Dark Munich From Avangard is 15L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKing

Reaction score
The past couple of times I've ordered Munich Dark malt it's always seemed to be in the 8-10 lovibond range.
This time around the Avangard Munich Dark showed up at 15 lovibond.
I was planning on using this for a Munich Dunkel, but am not sure if I should or not.

I do have some Munich Light on hand as well, so maybe 50% of each for the grain bill.

Haven't found too much information on Munich in this range, is it common? Is it getting into a lighter Cara-Munich type of grain?
Is it nothing to be concerned about, and just roll with it.......any feedback and information is appreciated.

I do have some Munich Light on hand as well, so maybe 50% of each for the grain bill.

That sounds like a reasonable plan... adjust as needed to come close to your original overall target color (i.e. beer SRM).

Haven't found too much information on Munich in this range, is it common? Is it getting into a lighter Cara-Munich type of grain?

No. Caramunich is a caramel malt, and not really similar to any Munich base malt.

That's indeed high. Any indication of its Diastatic Power? Or maximum usage?
Weyermann's Munich Type 2 ("Dark" @8-10°Lovibond) is self convertible with 50°Lintner and can be used at 100%.

Make sure your Light Munich has plenty of DP to do most of the conversion at 50% of your grist mix. I doubt the Dark variety at 15° Lovibond has much DP left.
Maybe do a small test mash?

That's indeed high. Any indication of its Diastatic Power? Or maximum usage?

I've never seen Diastatic Power listed for Avangard Munich Malts. Here's a picture:
IFdjhni.png

In the text, they do say use "up to 100%," FWIW.

I've made a beer with almost all Avangard dark munich. It converted fine and was good!

Latest posts

Back