Cooling lines from keezer to fermenter... Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent-Brewer

Reaction score
I just got my FTSs (fermentation temperature control system) from SSBrewTech. In short: the system just relies on pumping cooled liquid through coils in the fermenter. The pump cycles on/off based on a temperature controller.

Rather than running the lines through a cooler with ice or setting up a glycol chiller, I was thinking of keeping a water reservoir in my keezer and pumping through the back of the collar. The bulkhead and associated fittings to move the water past the collar are easy enough... But I was curious on a couple things:
  1. How should I handle the power cord for the submersible pump? I'd rather avoid potentially crimping cables by running it under the keezer lid, but if that's what people normally do, I could do it. If not, can anyone offer advice on how to run it through the collar? I could get an extension cord for it to bypass through the collar, but I'm not sure if moisture would become an issue.
  2. I'm only doing 5 gallon batches. Optimally, I should use a 5 gallon reservoir tank for the water, but I do happen to have a 3 gallon keg that doesn't see much use. Think this would be a large enough water supply?

If anyone has pictures of a system like this, I would GREATLY appreciate it if you'd be willing to share!

For #1, as long as your keezer has a rubber seal like every other freezer it wont crimp the cable enough to do any damage, if your really worried maybe run a bit of sandpaper on the inside and outside edge of the 2x4(or whatever your collar is) where your going to run your power cable to round it very slightly.

For #2 i think your fine with a 3 gallon keg, even if your keeping your keezer on the warmer side (like 48F) your probably fine...3 gallons is probably more than enough to keep the water in the coils around your fermenter at whatever the keezer is, and thats what the temp controller is going to want to use to keep your beer cold inside.

Back