

He had a great run living to twice the average age for his breed, being team captain (promoted from mascot) for our LeMons racing team the last three years and generally bringing joy to all he met. We adopted him at 11 to give him one good last year and he gave us 5 great years instead.

The picture is of him playing Princess Buttercup from "Princess Bride" at his first race. He was a confident enough black man to play a white woman convincingly.

Sorry for your loss, Udo. Cheers to Wally!

Sorry to hear you've got to face that tomorrow. Sounds like he's a bit of a character.

So sorry you're going to have to say goodbye, Udo. Never easy.
Wally seems like a sweet dog. You're a good person for giving a senior dog a wonderful last few years, and I'm sure he's enjoyed them all.

I buried my pal Ol' Tuck yesterday afternoon. He was a 12 year old rescued Akita. He had been stabbed, poisoned and abandoned before we met. I took him in when he was 9+ years old, he spent 2 years, 6 months, and 2 days here on the farm.

He was nothing less than absolutely magnificent.

very sorry to hear about Ol' Tuck. but glad he got to spend his last few years being treated right

my Goombah and Priscilla will play with him, keep him company until you are reunited

You're a good person for giving a senior dog a wonderful last few years, and I'm sure he's enjoyed them all.

I do appreciate it when people think its something altruistic but in truth, nothing is more rewarding than adopting a senior dog. Almost always housebroken, trained and any issues in their personality are well known. They are also tend to be total couch potatoes requiring little exercise and unless raised in a void, integrate quickly and seamlessly into the pack.

Wally walked in the door on day one, sniffed the other dogs, walked right past the cat and plopped in the corner. It was like he had always been there.

I do appreciate it when people think its something altruistic but in truth, nothing is more rewarding than adopting a senior dog. Almost always housebroken, trained and any issues in their personality are well known. They are also tend to be total couch potatoes requiring little exercise and unless raised in a void, integrate quickly and seamlessly into the pack.

Wally walked in the door on day one, sniffed the other dogs, walked right past the cat and plopped in the corner. It was like he had always been there.

you can do it for slightly selfish reasons and still be a good person for doing it

raising pints for Wally & Ol' Tuck. here's to good dogs :mug:

That's all probably true, but the fact is that senior dogs are often the hardest to find homes for, at the age when they deserve better. It's similar to why my family has always adopted black cats - people tend to avoid them because of silly superstition. See Nick in my avatar. In reference to the impulse to adopt otherwise unwanted animals, my sister calls them "Charlie Brown Christmas trees," after the TV special.

I'm to much of a dog lover to not share ALL THE PHOTOS LOL

First few are of our Golden we had a few years back. Good dog, odd temperament, especially for a Golden. She showed some unprovoked aggression to our son. We ended up finding an elderly man who was the father of our next door neighbor whos puppy passed away due to a very rare allergic reaction to a bee sting and was wanting to find another pup. He took her in and she rides around in his truck with him every day, sleeps on his bed and are best buds. He doesn't have any small children obviously so it ended up being an excellent fit.

The chocolate lab is my girl Kona. My wife and I got her shortly after she moved into my house and was a fantastic dog that got dealt a ****ty deck of cards. We got her at 8 weeks old and from early on noticed she was leaking urine. The person we got her from gave us medication and vet receipt for a UTI that was being treated and figured it would be cured up in no time with antibiotics. Sadly months went by and it continued and eventually our local vet started questioning it and we got an Ultrasound done and discovered she had ectopic ureter. Basically both the tubs from her kidneys didn't go into her bladder. They bypassed it and just drained out. She had no control, her bladder was never being used.

After countless medications, different treatments, surgeries and 10's of thousands of dollars we thought we almost had it resolved and under control. Sadly a few months after this her kidneys decided to shut down and we had to put her down at 3 years of age. She was a great dog and really bummed my son didn't get to grow up with her. The only time he saw her was on the way to the vet to have her put down.

Alright sob story over... back to pictures :)

Bailey Playing In Snow In Front Yard.jpg

Hatchers Pass with Bailey-7.jpg

Bailey Swimming with stickl-2.jpg

Pups at our house June 23, 2010   15.jpg

Pups at our house July 01, 2010   93.jpg

Pups at our house June 23, 2010   17.jpg

Pups at our house March 28, 2012   816.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

I buried my pal Ol' Tuck yesterday afternoon. He was a 12 year old rescued Akita. He had been stabbed, poisoned and abandoned before we met. I took him in when he was 9+ years old, he spent 2 years, 6 months, and 2 days here on the farm.

He was nothing less than absolutely magnificent.

As many have said, raise a pint to our furry family members that leave a permanent imprint on our hearts.

I raise my glass in honor of Wally-the-not-so-wonderdog and Ol' Tuck.

We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we lose them. It never gets any easier, but we do it again and again. We're softies.

@Onkel_Udo please know that HBT is with you and your family tomorrow.

you can do it for slightly selfish reasons and still be a good person for doing it

raising pints for Wally & Ol' Tuck. here's to good dogs :mug:

Here here! To Wally & Ol' Tuck, and the guys that belong to them. You guys have a special place up there waiting for you for being more than an old dog could hope for!

I raise my glass in honor of Wally-the-not-so-wonderdog and Ol' Tuck.

We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we lose them. It never gets any easier, but we do it again and again. We're softies.

@Onkel_Udo please know that HBT is with you and your family tomorrow.

Dammit, Ink, I was fine til I read your post.... [emoji22] lol

That's a tough thing to deal with. My condolences. Sounds like he has had a great life with you!

Dammit, Ink, I was fine til I read your post.... [emoji22] lol
Sorry man, but I too was crying when I posted that.

Killian our Catahula Lepard Hound mix we had for 7 years past at 11 years on, 2-15-15

Willow a Shepherd mix we had since she was 3 months till she was 13 years 6 months passed 6-7-15.

Conan-the-Barbarian-Bassett, graced us with his Goofy self for 6 years 3 months to pass at 12 years on 12-22-15.

Bela our Sphynx cat 12 years, passed in my arms on 12-31-15 and I really miss my Baby Kitten.

For lack of a better way to put it, 2015 sucked. But, these four animals were kind enough to allow us to enjoy them while they were here. They had a great life and spoiled the heck out of us!

But, these four animals were kind enough to allow us to enjoy them while they were here. They had a great life and spoiled the heck out of us!

Yep, this is the part some folks do not get. We have to grieve, ball our eyes and generally feel like crap for a while missing a big part of our lives just went away. That all passes and we still have the stories and the memories. They make it all worth it.

Since I started adopting animals, I have lost 7. All but two died of old age (or the illnesses that come with it). I will never stop doing this and I will ALWAYS benefit from it personally.

Killian our Catahula Lepard Hound mix we had for 7 years past at 11 years on, 2-15-15

Willow a Shepherd mix we had since she was 3 months till she was 13 years 6 months passed 6-7-15.

Conan-the-Barbarian-Bassett, graced us with his Goofy self for 6 years 3 months to pass at 12 years on 12-22-15.

Bela our Sphynx cat 12 years, passed in my arms on 12-31-15 and I really miss my Baby Kitten.

For lack of a better way to put it, 2015 sucked. But, these four animals were kind enough to allow us to enjoy them while they were here. They had a great life and spoiled the heck out of us!

Damn, brotha, tough fekkin year for you, agreed. Personally for me(us) as well. Glad it's 2016. Amazing people believe they 'own' their dogs. Ha! Nothing could be farther from the truth. They grace us with their love and affection, and (if we're paying attention) they teach us a lot about loving unconditionally, and how to enjoy life for what it is.

Yep, this is the part some folks do not get. We have to grieve, ball our eyes and generally feel like crap for a while missing a big part of our lives just went away. That all passes and we still have the stories and the memories. They make it all worth it.

Since I started adopting animals, I have lost 7. All but two died of old age (or the illnesses that come with it). I will never stop doing this and I will ALWAYS benefit from it personally.

Preach it from the mountain top Onk!
It does suck when they leave us, but if we are graced with another's love, we are fulfilled even more. You, sir, have my continued respect and admiration for what you do for these wonderful creatures.

All these posts of having to put dogs down is so sad, but we all know that we gave them the best while they were with us. I had to put one down a few months ago. But knowing that we gave them a great life while they were with us is rewarding.

I can't imagine not having a couple of dogs, but also know that they will not live as long as us. One of my dogs is 14 years old now and showing her age.

Great companions, lots of good memories. Our best friends. :mug:

All these posts of having to put dogs down is so sad, but we all know that we gave them the best while they were with us. I had to put one down a few months ago. But knowing that we gave them a great life while they were with us is rewarding.

I can't imagine not having a couple of dogs, but also know that they will not live as long as us. One of my dogs is 14 years old now and showing her age.

Great companions, lots of good memories. Our best friends. :mug:

Agreed, is sad, but also a joyous celebration among like minded people of the lives our pets gave to us while they were here. Latest one was 15 months ago, but newest one has allowed us to be in his 'pack' for a couple days over a year now.
Moogie is the craziest damn dog I've ever had in my life. All he wants to do is play and cuddle. MIL calls him a Beeeeegweenie. He's a beagle Dachshund mix. Basically a full size beagle on itty bitty legs.
I've posted these pics before but thought it a good time to bring some smiles back in here.
I've never seen a dog lay out in the open like he does, nor heard a dog snore as loud as he does. (And omg, on the rare occasion he does fart around me, it's like mustard gas)

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453862987.839303.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453863019.703201.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453863039.919706.jpg

amazing pix! love that last one.

Wife randomly surprised me tonight and asked how upset I would be with a surprise. After playing 20 questions she in the future wanted to surprise me with another lab puppy:)

I'm torn, I would love another chocolate lab but I remember the puppy phase and the energy labs have and think of how little sleep I get with a toddler and new born and ask myself do I really want to go through the night time potty runs and high energy labs have?

My Saint I can run around with for 20 minutes and he is done and down for the count. I threw a ball for two hours for my lab and she didn't break a sweat lol

Back