Leak at CO2 Regulator Nut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FugacityBrews

Reaction score
Just swapped an old CO2 tank out today for a new one and when I hooked up the regulator to the new tank and opened it up, there's a massive leak at the regulator nut assembly.

I disconnected the regulator, checked to make sure the washer was in good shape and that the nipple was well aligned with the tank fitting. I tightened everything back down and used a crescent wrench to make sure it was fully secured. Still leaking. I think I'm going to go get another washer tomorrow just to be sure, but I am out of ideas. The regulator sealed fine against the old tank, and I detached/reattached it several times without issue.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this would be appreciated! Pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_2042.JPG
    IMG_2042.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2043.JPG
    IMG_2043.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
It looks like your regulator has a "captive" rubber gasket. They can sometimes be a little finicky as they start to wear. I've used a couple of regulators with similar gaskets and they worked fine when the captive gasket was replaced by a standard non-captive nylon washer (the white kind with a ridge that seats in the ring on the tank).

It looks like your regulator has a "captive" rubber gasket. They can sometimes be a little finicky as they start to wear. I've used a couple of regulators with similar gaskets and they worked fine when the captive gasket was replaced by a standard non-captive nylon washer (the white kind with a ridge that seats in the ring on the tank).
I added a flat nylon washer to the mix and it solved the problem. Interesting that the captive one worked for my previous tank without issue, though. Thanks for the reply.

Some cga 320 valves have a circular relief cut into the valve face that can make mating up with a captive O-ring style coupler problematic. I've never had a problem adding a crush gasket when that happens...

Cheers!

Back