DC Group Buy #20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Note: - As of Buy #19, we have changed how we do things, so read (re-read!) this to make sure you understand the process!

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

This buy happens about 4-6 times per year. A new thread is posted each time we start a new purchasing round.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...I will setup an account on our ordering web site and it will email you a password. If you decide you will not be buying, PLEASE let me know so I can trim your account. Inactive accounts will likely be deleted after some period of time less than a year.
* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay me at the personal email address I send to you via email when the buy is over. Do not use the email address the server uses! Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. Collating email addresses is a pain! Yes I know some of you well, but there are over 100 people that participate and I am notoriously bad with names, so help me out by using your HBT handle in all communications. If you are not familiar with PayPal make sure you do so before the end of the buy as it does take some time to setup.
* You can pay in advance but I don't encourage this unless you are someone who doesn't check the buy thread ~daily or travel a lot. Remember we can refund you up to 60 days from PayPal and we can always just "pay" you if it goes beyond 60 days.
* We allow splitting of sacks (not most base malts) cuz who keeps 50 pounds of Carafa III in their local storage?
* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC; always on a Saturday from 11AM-noon.
* The pickup will occur the Sat. three weeks after the buy closes, so buy closes Friday night, order goes in Sat. AM, pick up the second Sat. AM at 3 Stars. We will allow LIMITED orders two weeks before. The reason for doing this is it gives 3 Stars 3 chances to order and should greatly reduce us not getting something we order.
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let Stonebrewer know who is picking up your grain
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though we believe the three week rule will eliminate or minimize this
* The price list is on the ordering website and is not to be shared outside this group. Do not post prices in the forum.

* You no longer have to post full sacks or splits on the forum, but if you do post in the forum use a standard format, for example copy and paste the SKU + grain straight off the price list. Something like this:

2 x BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
1 x MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

10# WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.):

* All full sacks and splits are ordered BY YOU on the new web site. This forum is used to communicate mainly the details of the buy AND what splits are currently available.
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask. They can however sell cans, I believe...
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

* We always need help with the buy. Please collect plastic grocery bags and donate them to the cause each time you participate. We need 3-4 sets of scales and we need about 6-8 people to come early and help split sacks (10AM). We label every sack, so make sure your name is on it before taking something, and always check in or out with me.

OK this buy is now open for business. The new site is up and you should have received an email with the new link. Use your old user id and password and delete the old URL from your favorites as it is going away and we will not monitor it, so please use the right website! Cheers!

Thanks again for the organizing and the website.

To cover the costs of website hosting have we considered adding 5 or 10 cents to the price of each sack?

Thanks again for the organizing and the website.

To cover the costs of website hosting have we considered adding 5 or 10 cents to the price of each sack?

Yes, that is the current thinking. I need to calculate how much to tack on. For instance, at 10 cents per sack, we would have to purchase 300 sacks in a year to keep the website going. The last couple of years we have ordered around 229 and 265 sacks in a year. Thinking around 12-15 cents per sack to cover the cost.

reddskinnfan, Jeanne, and Ironedge: accounts have been setup and you should have an email from the site with your temp password, so please login and change it. Let me know if you have any questions on how to use the site.

Splits Available:

Available Product Description
45lb Weyermann Acidulated
25lb Schill Cologne (Kolsch)
30lb Briess White Wheat Malt
30lb Flaked Barley (Unmalted)

About when do you plan to close the buy?

Depends on demand, really. Usually they are 2-4 months apart, with the last one in early May so rough guess would be sometime in AUG. We delayed the start of this one a couple of weeks to get the new website online so it is slow out of the gates.

Things appear to be picking up a bit:

45lb Weyermann Acidulated 55 lb
25lb Schill Cologne (Kolsch) 55 lb
30lb Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
30lb Flaked Barley (Unmalted) 50 lb
55lb Weyermann CARAFOAM 55 lb
45lb Weyermann CARAHELL 55 lb
45lb Simpsons Finest Pale Ale Golden Promise 55 lb

40lb Weyermann Acidulated 55 lb
15lb Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
45lb Weyermann CARAFOAM 55 lb
25lb Simpsons Finest Pale Ale Golden Promise 55 lb
35lb Avangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
25lb Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen 55 Lb
35lb Muntons Maris Otter Malt Blend 55 Lb

Would love to get in on the next buy. Can I please get a login to the website?

Things have been pretty slow lately. I took some of the Munich split and according to the log that was first activity in 12 days.

Things have been pretty slow lately. I took some of the Munich split and according to the log that was first activity in 12 days.

Yup. Wondering if the interactivity of this board playing a lesser part is part of the reason, or everyone has a lot of grain or is not brewing during the summer months?

40lb Weyermann Acidulated 55 lb
15lb Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
35lb Weyermann CARAFOAM 55 lb
25lb Simpsons Finest Pale Ale Golden Promise 55 lb
20lb Avangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
25lb Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen 55 Lb
35lb Muntons Maris Otter Malt Blend 55 Lb

Tony,

I need base malts... Do I need to do the website or can I just do the old way? ;-)

Also, can we request pre-milled bags? I know BSG and CMG do that...

Just noticed that the tentative pickup date for this upcoming buy is Aug 12th. Is there anyone in the Richmond VA or surrounding area participating in this buy?
I'll be out of state on vacation so if anyone is willing to pickup for me and meet on the 14th 15th, I would gladly repay the favor on the next buy. PM me if you'd be willing. thx

Just noticed that the tentative pickup date for this upcoming buy is Aug 12th. Is there anyone in the Richmond VA or surrounding area participating in this buy?
I'll be out of state on vacation so if anyone is willing to pickup for me and meet on the 14th 15th, I would gladly repay the favor on the next buy. PM me if you'd be willing. thx

Based on my schedule and how slow the summer buys usually are, I would think that AUG 12 is a stretch. We are at 7 seven sacks, with no closed splits and it is almost July. Things would have to really pick up for this buy to close that soon...;)

Back