Do I need a washer for my nitrogen tank + regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterWarlock

Reaction score
I'm new to the nitro game, and I noticed there isn't a built in gasket on my regulator, unlike my co2 regulator. I understand CGA valves don't require teflon tape, and therefore rely on a gasket to form a seal, so I'm curious what the best practice is for nitro tanks and regulators. Here's the regulator I'm using:

https://starbeveragesupply.com/coll...gen-primary-coffee-or-beer-regulator-0-100psi
Does the metal on metal connection of the bullet nosed regulator + tank really form a leak free seal?

You definitely need a gasket between stem and tank valve. I use the same nylon type on my nitro reg as for my CO2 systems...

Cheers!

Does the metal on metal connection of the bullet nosed regulator + tank really form a leak free seal?

You definitely need a gasket between stem and tank valve. I use the same nylon type on my nitro reg as for my CO2 systems...

Cheers!

A CGA580 stem doesn’t require any additional sealant or gaskets.

ARRGH! I totally misspoke, I had used my 20 pound CO2 siphon tank yesterday and had dropped one of the nylon gaskets for the transfer hose and had that all in my head. Mea culpa!

But, the Micromatic regulator I use for my beer gas cylinder (which is out for hydro test and refill - another ARRRGH!) does have a captive gasket at the end of the stem. I assumed all cga580 couplers would thus need something there...

micromatic_580_stem.jpg

Cheers!

Thanks for the follow up, day_trippr! Interesting that not all CGA 580 stems come with the built in gasket. I'll go ahead and give it a try without a gasket, and see if it leaks. Cheers!!

fwiw, thinking about this a bit more, I'm pretty sure the regulator for my MIG welder mixed gas cylinder has a bare nekkid rounded brass tip to its stem. And as "mixed gas cylinder" describes my cga580 equipped nitro tank, it's certainly possible there could be a compatible regulator stem without any gasket. Which might actually be preferable because I've had to replace that captive gasket on this regulator before and might again as it looks a bit frayed around 4 o'clock...

Cheers!

No gasket is needed but one can help if the male end gets a big nick in it. Mine does not have one. I believe it should not need thread tape either

I believe it should not need thread tape either
I often use a single or double layer of (thin, white) teflon tape on most "tapeless" threaded connections to provide "lubrication."

I've had my CO2 regulator's connection nut bind up on the tank nozzle before it had tightened enough to make a seal. I guess a film of vaseline/grease on the threads could provide the same.

I have no clue. Running a CO2 reg on my nitro tank but I swapped out the coupler too. That was a couple years ago and have not had to change the nitro tank out yet.

I have no clue. Running a CO2 reg on my nitro tank but I swapped out the coupler too. That was a couple years ago and have not had to change the nitro tank out yet.
Hah I did that as well. The reg seems to work ok at the higher pressure, just needed a $5-10 tank connector.

Last edited:
Hah I did that as well. The reg seems to work ok at the higher pressure, just needed a $5-10 tank connector.
they are usually all the same regulators....just different couplers for oxygen, co2, argon, nitro, etc... that is so you don't accidentally mix up your gases.

Depends, they don’t have to be like the air gas link says. Co2 is only about 800psi in the tank normally, nitrogen is almost 3x that. I can see some companies using lower quality regulators for lower pressure gas.

Back