Diacetyl with Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkinman

Reaction score
I just opened one of my Brett saisons last night: wyeast Belgian sasion with dregs of two bottles of Orval. The taste was reminiscent of,well, have you ever had one of those artificially flavored, buttered popcorn lollipops? Yeah.

I figured the Brett would clean up any diacetyl that may have existed. I don't think the saison yeast had anything:drunk: got do with this since i also fermented a "clean" version off this beer, and there were no diacetyl issues.

Thoughts?:drunk:

This may be from the bugs but I am not sure it was the Brett. My guess would be is there was Pedio in the bugs too. This will throw off huge amounts of diacetyl. However with enough aging the Brett will remove all of the diacetyl.

Did this have a slippery ropey mouth feel texture? Then this is pediococcus. Just let it sit. Brett may sit quietly for months. Pediococous is part of making sour beers, and is just one of the many dominant phases they may go through.

the mouthfeel is certainly slick. I would be surprised to hear there is pedio in bottle dregs, but your explaination does make sense. I'll wait a couple months to open the next one.

I am also surprised the Brett did not take care of business since this beer was in a secondary for around three months.

You have to divide to get "brett months" :)

Brett is a slow worker (this is why lambics take 3 years). I've got an Orval clone on month 6 that's still changing the flavor. Much better now than before, but diacetyl is still present.

I am already seeing quite a difference after waiting 5-6 weeks. The mouthfeel is not slick like it was, and the diacetyl flavors are very slight. I think another month or two will do this one nicely -- just in time for a funky summer.

I have read multiple places that Orval does have pedio in it. Give it more time for the brett to clean it up. I have a wild ale that tasted like straight butterscotch after 3 months but at four months the diacetyl is diminishing and the brett flavor is getting huge.

Did that dicetyl flavor age out in fermentation or once it was in the bottles? I've got a similar problem with the saison i finished with Brett B. Tried a 2 week old bottle and had strong notes of dicetyl. I'm hoping if it sits in the bottles for another few months those will work themselves out.

Back