Did I shock my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilOssiferzStone

Reaction score
My first batch of brew -- the Williams Belgian Dubbel kit -- sat in the garage for three days in temps ranging from the mid 70's to low 80's. Then it started to heat up some more, and I got alarmed enough to go out and buy a plastic tubbie, stick the fermenter in it, and fill it half full of water from the hose. That hose water was initially around 65 degrees, but I figured I was OK since that was within the range of the yeast I was working with. Since then it has stayed right at 70, which I figure is exactly where I want it.

The directions told me to wait eight days, take the gravity, and transfer it to secondary, all of which I faithfully did. Finishing gravity is supposed to be 1.016, and it measured at 1.025. Measured it again yesterday, after twelve days in secondary, and it is still 1.025 on the dot. That puzzled me, so I came here and read up on 'stuck fermentations' and learned about the thermal shock issue. Joy.

Is there a chance this is what happened? And if it is, how to I resuscitate the little yeasties? Pitch in a pinch more yeast and wait however more long? Feed them a tablespoon of sugar?

/looks distressed at the idea of maltreating his hard working yeast

You usually don't want to lower your temps while fermenting as it can cause the yeast to go dormant, I'd suggest bringing that beer inside and putting a shoplight on it or something to warm it up. Also giving the fermenter a little swirl may rouse the yeast getting them back up and awake.

You usually don't want to lower your temps while fermenting as it can cause the yeast to go dormant, I'd suggest bringing that beer inside and putting a shoplight on it or something to warm it up.

I can bring it back up to 80 degrees just by taking it out of the water. Should I try this for a few days and see if the gravity changes? *Could* it change after twenty days? Before I'd heard all about how oh, you don't want your beer to get hot or it'll taste like bubble gum, which is why I went to the water-tubbie to begin with...

/head in hands

UPDATE: I pulled the Dubbel out of the water tub, stirred it gently -- and then, on impulse, got a sanitized spoon from the kitchen and tasted it.

The taste wasn't what I was dreading -- oxidized bubblegum-sweet or stuck-ferment malty-sweet. It was slightly sour, but in a good way, and left a pleasant aftertaste. Those of you that are into Trappist ales know what I'm talking about. It tasted like flat warm Chimay. Which I presume it should.

Gonna bottle tomorrow, and presumably the taste will continue to improve and evolve as it ages and carbs. Wish me luck, folks.... and thanks for all the free advice.

Back