Coor's Disposable Keg = Party Pig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone seen these in Iowa yet? I asked at the hy-vee and they said they didnt know if or when they would get them.

yes, i have seen these in iowa; only seen them at a kum and go gas station, though. i don't think it would be hard to be able to use them again, either. just prime the beer while it's in the mini-keg and find a CO2 cartridge that fits the cartridge holder.
the question is: what size is the CO2 cartridge?

How do you properly sanitize the draft portion if there is no pressure to run sanitizer fluid through the system?

Also, I am going to be putting some Apfelwein in this, since that can take a long time to carb naturally, I'm thinking of just using a couple of cartridges and force carbing in a week or so? Thoughts?

How do you properly sanitize the draft portion if there is no pressure to run sanitizer fluid through the system?

Shake it and it'll create a little bit of pressure, then again you could always just squeeze the bottle a bit. :D

Let gravity do the work for you. Disconnect the draft portion, pull it out of the bottle, hold it vertically with the weighted straw thing down and pour sanitizer in through the spout (making sure it is open of course).

In my experience the bottles are fragile in that it is really easy to put creases in the plastic. I would advise against squeezing it.

I made a 5 gal BMC clone to try in the Coors Light homedraft bottle. I used 1/2 C boiled sugar for the 5 gal batch. I filled the coors bottle and put the remainder in a corny keg. After 1 week naturally carbing the bottle was hard. Now I have beer seeping out of the tap. I think I got too much pressure in the bottle. I opened the tap to relieve the pressure. After a day or two it started to leak out the tap again. I figured I had to drink it since it was all leaking out slowly. I put in a new co2 cartridge and the beer was coming out one drop every second.
Has anyone taken the tap apart? Is there a seal that I can replace? Any ideas?
Thanks.

Has anyone had any issues with the needle that punctures the CO2 carts? I tried this last night with two of the miller kegs and one of the needles broke (or so it seems, it's gone now). Is this a common thing, or was my experience a rare one? Just curious if I should try again with a new container or just screw it and get the TAD?

When I put in my 2nd cartridge to dispense, it leaked everywhere. I was sad, as I had no other co2.

When I put in my 2nd cartridge to dispense, it leaked everywhere. I was sad, as I had no other co2.

I'm having this issue as well with the fitting using the cartridges from Midwest supply. I've blown through about 3 of these now and they just leak out the top once the pin is punctured. Luckily I had one of the original Coors Light ones and saved my keg, but I'm not sure where what to do with the other two kegs.

Has anyone had any issues with the needle that punctures the CO2 carts? I tried this last night with two of the miller kegs and one of the needles broke (or so it seems, it's gone now). Is this a common thing, or was my experience a rare one? Just curious if I should try again with a new container or just screw it and get the TAD?

The needle is just press fit into place, and mine falls out about every other time I change out a cartridge. Just be careful when you pull the spent cartridge out so that you don't lose it and it just slips right back into place.

That is by far the gayest thing I have ever seen...If it was my "favorite" beer I wouldn't have a problem. I'd rather spend the extra money and buy another corny.

That is by far the gayest thing I have ever seen...If it was my "favorite" beer I wouldn't have a problem. I'd rather spend the extra money and buy another corny.

I personally think it's a great way to bring beer to a get-to-gether without bottling. Kind of like a growler that doesn't lose carbonation.

I personally think it's a great way to bring beer to a get-to-gether without bottling. Kind of like a growler that doesn't lose carbonation.

my thoughts exactly!! besides I love those commercials

"stale cup of O J? how about NO J!"

I can see putting your own beer in it being a good idea...I can't wrap my head around paying 20$ for one, and having to drink it before putting it to use.

I'd rather by the 2-3 gallon kegs they sell...a bit expensive but they will last forever

I can see putting your own beer in it being a good idea...I can't wrap my head around paying 20$ for one, and having to drink it before putting it to use.

I'd rather by the 2-3 gallon kegs they sell...a bit expensive but they will last forever

The whole point of this thing is so you don't have invest in a whole kegging system, let alone find and pay for a 3 gallon keg, just to serve some homebrew on tap. This is much cheaper, convenient, and portable too.

Also, anyone find c02 cartridges that work best in this thing?

I may have missed this but has anyone found Nitrogen Cartridges? This would be really cool for a Guinness Clone.

I have one of the Coors light mini kegs. I'm going to put some of my first batch of Ale in it and bottle the rest. Just getting started in beer making and this is a great intermediate step for me rather than having to buy a keg system. When I progress further in brewing, I'll definitely have a keg system. I already have the bar in the basement, but I've never really used it.

Too bad some of the better beer company's don't do this. If Guinness made one of these, it would be in my fridge all the time.

Ok so I received the ISI cartridges today. I was a little discouraged after comparing them to the OEM cartridge since the neck was a bit smaller. However I donated one to science and was happy to discover that it worked perfectly. Here's a picture of the sizing difference:

PQuAJ.jpg

The ISI body is about the same width as the OEM cartridge and the neck is slightly smaller than the OEM. The Leland cartridges from Midwest Supplies are narrower on the neck and the body. The Leland cartridge fails for two reasons. The body is too narrow, causing it to wobble around in the plastic housing. I tried wrapping a little duct tape around it. It was snug but it still leaked because the neck is too narrow, causing the o-ring seal to fail.

So, the ISI Beer cartridge is the best replacement I've found and the Leland ones have almost all failed. I would recommend pulling out the hooded o-ring from the tap and mounting it on the ISI cartridge neck before screwing it in to the tap, as it can get folded over and cause a leak.

Here's a link to the Amazon page for the ISI carts. If anyone finds them cheaper (shipped) please let me know.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013O2956/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it would be good time to find some BMC drinkers and invite them over for a cold one!

Hmm... I've bottled and tapped twice and both times used the Leland CO2. No leaks for me. I even had some gas left over in the end. Maybe I'm just lucky? I have two more ready to "tap", I'll be using the same CO2 carts. It won't be until Thanksgiving though.

I think that $20 each is not bad because a tap a draft system with 3 bottles and only one tap costs $65 but $60 will get you 3 Coors light bottles with 3 taps plus you get all the beer too. As an aside I discovered that WD-40 removes the label glue easily.

My idea is to get more bottles from Mid west. I have TAD already and this coors setup gives me another tap. I don't need more than two going at a time.

Ok not to piss any1 off but i dont think some of you are beer drinkers? why might you ask is that in my 21 yeasrs of drinking beer i have yet and i mean yet to have a bad beer!!!! Yes some is better than others but all beer is good beer. and im am going to drink every drop of the coors keg i picked up 2nite . it shouldnt take to long as im over half way through it as i try and type this. lol.
so dont knock it, beer is beer just not what i make, but i will still drink it!:mug:

The key is to start with homebrew, and then a few (read 4ish) in, crappy beer doesn't taste so crappy.

I wont drink **** beer if I don't have to, but the choice is yours.

The whole point of this thing is so you don't have invest in a whole kegging system, let alone find and pay for a 3 gallon keg, just to serve some homebrew on tap. This is much cheaper, convenient, and portable too.

Also, anyone find c02 cartridges that work best in this thing?

I just ordered some 16g threaded cartridges. The threads won't do a thing but the neck on them is 3/8" which more closely matches the one shipped in the Miller system.

Won't know for sure until I get them. Decent prices here: http://www.redrockminnesota.com/servlet/StoreFront

a buddy of mine gave me one that he emptied. looks like you could possibly unscrew the cartridge, and us a new one for homebrew.still would have to carb your beer normally, this would just keep it under pressure after opened so it wouldn't go flat. i think i'll give it a try next time i bottle. has anyone done this before
oops...just realized there are 20 pages to this thread. guess i have some reading to do.

HSM- Good find! let us know soon how they work.
Beerbeque

The diameter of the nozzle is a perfect fit to the o-ring and the threads don't get in the way.

The only downside is that the threaded version is a mm or 2 taller and wider. I was able to push the cartridge into the housing by hand but it's a tight fit. Since it's a little taller you can get to about a half turn of the green arrows touching. Neither is a show stopper. I carbed up some StarSan last night, no leaks and still under pressure today.

The diameter of the nozzle is a perfect fit to the o-ring and the threads don't get in the way.

The only downside is that the threaded version is a mm or 2 taller and wider. I was able to push the cartridge into the housing by hand but it's a tight fit. Since it's a little taller you can get to about a half turn of the green arrows touching. Neither is a show stopper. I carbed up some StarSan last night, no leaks and still under pressure today.

Got a link to the exact cartridge you purchased, or was it just the food-grade 16g threaded ones on there? Thanks!

so does this thing work well? do they come with any good beers? if they had killians in one of these i would go for it

Back