Clawhammer’s Non-Alcoholic BIAB Party Gyle Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HutBrew

Reaction score
After waiting just over two weeks from pitching US-05 I’m tasting my first NA beer.

It’s…… decent! Tastes more like hop water than an NA beer though. I do enjoy carbonated hop water so this is rather refreshing to me. Will be great to make some for summer, when it rolls back around.

Still rather bitter, but not any more than an IPA. However, I’ll probably only do a 20m boil next time, with 10m, and FO hops.

Whole darn batch only cost me about $5 in hops, $4 in yeast, and maybe a buck in propane. This is worth 10 dollars and an extra 40 minutes to my brew day IMO.

Recipe:

30m boil, 6gallons
1.007 OG
1.001 FG

Spent grains from a 5gal batch of Dortmunder Export Lager (sparged with about 3/4th of a gallon)

Hops:
25m 0.5oz each, Mosaic and Citra
0m 0.5oz each, Mosaic and Citra

Yeast:
1 whole Sachet US-05

Chilled to 75*F and poured directly into a 5 gal keg. NO spunding valve used. Pressure release valve *quickly* pulled twice over two weeks to confirm carbonation and fermentation occured.

Pressure transferred to 2, 8L Oxebar kegs. Left on 15psi for 3 days before trying.

Pic:
E0553F0B-A433-49F8-99B2-55BAE1807733.jpeg

I'm planning on making an NA(ish) beer next, but I'm going to do a hot mash and see how it turns out. I want to do a version of Janet's brown ale. Recipe is going to be:

1.5 lbs munich
.5 lbs crystal 40
.25 lbs carapils
.25 lbs chocolate

Mash @180 for 30 min

Hops
14g NB (Mash)
14g NB (30)
5g NB (15)
5g Cascade (10)
20g Cascade (Flameout)
28g Centennial (whirlpool)

Did you batch sparge for the second? Full volume? I like how easy this could be. I might just move my bag of grains into my HLT, remove squeeze and boil in there. No chill into a keg, cool over night. Ferment, spund and serve from the same keg. That’s pretty low effort!

Essentially, yes. I use a brewzilla, so I removed my basket (bag) from my boiling kettle into another kettle. I only sparge (pour-over the basket “fly-sparge”) to get my preboil volume for my alchoholic batch.

I then move my entire basket (or bag in your case) to a different kettle and fill completely to pre-boil volume for my “N-A” batch. Let that “mash” for ~20m iirc. Test for SG, should be no higher than 1.006. If higher, do some math, then dilute with the proper amount of water to reach 1.005.

Remove grain basket/bag. Boil for 30m adding hops as desired.
Straight to the keg chill/no chill whatever you prefer, pitch yeast and wait 2 weeks.

Yes, even easier is to serve from the same keg- i just transferred it to try out my oxebars- and to free up the corny for another batch.

I tried the Clawhammer method out using the spent grains from a barley wine recipe recently. That recipe was about 20 lbs. of grain, so I just sparged another 5.5 gal of 165 F. water to collect the preboil volume, added 1 oz each of Cascade, Centential, and Simcoe, then let it boil down for 30 minutes. Chilled, moved into a corny keg, pitched yeast, purged the O2 from the keg and let it sit with a spunding valve attached to the keg. It started to build pressure in about a week, and it went from 1.010 OG down to 1.005 in 2 weeks time (0.53% ABV). It was a tad bit to bitter for me but I was pleasantly surprised with the first attempt at this exbeeriment!

I liked the first try enough to give it a second try yesterday while brewing a 10 gal batch of an IPA recipe that I make all the time. This recipe uses about 18 lbs of grains, so like before I sparged with 5.5 gal of 165 F water to get the preboil volume. This time I wanted to mirror the hop schedule of the 10 Gal IPA recipe for the non-alcoholic batch. I decided to cut the hop amounts in half and reduced the addition times in half too, essentially scaling everything back to fit inside a 30 minute boil. Ended up with about 1.010 OG again and moved it into the keg to let the yeast do their thing for the next few weeks. Hoping to get a non-alcholoic IPA (that actually tastes good) out of the spent grains that I would normally feed to the chickens and the goats! 🤣

I tried the Clawhammer method out using the spent grains from a barley wine recipe recently. That recipe was about 20 lbs. of grain, so I just sparged another 5.5 gal of 165 F. water to collect the preboil volume, added 1 oz each of Cascade, Centential, and Simcoe, then let it boil down for 30 minutes. Chilled, moved into a corny keg, pitched yeast, purged the O2 from the keg and let it sit with a spunding valve attached to the keg. It started to build pressure in about a week, and it went from 1.010 OG down to 1.005 in 2 weeks time (0.53% ABV). It was a tad bit to bitter for me but I was pleasantly surprised with the first attempt at this exbeeriment!

I liked the first try enough to give it a second try yesterday while brewing a 10 gal batch of an IPA recipe that I make all the time. This recipe uses about 18 lbs of grains, so like before I sparged with 5.5 gal of 165 F water to get the preboil volume. This time I wanted to mirror the hop schedule of the 10 Gal IPA recipe for the non-alcoholic batch. I decided to cut the hop amounts in half and reduced the addition times in half too, essentially scaling everything back to fit inside a 30 minute boil. Ended up with about 1.010 OG again and moved it into the keg to let the yeast do their thing for the next few weeks. Hoping to get a non-alcholoic IPA (that actually tastes good) out of the spent grains that I would normally feed to the chickens and the goats! 🤣
It turned out the same as the first time I tried this technique. It's great for what it comes from, but I am realizing that what this technique starts with doesn't leave much grain flavor behind. So, I am going to dial back the hops even more the next time.

I recently tried this same technique with a friend who was making a Porter. Will be giving that NA beer a try soon.
😉

Attachments

• 20230603_194528.jpg
    20230603_194528.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Try taking 7pts worth of the 1st runnings instead of the 2nd. Or even 4pts from 1st, 3pts from 2nd.

Traditional parti-gyling blends the various worts, putting some of the 1st running goodness into each.

Back