Doctor say's I no more beer. Drink vodka instead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think of beer as the egyptians did, it's liquid bread! Just cut back on the sammiches!

Okay seriously, I started gaining a little weight (200lb) and the doc got a little concerned about my numbers, but he likes beer as well and suggested I increase my activity level, cut back on breads and starches (energy later), and stay more into proteins (energy now). So I'm back into weight lifting after 20yrs, and beating on a heavy bag since arthitis and a junk knee keep me out of much cardio activities. And what do you know the weight is coming off, and the numbers are getting better, and I'm still into one to two pints a day.

weighed myself this morning and I am down to 230 :ban:. That's 12 lbs in 3 weeks. Every one have a happy Thanksgiving.

weighed myself this morning and I am down to 230 :ban:. That's 12 lbs in 3 weeks. Every one have a happy Thanksgiving.

Congrats and Happy Thanskgiving!

Enjoy and feast today. If you punish yourself you will want to stop. A key is to find what works as a lifestyle. Less carbs everywhere else and exercise. I was pre-diabetic and then lost 60 pounds without being ridiculous with the fad diet crap. Just less white carbs, smaller portions and 35-40 min of exercise every other day is what worked for me, and I still have a beer a day. Maybe more on weekends.

I now weigh almost as much as I did through most of high school 226 Lbs. :rockin: 16 lbs lost this month. Wow! I must admit I thought the calorie trackers were kinda stupid at first, but it has paid off. I still drink about a pint a night :mug: Life is good. Every one have a wonderful day.

I now weigh almost as much as I did through most of high school 226 Lbs. :rockin: 16 lbs lost this month. Wow! I must admit I thought the calorie trackers were kinda stupid at first, but it has paid off. I still drink about a pint a night :mug: Life is good. Every one have a wonderful day.

Nice work! That's a lot for less than a month.

Awesome. Keep going, man, it's just a beginning.

I'm down 20% of my body weight since september...drink 2-4 beers a night as well

Congrats. I got a little warning from my Doctor as well, back at the beginning of October. So, I really started to focus on what I was eating throughout the day. It seemed pretty simple on the surface and amazing I wasn't already losing weight. But, I figured, since I wasn't gaining weight, why mess with it.

Well, once I really started to pay attention, I was amazed at how many calories I was taking in once I got home from work. Since I don't eat much during the day, I figured I couldn't be doing that much worse at home. Boy was I wrong.

Because I was hungry from not eating much all day, as soon as I got home from work, I'd hit the fridge. That snack could have been anything from a piece of turkey, to a cold piece of pizza. Then, while making dinner, I'd munch on the stuff I was using to make dinner. Since I always planned enough food for some leftovers, I'd always go back for a second helping.

So now I just make sure, don't snack on pizza, watch that portion, just because breakfast and lunch were light, doesn't mean my dinner was as well.

As I said, I was maintaining weight, but after just cutting out simple habbit snacks and sticking to legitimate portions for dinner, I dropped about 10 pounds in 6 weeks.

And oh yeah, that 1 or 2 beers a night I was telling myself I was drinking, upon closer inspection, was closer to 3 or 4 a couple of those nights in the week. That's about an extra 400 calories right there. It's amazing what you can convince yourself of when you aren't really paying attention.

I guess I should also add that I have a pretty good workout schedule as well. Nothing crazy, I just make sure I put in a solid hour 4 or 5 times a week.

Well, once I really started to pay attention, I was amazed at how many calories I was taking in once I got home from work. Since I don't eat much during the day, I figured I couldn't be doing that much worse at home. Boy was I wrong.

This was a problem for me at the start. I basically don't eat dinner anymore. I eat all morning and have a huge lunch...and I mean food coma lunch. Probably 2000 calories in by 1:30. But that is it. I get home, work out around 6 and by 7 my stomach is grumbling. Fill it with a few beers and off to bed. Wake up hungry and repeat.

It took a while for me to have the discipline not to snack but now its very easy. I also found that I was often not hungry...but thirsty. Make sure you are drinking enough water everyday and if you think you are hungry, have a glass a water and wait 15 minutes. It usually passes. If not, snack away...just make it healthy.

I just run and do situps and pushups. Probably 1 1/2 hour workout each day but again, I'm used to it and make it a part of my schedule and not just a choir or something "i might get to."

How's the weight loss going, Noblebrew? No update from you in a bit so I just thought I'd check in on you and see if you were holding to it ;).

I'm doing great I'm down to 223. Not as much weight loss over the holidays. The wife is an amazing baker. But still going down hill :) I hope to get below 200 lbs here in a couple months. Life is great and I'm feeling better then I have in a long time.

Excellent man! Keep up the good work. I'm down 50lbs since October and still looking to lose another ~35ish lbs. Kind of at a stand still at the moment because I've been enjoying a few tasty beverages a little more than I should lately :D :mug:

I'm doing great I'm down to 223. Not as much weight loss over the holidays. The wife is an amazing baker. But still going down hill :) I hope to get below 200 lbs here in a couple months. Life is great and I'm feeling better then I have in a long time.

You are making great progress, congrats. One thing, If/When the weight loss plateaus do not give up hope. Keep at it.

Keep at it - you're doing well, especially with the holidays. Long term it is really worth it to drop those pounds. It will give you years later.

Weight and Body mass are really important health factors. Being heavy leads to hypertension and diabetes. Both of which are hard on the kidneys. As a catch 22, the medications for both conditions are also hard on the kidneys. So you risk dialysis down the road. Also this really increases your risk of heart troubles.

After weigh in today I'm down to 220. My blood pressure has been regulated. Now my goal is to get down to a healthy weight and get off the blood pressure meds. Also I am looking at brewing more table beers.

After weigh in today I'm down to 220. My blood pressure has been regulated. Now my goal is to get down to a healthy weight and get off the blood pressure meds. Also I am looking at brewing more table beers.

You must be incredibly proud of yourself. Good work man!

Back