Critique method of dry-hopping in keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
First time I'm dry-hopping in a keg, so just want to make sure I'm doing this right:

From what I've read, the way to go is as follows:

1. Ferment X weeks
2. Rack to keg
3. Dry-hop in keg for 7-10 days at room temperature (~71F)
4. Remove hops (I usually use a strainer bag)
5. Crash cool in keezer for 3 days
6. Force carb for 2 weeks.
7. Enjoy.

Does this sound about right? Can I get rid of step 4 and leave the hops in for the duration the keg is in operation (~2 months) or would this lead to off-flavors?

Put crash as 1.5.

I don't pull the keg to warm; I dry hop at kegerator temps, with car CO2, about 1.5 weeks, depending on taste.

Hey Henry...from what i've read the dry-hopping doesnt work as well (read: takes longer) if dry-hopping at keezer temps as opposed to room temp.

You dont find that to be an issue?

First time I'm dry-hopping in a keg, so just want to make sure I'm doing this right:

From what I've read, the way to go is as follows:

1. Ferment X weeks
2. Rack to keg
3. Dry-hop in keg for 7-10 days at room temperature (~71F)
4. Remove hops (I usually use a strainer bag)
5. Crash cool in keezer for 3 days
6. Force carb for 2 weeks.
7. Enjoy.

Does this sound about right? Can I get rid of step 4 and leave the hops in for the duration the keg is in operation (~2 months) or would this lead to off-flavors?

I love dry hopping at ~72F. Strainer bag worked good till I added too many hops and it was a PITA to get the bag out. Glass marbles or SS nuts/bolts tied down with some unflavored dental floss.

was that in the keg you had problems getting it out? or in the carboy?

The keg. The bag swelled and it was rough squeezing it out of the keg. I was paranoid of contaminating my keg, so I used a ton of sanitizer while removing the hops and sealing the keg back up.

Ferment 4 weeks. Swirl the fermenter at 3.5 weeks.

It's quicker at room temp, but I never rush. I'd prefer not let beer warm after it's been crashed.

Back