DC Area Group Buy #15

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to change my order. (Sorry)
Please delete the sack of Maris otter

Add:
1x 1928c Briess 2-row Brewers malt (making it 2 total sacks)
1x 1852c Avangard pale ale

Thanks a lot!
PS. The grainfather is the TRUTH!! I'll have beers from the system at the pick up

OK, up to date and we are at 29 sacks filled, 3 likely splits makes it 32, so we need about 8 more and we close. Get your orders in quick as this could close this weekend or next. Cheers!!

Wow...didn't realize it was this close to the close. Can I get in on:

Avangard Premium Vienna - 15lbs

That is all for now but I will hopefully throw in for a full sack of something tomorrow when I am ready to actually think about things and check my stock. Also, if there is trouble closing the Vienna I will take the last 5lb at the end.

Thanks
Patrick

Wow...didn't realize it was this close to the close. Can I get in on:

Avangard Premium Vienna - 15lbs

That is all for now but I will hopefully throw in for a full sack of something tomorrow when I am ready to actually think about things and check my stock. Also, if there is trouble closing the Vienna I will take the last 5lb at the end.

Thanks
Patrick

OK. I'll take the remaining 5 lbs of Vienna.

Vienna is closed.

Splits Available:
Dingemans Cara 20 ---------------40
Weyermann CARAHELL -----------45
Briess 2-Row Carapils Malt --------10
Weyermann CARAFOAM -----------45
Flaked Oats ------------------------15

Can I add --

1x CRI1002 Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)
1x WEY1010 Weyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner 25 kg (55 lb)

Thanks!

Can I add --

1x CRI1002 Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)
1x WEY1010 Weyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner 25 kg (55 lb)

Thanks!

Sure can! Please note that the floor malted bopils is VERY spotty, in that we only get it about 40% of the time we order it. So if you are counting on it for a brew day, I would have a backup plan in mind!! We do close the buy a few weeks ahead of pickup so we can order several times, so maybe you want to give it a shot and if it doesn't make it on the first order do something else...

Splits Available:
Weyermann CARAFOAM -----------35

Sure can! Please note that the floor malted bopils is VERY spotty, in that we only get it about 40% of the time we order it. So if you are counting on it for a brew day, I would have a backup plan in mind!! We do close the buy a few weeks ahead of pickup so we can order several times, so maybe you want to give it a shot and if it doesn't make it on the first order do something else...

Splits Available:

Thanks for the heads up on the WEY1010. Let's give it a shot & see what happens!

i would like to start a split of Vienna, on behalf of a friend. when crunch time comes, we might close it out.

1862C x Avangard Malz Premium Vienna 55 Lb

i'll take 25 pounds.

please put me down for:
1X Rahr 2-row

and starting a few splits:

25# Avangard Vienna
25# Avangard Light Munich
10# Avangard Caramel-8

Sorry, changed my mind, please cancel:

1X Rahr 2 row

and instead I would like:

1X Avangard Malz Premium Pale Ale 55 Lb

Also, starting a new split:

25# 1961C Muntons Maris Otter Extra Pale 55 Lb

Hi All,

I will take the remaining Maris Otter Extra Pale.

30# 1961C Muntons Maris Otter Extra Pale 55 Lb

Cheers,

Kirk

Holy crap, Batman! 15 minutes to close a split...must be a record! And this buy is coming to a quick completion as well. We are at 36 sacks and counting. Get in this buy now as it will close pretty soon I suspect! Only 5 pounds of Carapils left, so someone close that out...

Splits Available:
Briess 2-Row Carapils Malt --------5
Avangard Malz Premium Vienna---30

The sheets are up to date so please double check your orders when you have a second.

When you do a split, how does that work? Do you weigh it out there or somewhere else? I'll be driving about an hour and a half to pick up my grains and might be interested in some of that CARAFOAM if the splits go smoothly.

People gather at the brewery before the time of the pickup with tables, scales, buckets, and plastic bags and weigh out each part of the split. Reddskinnfan usually makes up labels for each spit and teams of two or more go to town getting it all divided up. From what I know of it it is a very smooth and efficient process (other than DME) that is all wrapped up around the time the pickup starts at 11am. I would highly recommend getting in on any splits you are interested in as it gets you some specialty grains for a ridiculously low price and it helps out the group getting the splits closed up.

When you do a split, how does that work? Do you weigh it out there or somewhere else? I'll be driving about an hour and a half to pick up my grains and might be interested in some of that CARAFOAM if the splits go smoothly.

I've shown up "early" to several buys and still haven't seen the splits take place. Those guys knock them out quickly.

One quick note. I highly recommend making it out to the pick up as it is a fun time meeting the group, sharing stories and brew, and picking up supplies and growlers to support 3 stars. However, don't get deterred from ordering if you can't make it to the pick up. Many people have others pick up their grain and work out a pick up on the side if they can't make it due to other commitments. Just throw a message up on here and you might be able to find someone that is on the way to Southern Maryland and work out something closer to you.

Thanks, I fully anticipate making it up there. I'm excited to meet some new brewers and to check out 3 Stars. Can I bring my own growlers or do they only fill their own?

we have this down to a science. some folks volunteer to show up early with scales and energy, weigh out the splits and put them in bags/buckets/etc. so you have one of two choices: show up early and help with the splits (old timers will show you how it's done), or show up "late" (10:30 onwards) and just pick up your grains.

what you don't have a choice about it meeting a great group of brewers, hanging out and shooting the sh*t. typically folks bring samples of their brews to share. feel free to being a bottle or three of your creations. zero worries if you can't, there is plenty to go around.

and to check out 3 Stars. Can I bring my own growlers or do they only fill their own?
i don't know about the growler situation (i've only ever bought bottles from 3 Stars) but be advised that they are only allowed filling growlers and serving pints at 1:00 pm. often the grain buy is done before then, so some hanging around might be required before growlers can be filled. occasionally they've been willing to open the taps a little before 1:00, but don't count on it. often there are enough grain buy samples, and grain buy stragglers, to keep you entertained until 1:00.

I have filled growlers from other places in the past without issue. They also have a round of free samples you can taste once the tasting room opens at 1pm that is a nice way to figure out what you are interested in.

Everyone start thinking about getting buckets ready for the buy or contributing bags.

I don't have anymore buckets available for the group and I haven't heard from @BigBeavK in a while so I assume those buckets are no longer available.

HD orange buckets are like $2 each. I would look at bringing those or grocery bags.

I'd like to get in on this please:

1X RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

Thanks!

Holy crap, Batman! 15 minutes to close a split...must be a record! And this buy is coming to a quick completion as well. We are at 36 sacks and counting. Get in this buy now as it will close pretty soon I suspect! Only 5 pounds of Carapils left, so someone close that out...

Splits Available:

Briess 2-Row Carapils Malt --------5

Avangard Malz Premium Vienna---30

The sheets are up to date so please double check your orders when you have a second.

Hey, I'll take that last 5# of carapils to close out that bag. Thanks!

I don't have anymore buckets available for the group and I haven't heard from @BigBeavK in a while so I assume those buckets are no longer available.

HD orange buckets are like $2 each. I would look at bringing those or grocery bags.

I pm'd bigbeavK a couple of weeks ago to let him know another buy was gaining momentum. There weren't any immediate plans for a production run at his site and didn't know when one was coming up. I llve near his place of work so it's no big deal for me grab any buckets if they become available.

Sheets are updated; check em when you have time. 40 lbs each of C20 and CaraHELL, 30 of CaraFOAM, 15 of Vienna, and 45 of Honey are available as splits. Sitting at 38 full sacks...I will order after we hit 40 or so...

I'd like the following:

1X RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

10# - Weyermann CARAFOAM
10# - Avangard Malz Premium Vienna

Back