DC Area Group Buy #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Split team should arrive at 10:30-10:45 timeframe. All others should arrive starting at 11-11:15. We need to be done and packed up by 12:30ish.

Don't forget to show your love and buy some hops, yeast, a tee shirt or something from the HBS. I KNOW they were very happy with our purchases last time!! Hopefully they have plenty in stock!

Cheers!

Split team should arrive at 10:30-10:45 timeframe. All others should arrive starting at 11-11:15. We need to be done and packed up by 12:30ish.

Don't forget to show your love and buy some hops, yeast, a tee shirt or something from the HBS. I KNOW they were very happy with our purchases last time!! Hopefully they have plenty in stock!

Cheers!

Will be there at 10:30 or so to start getting the splits worked out (since I am packing most of them up in my vehicle anyway).

BigBeavK,

Can you bring me one or two of those smaller buckets, for some random grain I have around the house?

For those who haven't tried it, Cry Havoc works fast after you get it going. The second step starter (1.036) was done in less than 12 hours. Can't wait to see how it pairs with the 2-row, Honey Malt and Belma Hops (4 oz, 3.5 of which are in last 15 mind of brew).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

For those who haven't tried it, Cry Havoc works fast after you get it going. The second step starter (1.036) was done in less than 12 hours. Can't wait to see how it pairs with the 2-row, Honey Malt and Belma Hops (4 oz, 3.5 of which are in last 15 mind of brew).

Maybe I can steal some small pitch of the Cry Havoc when I pick up my grains from you? Pretty please? :mug:

Will be there at 10:30 or so to start getting the splits worked out (since I am packing most of them up in my vehicle anyway).

BigBeavK,

Can you bring me one or two of those smaller buckets, for some random grain I have around the house?

Speaking of which, please make sure Tony knows if I am picking up for you.

Speaking of which, please make sure Tony knows if I am picking up for you.

Can you bring me one or two of those smaller buckets said:
I'll bring a couple small ones. I hope I can fit everything in my car. I won't be able to use my sons truck so if you see buckets and lids on the beltway you will know I'm ahead of you. :D

Hey Tony: I need a 50 lb sack of rice hulls. Thanks, Ed

Sack added!

I would like to open a new split:

GAM1051: Gambrinus Honey 25 kg (55 lb)

I will take 10#.

Thanks,

-Mike

Opened Split for Gambrinus Honey - 10# for you.

Please put me in for:

20lbs of WEY1005 Weyermann® Pale Wheat 25 kg (55 Lb.)

Thanks!

Jim

Opened Split for Weyermann® Pale Wheat. 20# for you.

I will take 10 lbs on the Gambrinus Honey split.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

10# added to your account.

Sorry to derail this thread again. I just got an email from Farmhouse Brewing Supply about small bales (11 lbs) of several hops. Since I've seen some interest in a Group Buy I thought I'd list it here:

per bale / per lb
Amarillo $190 / 17.27
Centennial $130 / 11.82
Citra $170 /15.45
Chinook $130 / 11.82
Simcoe $170 / 15.45
Sorachi Ace $185 / 16.82

Thanks to reddskinnfan I can add the following details:
2013 crop
leaf hops
$15 shipping per bale (~$1.37 more per pound)

I want to get the following:

1X 3440C Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb
1X 3441C Briess DME Golden Light 50 lb
1X 3443C Briess DME Sparkling Amber 50 lb

Can one of you snap a photo of the events today, let me see what I'm missing?

You got it!

My bad I forgot the picture... I didn't forget your grain though! :)

Speaking of which, when will you, Sven and Al be able to pick up your stuff?

I'd like to start a split of rice hulls since we're using so much wheat around here now:

10# -- 3262C Rice Hulls 50 lb Bag

I'll take more if we don't close it out since they're so cheap.

I'd like to start a split of rice hulls since we're using so much wheat around here now:

10# -- 3262C Rice Hulls 50 lb Bag

I'll take more if we don't close it out since they're so cheap.

Added one split of 50# Rice Hulls. First 10# for you.

Heck, I paid more for 5# at the LHBS here. I'll take 10# too:
10# Rice Hulls - 3262C

Thank you!

Add me for 10#, please.

Good choice, done!

I was thinking of adding 20# of Pale Wheat, but may actually need a whole bag soon.

That Weyermann's Pale Wheat (1.7-2.4 °L) retains a high diastatic power (at least for wheat) and can be used up to 80% in the grist which is kinda unique. Most other wheat malts are typically only up to 50%.

i hope you guys know what you are in for splitting rice hulls.... talk about a ****ing mess.

We like living on the splitting edge and already survived DME. Now we're trying something new.

I heard that before when I planned a split last group buy (or the one before) :ban:

but as Frits said - what the heck! I'll take 10 pounds, please!

You got it.
Only 10 pounds left. Stefin?

Good choice, done!

I was thinking of adding 20# of Pale Wheat, but may actually need a whole bag soon.

That Weyermann's Pale Wheat (1.7-2.4 °L) retains a high diastatic power (at least for wheat) and can be used up to 80% in the grist which is kinda unique. Most other wheat malts are typically only up to 50%.
i'm skipping out on this malt because a protein rest is advised. single infusions only for this boy.

The DME does sound tougher! I'll help with the sweeping if it all goes south.

You're hired!

One DME bag was leaking and left a sticky trail on the floor of a Tyson Corner parking garage. We have witnesses.
The quart measuring cup we used got thicker with every scoop, the more so toward the end. We poured from the cup straight into zipper bags. Later, I made a yeast starter from the salvaged cup.:rockin:

Handling rice hulls pales in that regard, they aren't sticky, just voluminous.

i'm skipping out on this malt because a protein rest is advised. single infusions only for this boy.

+11^ That's a really good observation.

Using any large percentage of wheat or high protein adjunct would benefit from a protein rest and it surely makes mashing more complicated. Also more interesting and challenging for the adventurous ones.

Alright...adding a few bags and a few splits...good thing I always bring beer for Fritz and Tony!!
2 bags - RAH1002 - Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb
1 bag - CRI1001 - Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 55 lb

Splits:
1 bag - RAH1005 - Rahr Premium Pilsner 50 lb - I want 35 lbs
1 bag - WEY1009 - Weyermann Rye Malt 55 lb - I want 30 lbs
1 bag - RAH1008 - Rahr White Wheat 50 lb - I want 30 lbs

Potentially more to come, but I'll start with that. :mug:

You're hired!

One DME bag was leaking and left a sticky trail on the floor of a Tyson Corner parking garage. We have witnesses.
The quart measuring cup we used got thicker with every scoop, the more so toward the end. We poured from the cup straight into zipper bags. Later, I made a yeast starter from the salvaged cup.:rockin:

Handling rice hulls pales in that regard, they aren't sticky, just voluminous.

I agree with Stefin, having attempted a split at his place...rice hulls are a huge pain!! They pack those things in tighter than, well...I don't have a clean joke for that.
No doubt the price is hard to beat...but they're also damn near impossible to get out of the bag to weigh. Plan on bringing contractors bags!!

I'll some of that Rye:

10# Weyermann Rye Malt

Also, on a sidenote, I didn't see the e-mail with the link to the new group buy folder. My contact info should still be #7 folder, but if it's not, I can PM it again. Also, thanks again to everyone involved with organizing this buy! It's a great resource.

Latest posts

Back