Decoction mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomycetaceae

Reaction score
I've brewed a number of beers recently for which I employed a decoction mash and something has occurred to me. I pull the first decoction, rest at 145 and 158 before boiling and then add it back to the main to raise the main mash to about 145...doesn't that break down the dextrins formed by the rest at 158 of the decoction? Should I bother with a two step saccharification of the decoctions or just settle for a single temp rest at 150, get the starch converted and then boil.
Any thoughts?

A schedule like yours is similar to the Hochkurz Double Decoction, where the first rest lets the beta do its work, and the second rest let’s the alpha do its thing. The dextrins in the main mash won’t be affected until you get to the higher temp in the second step.

Some would say that decoction isn’t necessary at all with today’s fully modified malts. And some would say that the flavor of the result can’t be distinguished from an infusion mash. So the complexity of your mash schedule really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you just want to add a little extra something beyond an infusion, then a single step decoct to raise from sac rest to mash out would be sufficient, and would likely add some melanoidin flavor.

Back