Enhanced Single Decoction, My Own Mash Schedule!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Pivoman

Reaction score
Tried about every decoction schedule in the books, so I drew some inspiration from Braukaiser’s listed decoction schedules, Noonan’s, and what both German & Czech brewers do. So here’s how I brewed a Czech lager with a single decoction to try and get the results one would expect from a double decoction with less time spent brewing it.

-Mash in thick at 38C for 15 min
-Add brewing 72C liquor to bring to 52C
-After 10 min rest, pull 2/3 of the mash (thickest pulled, I used a strainer) and add to another kettle with 62C water to thin it out, which will be needed due to the lengthy decoction
-Heat BOTH mashes, the rest mash to 62C, the decoction to 72C. Idea here is to not allow the rest mash to sit at the protein rest any longer than necessary. I noted from a podcast that a Czech brewer slowly warms the rest mash up from the protein rest during the time the first decoction is pulled and heated.
-After 15-20 min, heat the decoction to a boil.
-Boil for 5-10 min, mix half of the decoction into the rest mash, enough volume to bring the rest mash to 72C.
-Continue boiling the remaining decoction, and after 15-20 min or the rest mash’s iodine test is negative, mix in the remaining decoction for mash-out.

The idea is to boil a large portion of the mash in one decoction, but not quite the Schmitz method, but more than just a single. I turned down the flame on the decoction after half of it was mixed in so as not to beat up the mash too much or scorch it. I had crazy clear wort after I boiled it for 90 min, and the first runnings were also very clear.
What I’m wrestling with is that I use a 7,5 gallon and 5 gallon pot for the rest and decoction mashes, then I transfer the rest mash before the last decoction is added back in to my Lauter tun for mash out since I don’t have a means of heating my Lauter tun, which is another 7,5 gallon pot wrapped in Reflectix. I don’t want to aerate the mash too much, but I know this is a topic of debate, much like decoction mashing is.
I liked the fact that this schedule was faster than my traditional double decoction I typically perform. It’s just more hands-on because you’re managing two mashes at once, and don’t forget to have your spare liquor ready when you’re done mashing. Anxious to try my resulting brew. OG was 1,052 which was right on target.

Typically decoctions are thicker portions of the mash that are pulled, around 1/3 of the mash.

I’m not sure what malts you’re using, but unless they’re under modified, you could do a German Hochkurz mash, whereby you mash in at 52C for 15 min, pull a decoction and heat then rest at 72C for 15 min, then boil for 5-15 min. Mix with the rest mash to hit 72C for 15-20 min or iodine test is negative. I have had much denser and better head retention and density by reducing the time spent at protein rest temps.

I used a kettle mash (Kesselmaishe) where you drain off the wort and boil the entire mash and then add the wort back for the final conversion and mashout which I had excellent results with a Czech Dark Lager.

I have been asked to brew a beer for an event I am organising in the summer, :party: & I have decided on a dark pilsner type lager in the style of Samual adams Boston Lager using MO pale & crystal malt. :party: I know they employ a decoction mash for this beer.
My plan is to cheat a bit with my own decotion concoction. I know the purists out there will chastise me not doing a true decoction mash for this, but my plan is to do a 2 step mash with a protein rest at 50C for 30 mins followed by a Schrification rest at 66C for 1 hour. After an initial infusion to achieve my protein rest temp I plan to draw a decoction of a calculated volume thick or thin, Im not sure yet :wha: & heat to boiling before reintroduction to produce my sachrification temp, followed by mash out sparge etc. I have done a fair few step infusion mash's in the past which I know will be fine for this but wanted to do something different & experiment. I am wondering weather keeping the grain/water ratio even throughout the mash & heating the decocted portion will produce a better flavour profile overall :?: I am going to ferment with WLP800 with a diacetyl rest at the end & lager for a month or so before bottling. Any thoughts, comments or improvements on this greatly appreciated. :
I do a single decoction in my fired mashtun that is really easy and only adds 45 mins to the mash schedule and I do get the taste, clarity and the shaving cream foam in the finished product that one expects from decoction mashing.

I mash in with 60% of the strike water and 33% of the grist at 156, rest for 15 minutes then raise to 205 for 10 minutes. Adding 30% chilled strike water drops it to ~152 and the remaining 10% room temperature strike water drops the mash to 142. Doughing in the remaining 66% of the grist drops it to ~134 and then I proceed with a typical hochkurz mash from there.

I do use an extra false bottom on top of grain for the decoction mash to keep the grain 100% submerged. Doing everything in the mashtun while recirculating the whole time is pure easy and no extra janitorial work afterwards. Doing the decoction first does allow the main mash time to tune up any liberated starch from the near boil of the decoction. Hopefully this makes sense.

I've been doing a single decoction using the hochkurz mash steps. After about 30 minutes at 160*, I pull about 1/3 of the mash, bring it to a boil for 10 -15 minutes, then add it back to help bring the entire mash up to 170. Does not add any time to the day.

I used a kettle mash (Kesselmaishe) where you drain off the wort and boil the entire mash and then add the wort back for the final conversion and mashout which I had excellent results with a Czech Dark Lager.
Do you add water to the grain after draining the wort? What temp are you at after after adding the wort back?

Do you add water to the grain after draining the wort? What temp are you at after after adding the wort back?
Yes I added 1 gallon of sparge water to the grain after draining the wort (5 gallon batch).

I mashed at 146 deg. F for 30 minutes before the kettle mash and after a 30 minute kettle mash (boiling) the temp after adding the wort back was 165 deg. F.

Yes I added 1 gallon of sparge water to the grain after draining the wort (5 gallon batch).

I mashed at 146 deg. F for 30 minutes before the kettle mash and after a 30 minute kettle mash (boiling) the temp after adding the wort back was 165 deg. F.
Correction this was a 10 gallon batch.

Back