did i mess this up (agitation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afss

Reaction score
I have a festa brew (mexican) that i put on a while ago. time got in the way and while i racked it over i didn't get around to kegging it or bottling it as soon as i maybe should have. It never seemed to clear up so i was letting it sit.

I have some wines on and in reading the instructions for clearing them it suggests agitating them well.

I read about cold crashing and using gelatin for the beer so i thought maybe agitation may help with it too. So i agitated it lol. Its been in the fridge in the carboy for 3 days now, added the gelatin after 24 hours. so far its still pretty hazy looking.

Did agitating it hurt it? what if anything can i do to get this beer to clear?

Thanks

You can wait longer and it might clear but you may have not gotten full conversion. If so it may never clear up.

As far as I've read agitation is a no no after you pitch the yeast. It adds oxygen which results in faster degradation of your beer through oxidation. You will see over and over again to avoid agitation as you handle your beer. Do a search on oxidation impacting flavor. You can't avoid oxidation altogether but you need to minimize it. I would suggest that you get it bottled or kegged asap and drink it right away as it won't age well.

i suspect this one will go fairly quick. i sampled a small taste out of the carboy and it had promise. I dont suspect it will be around longer than a few months at the most... possibly less.

I have to get a few fittings to get the keg system set up. I hope to have that done monday night and go from there.

I really wanted it to be clear before kegging thought. Would passing it through a filter help?

I've noticed my beers clear after being in the keg a few or even several days. If you have the ability you might chill your carboy for a few days to see if the "stuff" drops out.

Carboy has been in the fridge for 3 days now. I can leave it for weeks if it will clear it. I was just hoping it would clear faster....

I don't know much about brewing but I'm wondering if reintroducing the oxygen somehow reactivated the yeast? I don't know if that's even possible I'm just taking guesses and trying to read up in it.

Nothing like jumping in and then researching it lol

If the agitation was more like sloshing, drink this one within a month. Off flavors from oxidation increase with time.

No, unfortunately this was a good agitation, more than sloshing... oh well live and learn

Back