Death of a Brewpastor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olllllo said:
Before I learned to brew gluten-free I was poor, had diarrhea, bloating, weight loss, anemia, chronic fatigue, weakness, bone pain, muscle cramps, was constipated, had constipation alternating with diarrhea, exhibited behavioral, learning or concentration problems, was irritable, had growth failure, had dental enamel defects, projectile vomited, had chronic anemia and chronic fatigue, displayed weakness, experienced migraine headaches, nerve problems such as tingling of hands or difficulty walking, or other conditions that are unexplained.

Now I am just poor.

Lol - that's one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

Good luck to you BP! Hope all turns out well

Yes, get it checked and let us know what you find, good, bad or otherwise. My thoughts will be with you.

Just in case someone who is gluten intolerant reads this post Wyeast is offering offering two strains of gluten free yeast as July-September's VSS, an American ale and Bavarian lager yeast.

Will we have to wait for Fall sweeps to see how this TV show ends?

C'mon BP, give us a "hey ya" even if you don't have any new news.

Just so you are aware, Celiac is only one form of gluten intolerance. You may test negative, but still be sensitive. This was the case for my boyfriend. He tested negative for Celiac but the doctor told him that if eating wheat products makes you sick . . . DON'T EAT IT! You don't need a medical test to tell you how you feel. On the positive side, my boyfriend has found that he can tolerate one or two regular beers a month. Otherwise be drinks Bardstale and the GF beer that I make for him. I'll post my recipe this evening.

Well, here is what I know so far. I do not test positive for celiac, but I do have tolerance issues (as my tour of duty as a Moderator showed). They tested me in a couple ways and they don't show anything . They have tested for parasites, but I am OK there (I may be one but I don't host any). They told me to keep tabs on what I am eating and drinking and see what happens.

The good news is beer has not been banned - yet. The bad news is any more then 2 pints and I am not happy. I am not a big bread/pasta/gluten eater anyway, although I get plenty in varieties of ways. Beer seems to be the big trigger, but not the only one. I have been trying to track things down and figure this out and I have tried a variety of brews and find no significant difference.

So, I am taking it easy and laying low. I am hoping it is a stress thing, although I am generally pretty layed back in that area. After-all, what can I do? So, I am working on some other things.

I am following in the foot steps of Brewtopia and have resurrected a 15 gallon oak barrel my father-in-law had in a shed for me. It was dried out completely and nearly in pieces, so pounded it around a bit, and soaked it in a tub of water for a couple days. It has swollen back up and is holding water. So now I need to clean it and utilize it. I am wondering what a GF soured brew will taste like.

Thanks for your input and posts.

Hope everything works out for you BP, or that you find a suitable way to adapt your recipes to avoid the problems, if it turns out to be the case.

Take care.

Brewpastor said:
I am wondering what a GF soured brew will taste like.

My guess would be that no one knows what a GF soured brew tastes like. I wouldn't be surprised to learn you'd brewed the first one ever. I think you're probably a trailblazer in that area.:mug:

Have you had a go drinking some of the GF beers available to see if you tolerate it better than regular beer?

Not yet, but only because I can't track any down in my locals. I have thought, as you seem to suggest as well, that this will be a useful test. It could very well be I just have an old man gut! It certainly is getting bigger all the time, just like my second chin...

Redbridge is the only one I've run across. Not bad, in a BMC way. There was a GF beer tasting in Portland a while back, but I wasn't motivated.

I can get Specher here. I haven't seen that particular one yet, but I can search it out and send it to you.

I'll search for it throughout the Chicago area, just b/c I'm curious how the Sprecher GF would taste. And, I'm a gluten for punishment.

Hey Brewpastor,

Good to hear that every thing checks out. Hope you're feeling better. I was wondering and not sure if you've been tested for this or has someone else already asked in a previous post.

Have you been tested to see if you are allergic to the yeast. Not sure of how long you've been brewing and consuming HB. Just a thought! Hope you get better!

Brewtopia said:
The only one I've tried is Toleration. I wrote about it a while back in the "Right now I'm drinking" thread.

"funky but tolerable." Now that is a sales pitch if I ever heard one! I think I have a new comment for the beers I judge. "Funky but tolerable." I have had a lot of those beers over the years. Thanks for forwarding the post.

the_Roqk said:
Hey Brewpastor,

Good to hear that every thing checks out. Hope you're feeling better. I was wondering and not sure if you've been tested for this or has someone else already asked in a previous post.

Have you been tested to see if you are allergic to the yeast. Not sure of how long you've been brewing and consuming HB. Just a thought! Hope you get better!

I have not. I have been brewing for 25 + years, but that doesn't mean anything really. Allergies can pop up as it were. I plan to just move ahead and see what happens. I do think I will play around with some GF brews and see what happens.

Brewpastor-- as a physician, I can tell you that you need a colonoscopy if you haven't had one. If they take a biopsy, they can tell if you have Celiac Sprue or not.

Do you have a Gastroenterologist?? If you don't, you need to see one. Other, more simple tests can be misleading.

I wish you the best. . .

Let us know how this plays out.

How Apropos... From Northern Brewer's Newsletter....

GLUTEN-FREE BEER INGREDIENTS
----------------------------
Sorghum syrup is now available! The 6 lb size is perfect for five
gallon batches fermented with Wyeast's new gluten-free VSS strains.
Just to sweeten the deal, we're putting sorghum syrup on sale! 6
lb jugs normally $15.00, now $11.25! Limited time offer, good while
supplies last. Find them online at:
http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=gluten+sorghum

I'm not saying you have to switch to Extract brewing, but it's a good way to nail a recipes down a bit...

Sorry Brewpastor that really sucks. One suggestion I have is that if you can tolerate small amounts of Gluten you can just use sorghum as your base malt and still play around with specialty malts because there might not be enought of them in there to effect you. Even if you can only get the syrup and not the grain you could do partial mashes. I have also heard of using buckwheat which I hear is gluten free, but I can't say for sure in beers. Of course you would have to malt it yourself because it isn't a common brewing grain, but it makes good pancakes so who knows maybe it can make good beer. Anyway whatever you do good luck.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35908

I propose that, in support of our great friend Tom, for all that he has helped us learn through the years, that we collectively undertake a greater understanding of what gluten-free brewing truly can be.

Let's all work together, do some research, and build some of the best GF recipes anywhere.

Who's in?

That is a really good idea and here's another one for those of us that belong to clubs. Many clubs will have little competitions throughout the year, many times based on a certain style or certain ingredient. For those of you with some pull in your clubs, recommmend that they hold a gluten-free competition. Make it a requirement to submit the recipe, then collect them all and post them on your club website and here. Sure there are recipes floating around here and there, but this would be a way to collect several at one time in one place. Not only would it be a great service to the beer loving folks suffering from gluten intollerance, but it may get your club some press in the brewing mags.

DistillPastor? VinePastor? ApfelweinPastor? MeadPastor? NiceguywhoshipshisequipmenttoafriendlysoulinIllinoisPastor?

BP, very sorry to hear about your intolerance.....My son Benjamin is textbook ADD if he eats wheat. He bounces off the wall and cannot absolutely cannot sit still if he eats wheat. I know from experience how powerful a wheat sensitivity can be.

I will pray to Jahweh the Great I Am for you. You have helped so many of us, we can only hope to be as kind and helpful as you have been to us.

May the good Lord bless you.

I am living in fear right now. You see, my mom is gluten intolerant, ...

I haven't read all these replies because there are so many, only browsed a few pages. No need to live in fear. There are lots of gluten free restaurant menus and other products available. Even commercial beer is catching on. Redbridge is the best tasting I've had but there are several others. Also lots of non-wheat flour, Bob's Red Mill is probably most common but Chebe is great and so is Kinickinik (EASY to make bread). Great news: all vegetables, and straight liquor is gluten free so eat right and drink Makers Mark until you create the perfect beer recipe, then tell me what it is so I can make it too.

FYI - If you end up needing to drink Gluten-Free, then I honestly think you could make a good beer that way. I've had a Redbridge and it was ok, but designed for regular beer drinkers. You could be one of the pioneers of the GF Microbrew movement! Just think of the experimenting potential!

It *could* even work itself toward a business opportunity. You never know.

I'd also recommend going to an allergist. Might be an allergy to something in th ebeer other than wheat/gluten

kontreren, maybe you should have read all the replies, considering the last reply in this thread is over a YEAR old.

Back