Craft Beer MAW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't participated due to the last MAW I granted, I sent my last New Glarus Very Sour Blackberry and it was put up for trade less than 24 hours after he received it.
If I could ask for it back, I would.

This right here. Big part of it. Nothing personal toward JonGrafto or his recipient in what I'm about to say...

If a MAW grant goes on the trading block moments after it is unwrapped, then this thread has become an entirely different thing than (I believe) it was ever intended to be. This--along with some other behaviors here--draws into question (at least for me) the integrity of people's MAW lists. I doubt anybody here is really sweating the "hard lists" that people are putting up. I imagine we all expect you're going to put up your most lusted-after beers first, and expand from there. That's been the case since the very beginning.

And it's inevitable and natural that lists will get progressively harder in a thread like this. That's fine.

The difference that I'm seeing lately is the reason certain beers end up on people's lists, or how lists appear to be created (granted it could be just my assumption). We all want what we want. But if our level of want is based on bottle count, hype, BA rankings, and trade value, then it changes the nature of this MAW.

Listen, if some guy wants to "trade up" his MAW haul in an ISO:FT, who are we to judge? It's his business, not ours. It does hurt when you've personally given that beer that you had only one of and it was so hard to let go. I'm sure we all felt JonGrafto's pain that day and understood why. But if a guy wants to do that, he can. It's now his beer to do with as he pleases. It's not up to us to police it; this is an open forum.

If a guy's priority of want is based on rarity, rankings, or trade value, so be it. It's what he wants. If a guy asks for quantity rather than trusting that he will be rewarded for paying it forward (as far as I know nobody here has been screwed by a grantor), or if he wants to take auction-style offers via pm, I guess we can't control that. It's his list.

It just changes the nature of this MAW.

Wow I hadn't been keeping up with his thread for a couple days, it's like I missed a Come to Jesus meeting. There is certainly a lot of good points, and I don't think anyone is wrong in their opinion of the state of the MAW.

While I haven't been able to grant any of the recent MAW lists recently, I still like how the lists have evolved. I remember when this thread was in the infancy stage, I looked at some of the beers on the lists and had to look them up to see what they were - come to find out I also wanted them all of a sudden!

Part of being generous, is not expecting immediate reciprocity from the next guy. I'd rather see a hard list of someone's top wants up first, I know I've posted that way to begin with, and added later. If anything, I've seen people feeling bad they are holding up the MAW, not feel bad because it's taking too long for their MAW to be granted.

And I agree, keep it at 2, but make it clear which beers as a single will count as a full grant. A lot of the lists are very similar in the initial post, hoping to catch the right set of eyes at the right time. I can name a handful of beers that most of us would take as a single beer grant, with little to no extras.

It's been a lot of fun thus far, and I don't see that changing anytime soon!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Lost bump and clarification (is that a Russian River sour?).

Starting to get the sour itch....don't
really want farmhouse/saisons. Sours with fruit other than cherry I'd listen to for the most part but the few below I know are popular and highly rated. As always feel free to pm me if you've got ideas but here's a start. I know a few are huge whales so if be open to filling in with extras for those.

Sitr peaches
V013
750ml RR sours or 3L (!)
Vsb
Atrial
CC
HF juicy, mimosa
Peche&brett
Fuzzy
Beat
Flora blueberry

Db Huna
Db Damon
Ba Everett
Mocha Wednesday
Ba Dark Lord (not the spicy one)
Rare

If you have any one of these and want to fill in with other local goodies (sours preferred) that works.

Damn I have a BADL but it is spiced. ( earl of biggleswade)
Hopefully somebody can grant this

So are we still at 2 beers off the list? What about extras? Are they required? I feel like extras shouldn't be asked for in the maw. If they are that kind of takes away from "extra"

Damn I have a BADL but it is spiced. ( earl of biggleswade)
Hopefully somebody can grant this

So are we still at 2 beers off the list? What about extras? Are they required? I feel like extras shouldn't be asked for in the maw. If they are that kind of takes away from "extra"

I bet if you PM'd mike he'd be interested in that. ;)

"Extras" aren't required, but if you go back at look at all the hits, I don't think you'll find any 2-bottle packages.

When I first joined HBT and saw this thread I was excited because I thought my Founders Doom & Bolt Cutter was a tough one to find and I'd be able to grant someone's wish ... I was way off haha.

When I first joined HBT and saw this thread I was excited because I thought my Founders Doom & Bolt Cutter was a tough one to find and I'd be able to grant someone's wish ... I was way off haha.

I think bolt cutter may have been on one or two of the earlier lists. I gave one as an extra in a grant though

Great. My whales are your extras. Haha

It's all relative. I think the 2 hits off that list were a Westy and an RR sour, but the lists have gotten a lot tougher recently. I put regular BCBS on my first list, but now those are extras. I've had nothing off the last bunch of lists.

Bump

Lost bump and clarification (is that a Russian River sour?).

really want farmhouse/saisons. Sours with fruit other than cherry I'd listen to for the most part but the few below I know are popular and highly rated. As always feel free to pm me if you've got ideas but here's a start. I know a few are huge whales so if be open to filling in with extras for those.

Sitr peaches
V013
750ml RR sours or 3L (!)
Vsb
Atrial
CC
HF juicy, mimosa
Peche&brett
Fuzzy
Beat
Flora blueberry

Db Huna
Db Damon
Ba Everett
Mocha Wednesday
Ba Dark Lord (not the spicy one)
Rare

If you have any one of these and want to fill in with other local goodies (sours preferred) that works.

I think you gave that Bolt Cutter to me! Way back in the day lol.

I think the spirit of the thread has certainly diminished.
1)It is no longer entirely made up of true members (BA/RB traders found us and needed another tick, so quick hit 100 posts in 90 days and "trade" away, and then dont actually contibute a damned thing to HBT). This is why I am hesitant to grant a list/trade with new people here.
2) There is absolutely a level of BA ratings, bottle count, and beer envy that gets certain beer on the lists.

That being said, I am guilty just like a lot of us. Who doesnt want the latest release? The hottest product?

There are still plenty of us who are good to each other. I definitely can't grant the level of some of the things I ask for sometimes, but I know Im not getting it by any chance if I dont ask. Also, as far as the bottle count, I've listed a bunch that I would take only one of in the past. I wouldnt agree with changing the the official rule, though. The way the thread has always gone, I think, is that you ask for what you want the most (which tends to be the rarest and craziest), and then add as time goes on.

Anyway, thats my take. Keep calm and MAW on. RDWHAHB. etc etc. Lets get back to positivity!

Added some....

Sitr peaches
V013
750ml RR sours or 3L (!)*
Vsb*
Atrial
CC*
HF juicy, mimosa*
Peche&brett
Fuzzy*
Beat*
Flora blueberry*

Db Huna*
Db Damon*
Ba Everett*
Mocha Wednesday
Ba Dark Lord (not the spicy one)*
Rare*

Mexican Cake (ba versions=*)
Southampton RIS bomber
CL hops and roses
Bcbvs*
11 or earlier Black Ops
Black and Wild*
Upland dark and light synth
Antead (any)
BA Abraxas*

If you have any one of these with * and want to fill in with other local goodies (sours preferred) that works.

Wow, I need a moment to recover from this porch bomb! So ****ing stoked! Pics to come. Thank you so much Javier25!

IMG_20140605_173835_040.jpg

Left to right:
GI - Madame Rose
WWBV (Long time want, thanks so much!)
Persica B2 (Seriously!?)
L'Brett D'Plum (This sounds amazing!)
St. Bretta Spring (I didn't even know there were variations)
St. Bretta Winter
TPS Report
Red Swing line
Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

I am so stoked to get these. And he played it up like he was sending the least exciting beers on my list in his initial pm. I am blown away. Thanks so much Javier!!!!!!

View attachment 203910

Left to right:
GI - Madame Rose
Persica B2 (Seriously!?)
St. Bretta Winter
TPS Report
Red Swing line

I am so stoked to get these. And he played it up like he was sending the least exciting beers on my list in his initial pm. I am blown away. Thanks so much Javier!!!!!!

Nice hit. I bet you'll love that Red Swingline. Its my new favorite sour that I dont have to wait in line or trade the world for.

View attachment 203910

Left to right:
GI - Madame Rose
Persica B2 (Seriously!?)
St. Bretta Winter
TPS Report
Red Swing line

Hey man, I'm glad you're happy with what I sent. Some of those I've never tried so am looking forward to seeing you're check ins on untappd! I truely enjoyed sending you what I did, even though I kept thinking it wasn't enough lol seriously, I'd see a few beers and be like "damnit! I should have sent that too"
But yea, I am glad that you're happy!

I seriously don't know how you could have doubted this box. I would have been happy with the WWBV and Persica alone. Thanks again!

View attachment 203910

Left to right:
GI - Madame Rose
Persica B2 (Seriously!?)
St. Bretta Winter
TPS Report
Red Swing line

And great hits like these land and faith in the MAW is restored. That is the first time I remember one of the WWB colors landing. Great box!

I guess it shows that it's ok to let go of some things that you don't want to let go of. I wouldn't even trade for the wwbv or the persica, but it's a much better feeling to know that I made someone happy. hell, he may even drink them! They'd just be sitting on a shelf at my house. I totally have faith in MAW, you should all have faith in it too!

I guess it shows that it's ok to let go of some things that you don't want to let go of. I wouldn't even trade for the wwbv or the persica, but it's a much better feeling to know that I made someone happy. hell, he may even drink them! They'd just be sitting on a shelf at my house. I totally have faith in MAW, you should all have faith in it too!

This man should be at the top of the BIF list.

He killed my MAW wish months ago with avery limiteds and a chocolate rain.

Props to you buddy, PROPS to you! :rockin::mug:

Gonna look into adding more through the weekend but any recommendations sour wise would be nice. Liked sanctification and want to try fruited sours for sure.

From The Bruery i'd recomend melange 1(not fruited but a combonof bt and oude tart), sitr kumquat, sans pagaie, the wanderer, oude tart cherries. I'm almost positive theyre all rs beers. Fou foune and rose de gambrinus are a few goodies from cantillon. Almanacs Dogpatch sour, valley of the hearts delight, and farmers reserve are all good. Riserva from weyerbacher is my all time fave. 2012 is my favorite. Some other great sours are gi lolita, madame rose, and juliet. Regular Sour in the rye and oude tart are great. From jolly pumpkin, la roja, fuego del otono, luciernaga, maricaibo especial, noel de calabaza, oro de calabaza, and sobrehumano palena'ola. From Jester king RU55 and oi oi are phenominal. Those are some sour beera i've had. They may not be considered maw worthy but all very good beers that I'd be happy to get in a maw box.

Thanks for the recommendation. I know my bottle shop has a decent amount of those so that's a good start for me in addition to anything I may get here.
Cheers all!

Added some more

Sitr peaches
V013
750ml RR sours or 3L (!)*
Vsb*
Atrial
CC*
HF juicy, mimosa*
Peche&brett
Fuzzy*
Beat*
Flora blueberry*

Db Huna*
Db Damon*
Ba Everett*
Mocha Wednesday
Ba Dark Lord (not the spicy one)*
Rare*

Mexican Cake (ba versions=*)
Southampton RIS bomber
CL hops and roses
Bcbvs*
11 or earlier Black Ops
Black and Wild*
Upland dark and light synth
Antead (any)
BA Abraxas*
De garde (Berliner weisse??)
11' or earlier Dark Lord
Newest batch Gray Monday

If you have any one of these with * and want to fill in with other local goodies (sours preferred) that works.

Added two. Removed two that I have headed to me via trade now (nocturn and plout).

Also it's my birthday Thursday if anyone needs to buy wrapping paper when they grant. Or steamers. Or cool Star Wars masks....

Back