DC Group Buy #20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed four quick batches after the last group buy but still have a nice supply, hope to get some more brew days in before the buy closes so I can restock. Unsure the wife will be happy if I add more taps just so I can brew more so I can buy more grains.. vicious circle. Happy brewing all!

I had a year long brewing hiatus after I moved, but I'm getting ready to ramp production back up (beer stash is dwindling rapidly). I'll try to help close out some splits soon.

Looks like there are some great crops of sour cherries this year, so I'm thinking of a big Lambic project. Anyone want to do splits on Dingemans pilsen and Rahr unmalted wheat?

Available Product Description
40lb Weyermann Acidulated 55 lb
25lb Schill Cologne (Kolsch) 55 lb
15lb Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
30lb Flaked Barley (Unmalted) 50 lb
35lb Weyermann CARAFOAM 55 lb
45lb Weyermann CARAHELL 55 lb
25lb Simpsons Finest Pale Ale Golden Promise 55 lb
15lb Avangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
25lb Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen 55 Lb
35lb Muntons Maris Otter Malt Blend 55 Lb
40lb Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb
45lb Crisp Brown 55 lb
30lb Briess DME Golden Light 50 lb

AvailableProduct Description
40lbWeyermann Acidulated 55 lb
25lbSchill Cologne (Kolsch) 55 lb
15lbBriess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
30lbFlaked Barley (Unmalted) 50 lb
35lbWeyermann CARAFOAM 55 lb
45lbWeyermann CARAHELL 55 lb
25lbSimpsons Finest Pale Ale Golden Promise 55 lb
15lbAvangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
25lbAvangard Malz Premium Pilsen 55 Lb
35lbMuntons Maris Otter Malt Blend 55 Lb
40lbAvangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb
45lbCrisp Brown 55 lb
30lbBriess DME Golden Light 50 lb

Did you find out about milled?

Is the close date still expected for August with pickup three weeks from the close date?

Depends on demand, really. Usually they are 2-4 months apart, with the last one in early May so rough guess would be sometime in AUG. We delayed the start of this one a couple of weeks to get the new website online so it is slow out of the gates.

@reddskinnfan - sorry forgot...hopefully I will remember tonight when I get home.
@R_Horn - unsure and right now looking unlikely...last I checked we were at 7 sacks or so...

So he told me we could definitely get them premilled:

"Will need to check on availability for individual grains. They are not however the same price. I'm not finding any premilled grain on the BSG website and the LD Carlson website is charging $3-$4 more per sack for premilled."

So he told me we could definitely get them premilled:

"Will need to check on availability for individual grains. They are not however the same price. I'm not finding any premilled grain on the BSG website and the LD Carlson website is charging $3-$4 more per sack for premilled."

Awesome... Willing to pay that for milled!

Will be ordering soon!

Does milled grain keep as well as whole?

Nope, much shorter lived.
With cool and dry storage, 6 months seems to be about the limit for milled.

Now YMMV, as has mine. I've used milled base grain that was 4 years old and still fine. I did mix in 50/50 fresh in case the DP had tanked.

I think airtight storage helps to prevent staling. Purging air from storage bags/containers or vacuum sealing is even better. I always taste the malt, just to be sure.

Nope, much shorter lived.
With cool and dry storage, 6 months seems to be about the limit for milled.

Now YMMV, as has mine. I've used milled base grain that was 4 years old and still fine. I did mix in 50/50 fresh in case the DP had tanked.

I think airtight storage helps to prevent staling. Purging air from storage bags/containers or vacuum sealing is even better. I always taste the malt, just to be sure.

Yep, but I plan on using mine much faster.

We have never ordered hops on the buy. I have gotten pricing several times and published it and there has never been any interest because the prices we can get are actually higher than what you can do via mail order...

Saw on the web page that the tentative pickup date is August 12th. That's also the date for 3 Stars 5th Anniversary bash, which starts at noon for "VIP tickets" and at 1:00 PM for non VIP. It seems likely the grain pickup will be a different date.

Closed a couple of splits, added a bunch of splits, accidentally added a 2-row split (gotta stop ordering after a few homebrews).

Welcome back Tony!

35lb Weyermann Acidulated 55 lb
15lb Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
35lb Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb
45lb Crisp Brown 55 lb
15lb Briess DME Golden Light 50 lb
25lb Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 50 Lb
45lb PBW 50 lb
40lb Briess Midnight Wheat Malt 50 Lb
50lb Weyermann Munich Type 1 55 lb
50lb Weyermann CARAMUNICH Type 1 55 lb
25lb Briess 2-Row Carapils 50 lb
45lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
40lb Flaked Oats 50 lb

OK folks, I think I am caught up! I created a ton of accounts, so let me know if I missed anyone. Jet lag is still kicking my butt pretty hard, but I think I got the site caught up. Cheers!

T

Any idea on the plan for closing and new tentative pickup date?

Short answer is "No. It depends on you guys."

Longer answer is " We are at 22 sacks closed as of this writing. I added about 6 new accounts yesterday, so if they start ordering it should pick up. Right now we have 24 splits, of which 3 are closed. So if those 21 open splits close, I would proceed with the order. Or if we get about 10 more full sacks and about half the splits close, I would proceed as well. To make it worth the effort, we generally target a minimum of about 40-50 sacks. My complete and total WAG is that we will get to a decent enough amount by the end of this month based on the new folks and people starting to close splits. If either of those peter out, it could be SEPT or even OCT, but likely close at the end of AUG with pickup a few weeks into SEPT. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer but most of the variables are out of my control."

45lb Crisp Brown 55 lb
45lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
45lb Weyermann CARAFA Special Type 3 (dehusked) 55 lb
40lb Flaked Oats 50 lb
40lb Rice Hulls 50 lb Bag
40lb Weyermann Vienna 55 lb
30lb PBW 50 lb
25lb Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 50 Lb
25lb Briess 2-Row Carapils 50 lb
0lb Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
0lb Simpsons Finest Pale Ale Golden Promise 55 lb
0lb Muntons Maris Otter Malt Blend 55 Lb
0lb Briess DME Golden Light 50 lb

+6 sacks closed yesterday, so we are at 28. I have some travel coming up next month, so it would be best if we could close this out sooner or it may have to wait a week or two on me. Dunno yet, but am encouraged it is picking up a bit.

45lb Crisp Brown 55 lb
45lb Weyermann CARAFA Special Type 3 (dehusked) 55 lb
40lb Rice Hulls 50 lb Bag
40lb Weyermann Vienna 55 lb
40lb Briess 2-Row Chocolate 50 lb
35lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
35lb Briess Victory 50 lb
30lb PBW 50 lb
30lb Flaked Oats 50 lb
20lb Weyermann CARAFOAM 55 lb
0lb Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
0lb Simpsons Finest Pale Ale Golden Promise 55 lb
0lb Muntons Maris Otter Malt Blend 55 Lb
0lb Briess DME Golden Light 50 lb
0lb Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 50 Lb
0lb Briess 2-Row Carapils 50 lb

Mike - let me check with them on exact costs/varieties and I will add the premilled to the selection on the site. Still a little jet lagged but should be able to get to this tonight or tomorrow. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back