Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
The LHBS and Craft beer shop that I work at just received 4-packs of Dogfish Head World Wide Stout - only $36 a four pack!

Not sure I'll buy one!

Do it and put two away for a while. This beer is MUCH better with 3 years on it (not that it's bad fresh though). Know how tough it can be to wait that long though!

I drank my last bottle of 08 on new year's eve. It was really, really good. Not as good as the bottle of Pliny that followed it though...

come on! you guys make beer. you ought to be able to appreciate how much more ingredients, power, and TIME goes into a 18% beer vs the typical 5% beer.

something went wrong with a batch of 18% 120 minute IPA and they had to dump it. they said it cost the company $500,000.00 dollars (half a million). you gotta make a profit when you take a risk and brew a beer like that.

Kind of surprised they're selling it in a 4 pack. Every other 4 pack DFH maks has an image on the packaging but the WWS is a blank white package. I break them down and sell them as singles at $8 a piece. I think the beer has potential but is extremely hot even at 1 year after bottling. Buy two and drink one fresh then forget about the other one for a couple of years.

I saw the bottles loose at the store the other day and saw the price. I thought it was a mistake. I have never seen 12oz standard bottles sold individually like that.

or at that price!

I just bought a single.. First sip was very sweet..and strong! Its going to take getting used to, but it is very tasty the more I drink it. I'm going to take everyones advice and put one away for a while and forget about it (YEA RIGHT!)

I just tried one of these yesterday night. I got it at a local store (Marty's). It was bottled 11/15/08.

I have to admit... I went to the store to get six different imperial stouts (Marty's lets you mix and match) and in doing so, I got one of these not realizing it was 18% ABV.

Initially, the aroma was what I thought was acetone. But as it warmed up it was clearly ethanol. And the taste (especially with warming) was roasted barley, coffee and chocolate with a horrible, strong undertone of alcohol. Someone on BA drew a parallel with chocolate liqueur and I agree.

I really don't understand why this is rated so highly. Yes, 18% alcohol is impressive but it did not taste like beer. Is this another BA bigger is better phenomenon?

Back