Doctor say's I no more beer. Drink vodka instead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weight loss goes extremely fast for the first few weeks due to the heavy water loss. When you cut the carbs and sodium, your body will begin to release all the extra water. This extra stored water can be as much as 20-30 lbs.

If you're standing in front of the pisser shifting gears, then you know what I mean.

I do. I pee a lot. :D

Thank you every one I'm doing good. Yesterday I hit 700 calories and was full I just didn't want to eat anymore. I've read that anything below 1200 calories and your body may enter starvation mode. Which is bad. So I had to find calorie dense food. I barley made the 1200 calories and I just couldn't eat anything else.

Also I just stepped on the scale at home and it read 235 so that's 7 lbs this week. :rockin:

Man, that is fantastic! You can do it, keep it up!

I will say that (for me) there seems to be a "switch" that flips. Sometimes I'm just not interested in eating much. Then I'm ravenous. If and when you feel compelled to nonstop eat, remember your lessons and eat well, not junk. Fill up on better stuff.

The "switch" in you is now very confused. It doesn't know if you've started eating less because of famine, or some other issue. Humans have evolved in various ways but we are still creatures designed to survive and thrive. You may feel a compulsion to start eating heavily, almost unconsciously. That's normal. Although you may not feel hungry, do what you did and be sure to supply yourself with calories to function. If you short change yourself too much, you could:
1) faint (low blood sugar)
2) cause some weird body reaction (very unlikely)
3) get super hungry and eat all the goodies you can find! <--this is the biggest threat :)

Sustainability is the key - keep. it. up. Consistent effort. This isn't a "diet" but a life change for the better! It will take time to learn new and better habits. Every bit of exercise helps. Every little less food or better food helps.

My main method of easy exercise is taking the stairs instead of elevators or escalators, and parking further away than I can. I call it "living inefficiently." Everything in American society is geared to convenience and sloth (in both food and exercise). Be different.

It's hard when your spouse is not on board. But make sure you keep your eyes on the prize. Tell your wife you're just paying a penance for all of her delicious stuff, and soon enough you'll be eating more...but for now, you need to get some weight off.

Again, congrats. Onward to 10lbs lighter! :)

Man, that is fantastic! You can do it, keep it up!

I will say that (for me) there seems to be a "switch" that flips. Sometimes I'm just not interested in eating much. Then I'm ravenous. If and when you feel compelled to nonstop eat, remember your lessons and eat well, not junk. Fill up on better stuff.

The "switch" in you is now very confused. It doesn't know if you've started eating less because of famine, or some other issue. Humans have evolved in various ways but we are still creatures designed to survive and thrive. You may feel a compulsion to start eating heavily, almost unconsciously. That's normal. Although you may not feel hungry, do what you did and be sure to supply yourself with calories to function. If you short change yourself too much, you could:
1) faint (low blood sugar)
2) cause some weird body reaction (very unlikely)
3) get super hungry and eat all the goodies you can find! <--this is the biggest threat :)

Sustainability is the key - keep. it. up. Consistent effort. This isn't a "diet" but a life change for the better! It will take time to learn new and better habits. Every bit of exercise helps. Every little less food or better food helps.

My main method of easy exercise is taking the stairs instead of elevators or escalators, and parking further away than I can. I call it "living inefficiently." Everything in American society is geared to convenience and sloth (in both food and exercise). Be different.

It's hard when your spouse is not on board. But make sure you keep your eyes on the prize. Tell your wife you're just paying a penance for all of her delicious stuff, and soon enough you'll be eating more...but for now, you need to get some weight off.

Again, congrats. Onward to 10lbs lighter! :)

Thank you stonecutter2. My biggest challenge right now is leftovers. I love leftovers. I had to throw out all the calorie dense leftovers because I'm the only one in the house that will eat them. Man, I hate wasting food, but it had to be done. Lunch today is leftover steak and steamed veggies. About 200 calories. :ban:

Also I just ran my last cider recipe through beersmith and it comes out to 151 calories so that is awesome!

noblebrew said:
I just ran my last cider recipe through beersmith and it comes out to 151 calories so that is awesome!

The great thing about homebrewing is that you can make your own "light" beer that doesn't taste bad. Just basically drop the OG (less sugars) and use a flavorful (read belgian) yeast and dry hop it. I just made a 107 calorie Patersbier. It is about 3.3%ABV.

keep up the good work. I enjoy reading about it.
cheers,
Wendy

The great thing about homebrewing is that you can make your own "light" beer that doesn't taste bad. Just basically drop the OG (less sugars) and use a flavorful (read belgian) yeast and dry hop it. I just made a 107 calorie Patersbier. It is about 3.3%ABV.

keep up the good work. I enjoy reading about it.
cheers,
Wendy

I was just looking into table beers, and I think my next brew is going to be a Belgian table beer. After listening to a basic brewing podcast on session beers.

noblebrew said:
I was just looking into table beers, and I think my next brew is going to be a Belgian table beer. After listening to a basic brewing podcast on session beers.

Sweet. I made my Patersbier for my gf that was buying Amstel light. (I found it to be the best lite beer in our side by side taste tests without regard for price; keystone light for the price. YMMV.)

If you are interested, I took the second runnings of a bigger OG beer that will be for me (sour beer based on Goose Island's Sofie) and sparged/boiled to get the "free" small beer for her.
Details: 1.033 starting gravity, 1.007 FG. 90-95% pils, the rest wheat. 17 IBU, from 60 min addition of Hallertauer. WL Abbey yeast.

You could do the same-- partigyle and drink the smaller beer now, cellar the larger beer until you get down to a better weight and can drink 300 cal beers. :)

Thank you everyone for the input. I apologize I'm more of a lurker on the forum the an active participant.
So far so good. I'm on day 3 and I'm drinking a ton of water, eating fresh fruits and veggies during the day. For dinner I sit down with my family and eat a homemade meal. This is important to me to sit and eat dinner with my family it something we have always done and something I will always continue to do. So far it hasn't been to difficult to keep to the 1500 calories/ day I'm just eating a lot of steamed veggies at dinner. I love them.
So I am a stay at home dad and have 3 kids under the age of 5. I started writing this post about an hour and a half ago, and I have totally forgotten where I was going with it. So, thank you all for the input and advice. I have made losing weight a priority. Thank you once again.
I heartily approve. A sit-down dinner with your family every night is probably one of the sanest habits you can cultivate, for a multitude of reasons. If you can manage, I'd suggest keeping it a priority right up until your kids leave home. It's good for the kids - and it's good for your marriage.

I grew up in a large family. We lived in the country and we got to run loose a lot, as long as we took care of business (chores, homework, etc.). But God help anyone who didn't show up for dinner, unless they had special dispensation...

I could never convince my wife that sort of structure matters. Our kids grew up basically just grazing, and saying hello and goodbye to us and each other if they happened to pass by on their way into or out of the kitchen. Don't get me wrong; they didn't grow up to be misfits or a burden on society. But I think they missed some important lessons about self discipline, good manners, socialization and group interaction - among other things.

Unless your drinking a ton id say shes off base. Ive been drinking on average about the same during the week and way more on the weekends and dont gain any weight. Im not saying you cant gain wait from beer but as long as you eat a balanced diest, exercise 3 time a week, and cut soda and processed foods then you can still drink beer and be healthy. Id say distilled sprits would actuall be worse. Plus two shots of vodka is equivalent to two 12oz beers so thats almost the same.
Ive found Doctors are soo used to no one disagreeing with them that they dont research alot of things fully. Especially if they do not have indepth knowledge of the subject matter in question. Chage your diet and exercise first then look at the beer if your still having problems.

Luckily we all learned the basic math to lose weight when we were in grade school: X - X = X. That's it. It's just that easy. And it's sustainable.

I must have skipped weight loss day in my grade school's basic math class. 0 is the key to losing weight?

doctor's advise.

[/QUOTE And 1500 cal's a day is NOT 'simply unsustainable' good lord...it's called a vegetable, you can eat them, and they don't need to be fried in butter - even if they taste better like that.]

I think you may be a little off. I am 6' 240 pounds 30 years old and a 34 inch waste, I have worn the same size pants from freshman year in high school. I am an electrician and I work hard for a living. I know you want to make a point but that is no reason to bash anyone.

Sweet. I made my Patersbier for my gf that was buying Amstel light. (I found it to be the best lite beer in our side by side taste tests without regard for price; keystone light for the price. YMMV.)

If you are interested, I took the second runnings of a bigger OG beer that will be for me (sour beer based on Goose Island's Sofie) and sparged/boiled to get the "free" small beer for her.
Details: 1.033 starting gravity, 1.007 FG. 90-95% pils, the rest wheat. 17 IBU, from 60 min addition of Hallertauer. WL Abbey yeast.

You could do the same-- partigyle and drink the smaller beer now, cellar the larger beer until you get down to a better weight and can drink 300 cal beers. :)

I'm an extract brewer because I don't have capital right now for a larger pot to do full boils. But, I was thinking with as small of a gravity as this beer is going to be I could do a partial boil biab. I think it would work.

Great idea! Of course, you could save enough money over time doing all-grain (extract is expensive!) to justify a nice BIAB bag and a larger kettle. ha ha it is a slippery slope :)
This low an OG is definitely the way to start/practice with BIAB (my first BIAB with a $1 paint store strainer bag is in the fermenter- so I can't comment yet but it was very cloudy with husks).

Under by 2 calories. We ordered pizza last night. It was difficult not to eat the whole thing.

Well, Yesterday I failed in an epic way. I consumed over 4000 calories. 2500 more than my allotted amount. Today will be better. Today I am going back on track. How many times have I read one day won't ruin you. Well here's hoping.

Well, Yesterday I failed in an epic way. I consumed over 4000 calories. 2500 more than my allotted amount. Today will be better. Today I am going back on track. How many times have I read one day won't ruin you. Well here's hoping.

You need to hit it like that once a week, like I said, to keep your metabolism from slowing down.

You need to hit it like that once a week, like I said, to keep your metabolism from slowing down.

Yeah, I've heard it's good to do that. Like doing different exercise to change it up, your body gets used to a certain thing and becomes efficient at it. I definitely overeat more often than I should though.

4000 is pretty high. Im not sure you should hit quite that hard but don't kill yourself over it either. Today is a new day. Learn from past mistakes and try and do better. What did it to you? Football? NASCAR? Chicken wings?

I had my weekly intake of beer in one night, Saturday. I love UFC and can't watch it without having beers :D. Still going hard today though. Its all about getting up when you fall down. Keep digging in, Noble, you get the hang of it.

4000 is pretty high. Im not sure you should hit quite that hard but don't kill yourself over it either. Today is a new day. Learn from past mistakes and try and do better. What did it to you? Football? NASCAR? Chicken wings?

It was the Homemade spaghetti that did it, there were just so many calories in such a small amount of food, and then finishing a keg, it only 3 pints left.

Glad to see you're still on track (you're not back on track, you never got off!).

You mention above that you failed. You didn't. You had a lesson in losing weight that is full of valuable info. You're doing just fine. Learn from what happened. Never give up.

As I said a bit ago, you will have days where you don't care about food, and others where all you can think about is eating whatever you can find. And occasionally you'll be like - oh man that was super fattening and bad for me, and i didn't even realize it. uh oh. Whatever - move on!

This is all a marathon man, not a sprint. Some results may happen fast, some will be slow. You want to focus on consistently sliding in under your calorie goals (even if by only a little). You will have occasional high calorie days - enjoy and savor them for the awesomeness they are! Better than mindlessly stuffing food in ya, am I right?

Don't let the goal overshadow your life. Let it become a part of you.

Glad to see you're still on track (you're not back on track, you never got off!).

You mention above that you failed. You didn't. You had a lesson in losing weight that is full of valuable info. You're doing just fine. Learn from what happened. Never give up.

As I said a bit ago, you will have days where you don't care about food, and others where all you can think about is eating whatever you can find. And occasionally you'll be like - oh man that was super fattening and bad for me, and i didn't even realize it. uh oh. Whatever - move on!

This is all a marathon man, not a sprint. Some results may happen fast, some will be slow. You want to focus on consistently sliding in under your calorie goals (even if by only a little). You will have occasional high calorie days - enjoy and savor them for the awesomeness they are! Better than mindlessly stuffing food in ya, am I right?

Don't let the goal overshadow your life. Let it become a part of you.

Thank you for the awesome advice and encouragement. :D

You mentioned that you're a stay at home dad and that your wife, for whatever reason, seems to be sabotaging your attempt at losing weight. The answer that presents itself to me is for you to learn to cook from scratch and prepare all the meals for home.

I can't imagine intaking 4,000 calories from a spaghetti meal and I love the stuff. Use multi-grain pasta, make the tomato sauce yourself and throw in your favorite veggies, and experiment with spices to kick the flavor up a notch.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and good luck. At one point I was at 270 pounds and I'm presently down to 190.

You mentioned that you're a stay at home dad and that your wife, for whatever reason, seems to be sabotaging your attempt at losing weight. The answer that presents itself to me is for you to learn to cook from scratch and prepare all the meals for home.

I can't imagine intaking 4,000 calories from a spaghetti meal and I love the stuff. Use multi-grain pasta, make the tomato sauce yourself and throw in your favorite veggies, and experiment with spices to kick the flavor up a notch.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and good luck. At one point I was at 270 pounds and I'm presently down to 190.

I'm trying really hard not to take this personally. I know you are trying to be helpful, but I still feel like it is an attack on me.
I do cook all the meals from scratch. I bake all our bread I even save and reuse the spent grains from brewing. I make the spaghetti sauce from scratch, I make almost everything from scratch even the noodles. Hardly anything comes from a box, Ever.
I am trying to move away form a calorie dense nutrient poor foods stuff made from grains to a nutrient dense calorie poor foods like vegetables. This takes a whole new way of thinking about cooking and one I am still trying to familiarize myself with.
Not all 4000 calories From that day were from the spaghetti. That was the total amount for the day.

I'm trying really hard not to take this personally. I know you are trying to be helpful, but I still feel like it is an attack on me.

No, not at all. I had assumed your wife was doing the cooking because you mentioned she was making all these unhealthy snacks.

Not all 4000 calories From that day were from the spaghetti. That was the total amount for the day.

Ah, okay. I was thinking the sauce was loaded with meat or something.

No, not at all. I had assumed your wife was doing the cooking because you mentioned she was making all these unhealthy snacks.

Ah, okay. I was thinking the sauce was loaded with meat or something.

Thank you. It is frustrating trying to relearn the way you have cooked your whole life. Sometimes all you want to make is that comfort food.

Thank you. It is frustrating trying to relearn the way you have cooked your whole life. Sometimes all you want to make is that comfort food.

I hear you. If there's one thing you should do, if you haven't already done it, is to ditch salt entirely. It's an electrolyte, so if you only have the salt that's in your food already, you'll drop water weight big time. Also, get rid of your white sugar, if you have any. It's been found to be a cause of cholestoral blockages in the arterial system, since it doesn't break down and scratches the hell out of your arterial walls, which gives something for cholesterol to latch on to.

I hear you. If there's one thing you should do, if you haven't already done it, is to ditch salt entirely. It's an electrolyte, so if you only have the salt that's in your food already, you'll drop water weight big time. Also, get rid of your white sugar, if you have any. It's been found to be a cause of cholestoral blockages in the arterial system, since it doesn't break down and scratches the hell out of your arterial walls, which gives something for cholesterol to latch on to.

I didn't know that thank you. I'm not a big fan of salt or white sugar. It's the grains that kill me I love bread and pasta and beer. It's those things that I use to get a lot of my calories from.

Today I learned that pickles, at least the kind we had in our fridge, have 0 calories. :rockin: my new favorite snack food.

I may have eaten all the pickles yesterday but I did come in under my goal.:) I have started walking everyday behind the kids while they ride their bikes. with the youngest 7 months on my back.

I have lost 2lbs this week :). I think I'm just going to do weekly updates from now on.

I have lost 2lbs this week :). I think I'm just going to do weekly updates from now on.

Congrats, man. Try throwing some weight lifting in, if you can spare the time. It probably won't appreciably increase your rate of weight loss, but it'll certainly improve your health and help you lose inches.

Good job man, keep it up. When my wife became serious about losing weight she really re-evaluated the meals we ate*. It took a lot of work, exercise and calorie management but she went from 220 down to 135. There's always going to be days where we go overboard but the important thing is to stay the course!

*One change was we got rid of the bread with our dinner. We were eating loaves of bread with every meal and replaced them with lots of vegetables. Having garlic bread with your pasta seems so natural but really it's just more grains upon an already grain-heavy meal.

Good job man, keep it up. When my wife became serious about losing weight she really re-evaluated the meals we ate*. It took a lot of work, exercise and calorie management but she went from 220 down to 135. There's always going to be days where we go overboard but the important thing is to stay the course!

*One change was we got rid of the bread with our dinner. We were eating loaves of bread with every meal and replaced them with lots of vegetables. Having garlic bread with your pasta seems so natural but really it's just more grains upon an already grain-heavy meal.

You are so right. It is difficult giving up so many grains. They have become a sometimes food instead of an all the time food.

Wine is definitely good stuff. I don't think I could drink only wine though. I really like beer. If I developed a gluten or wheat intolerance, my world would be turned upside down. I'd probably switch to brewing hard cider or something. Not sure I could do the gluten free beer with sorghum.

Back