Do I need this piece of hardware in between my regulator and co2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterWarlock

Reaction score
Dude at the gas refill store said I might be risking a leak if I double up on gaskets, and considering my regulator seems to have a built in gasket, it looks like I'm doubled up. On the other hand, the gasket on my regulator seems pretty crushed. Also, what is that piece of hardware called? Pretty sure it came with the tank and not the regulator. Thanks in advance!!
Just want to be sure I'm connecting things right and avoiding leaks.
DSC01550.JPG
55.JPG

That would be the suspenders added to the belt that is the integrated gasket on your regulator stem.
While it looks like there's enough coupler thread to fit that piece you should not need both gaskets to make a seal there.
fwiw I have the same style coupler stem gasket on a Taprite dual primary and don't use anything extra...

Cheers!

btw, if one did not use thread sealant on the male threads for that insert thingie it leaves the possibility for gas to leak out through those threads and then through the coupler nut threads - which aren't supposed to be sealed as this is essentially a flare connection. So your lbhs guy was more likely right than wrong...

Cheers!

That would be the suspenders added to the belt that is the integrated gasket on your regulator stem.
While it looks like there's enough coupler thread to fit that piece you should not need both gaskets to make a seal there.
fwiw I have the same style coupler stem gasket on a Taprite dual primary and don't use anything extra...

Cheers!
My integrated gasket leaks, so I use a single use fiber washer to seal mine (new one every time). In theory, the gasket should eliminate the need for anything else, but in my case, it doesn't.

Well, I tried both ways and it actually leaked when I didn't use the hardware connector. A star san spraydown revealed some air bubbles. Good to know there are option for leak prevention like the thread sealant or the single use washer method. Gotta watch for those leaks!

Back