Different Hop Varieties in the Mix (suggestions?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthPhillyBr3w3r

Reaction score
Up until now, I have used some pretty typical hop varieties in my beers.

For my American ales: Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, and Citra.
For my English beers: Fuggles and East Kent Golding.
For my German/Belgian beers: Hallertau, Tettnanger, and Saaz.

I am interested in trying out some different strains, though I still have about 10 oz each of Centennial and Citra, and I just ordered 2 ounces of Mosaic Cryo Hops. Here are some varieties I am looking into ordering by the pound: Eukanot, El Dorado, Loral, Calypso.

I am interested in brewing some hazy, really tropical IPAs similar to Troeg's Blizzard of Hops. Do you people have any recommendations for hop varieties that will give me that tropical, juicy, pinapple/mango flavor?

I have been using Imperial Yeast's A24 Dry Hop, which is a blend of Conan and Sacc Trois, which really lends itself to these styles and gives a apricot/citrus finish to the beers.

Citra, Amarillo, Ekuanot ( very tropical fruit forward), El Dorado ( I got candied cherries. I liked it a lot ), Loral, Galaxy, Vic Secret, Ella, Enigma, Azacca, Nelson Sauvin, Topaz, Denali, Eureka! ( very piney and resinous to balance the fruit ).

Some I have tried, some I want to try anf have read lots of threads around those hops.

I am most interested in the Australian and NZ varieties and would like to experiment with Eureka! more and Denali and of course Loral.

I'm thinking about trying an amber with fuggle and falconers flight 7c, just to be a little different

Mosaic and Galaxy. Will have an El-dorado/centennial beer kegged by next weekend and it tastes very promising

=parts Mosaic and Citra with heavy flameout and dryhop additions is heavenly

I am interested in trying out some different strains, though I still have about 10 oz each of Centennial and Citra, and I just ordered 2 ounces of Mosaic Cryo Hops. Here are some varieties I am looking into ordering by the pound: Eukanot, El Dorado, Loral, Calypso.

There's some very long NEIPA threads elsewhere on HBT, I suggest you search them for individual hop names to get some feedback, but if you won't consider getting smaller packs to let your own taste decide then broadly I'd say you've listed them in decreasing order of attractiveness.

I am interested in brewing some hazy, really tropical IPAs similar to Troeg's Blizzard of Hops.
Well, Troeg's page refers to "hoppy citrus and pine notes" whereas you don't mention pine? They give the following details

6.4% ABV
80 IBU
Malt:pilsner, Unmalted Wheat, White Wheat
Hops:Centennial, Chinook, El Dorado
Dry Hops:Chinook, Galaxy

Do you people have any recommendations for hop varieties that will give me that tropical, juicy, pinapple/mango flavor?

The classic NEIPA mix seems to be Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy, with some fans of Ekuanot/Citra/Bravo - they're good places to start before experimenting. Things like Denali are good for pineapple, and there's several Oz/NZ hops that would fit.

Just placed an order with Yakima Valley Hops. I bought a pound each of Eukanot and Azacca, and a half pound each of El Dorado and Chinook. I think these hops will give me plenty of flavor versatility when mixed and matched with the Cotta, Centennial, and Mosaic that I currently have.

I have a coupon to for some Australian hops that I will use later this month. I feel like I can buy single ounce packs of other varieties to fill the gaps.

Back