Controllong how much people drink from a kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friends get a kick out of the sign to help and enjoy throwing some cash in. If somebody were offended by a sign asking for some brew money while they drink the beer, then those aren't friends I want in the house really.

We have several large parties a year and I brew beers specifically for those occassions and don't expect to have any leftovers. These are beers that are above and beyond what I brew for myself and occasional company. So even after a big party, I always have beer around. It does have it's drawbacks. I did my first true Oktoberfest last year. It was phenomenal and it was gone in less than two hours. I got 3 glasses and it was gone. Oh well. This year I'm brewing 3 batches of it for that party.

Go ahead and buy a sixtel or 1/4 barrel of something nice and once people have had a good tasting of your beers switch over to that. I mean, you can't have a party and then tell people they've had enough beer, you are not going to serve anymore. Instant party killer.

First - I don't post much but use the forum all the time to get answers to most of my questions that have already been asked more than once. Probably the best resource on the web. Thanks to all of you.

Anyway - I read this thread and had to chime in. I am currently just finishing a four tap keezer (Thanks to BM for keezer tips) and can't wait for my boys (and anyone else who's thirsty) to come over and drain the whole thing. (I do have back up waiting to fill the kegs). I have a friend named Barton and the name dates back to an old word for "Barley grower" and he was basically the guy who provided the means for everyone to get f"ed up. He was the town hero.

I don't want to be a hero, but who doesn't want to be the guy who provides the good time. I got into brewing because I love beer, but I sure as hell don't want to sit around and get stupid by myself. Good beers = good times. The more the merrier.

Besides, by the time the kegs kick, there will be plenty of Keystone 30 racks to rehydrate for the morning.

No offense to the OP - but if I did make a sign it would say "FREE BEER"

With 7 taps on line and a little over 400 gallons brewed last year, it's obvious I don't have a lot of restrictions when it comes to sharing.

If I were to try and "control" the situation a bit more I suppose I'd:

A) Offer two size glasses, a two once plastic ampler, and an 8 ounce serving glass. There's no sense in laying out a bunch of 16 ounce ale glasses if you want people to treat your beer like a connoisseur's treat.

B) One sign: "Help your self to a sample taste, pour only what you like so as not to waste"

just make stronger beer. if your guests are having 3 9.5% barley wines or 3(3 just being the number that popped into the melon) IPA's at 7% they won't drink as much as with a 4.5% stout

BierMuncher said:
If I were to try and "control" the situation a bit more I suppose I'd:

A) Offer two size glasses, a two once plastic ampler, and an 8 ounce serving glass. There's no sense in laying out a bunch of 16 ounce ale glasses if you want people to treat your beer like a connoisseur's treat.

B) One sign: "Help your self to a sample taste, pour only what you like so as not to waste"

I'd scrub the sign you suggested on Post #1. Then go with the classic "Waste Not Want Not" or what BierMuncher said.

Smaller glasses like 8 oz pils glasses are cool for promoting your thought of consideration (Ideal Session Size). The dixie cup, orange juice or kolsch glass could work as samplers.

Tex Law had a good idea to play the sommelier too. Serve them and answer questions. Maybe start w/ a half glass.

Most people are respectfull if they and aren't there to get drunk and eat all of your food.

You could also make a low cost, low gravity beer, or light (3-7) SRM beer as your house beer. Something like 1.035 w/ a light amount of hops. Make a couple kegs of it too. Or buy a BMC keg.

I know how you feel, I think the same way, but its best not too show it because you'll look like a miser. This would be from people who are your friends but are clueless at to the amount of effort.

Offer a very bitter beer for parties. Unless they're all hop heads, they will probably drink that a tad slower. lol. Oh and yeah, the small glass thing .. that works.

Depends on what kinda "parties" you are holding. Frat party or the type where people wear yellow sweaters around their waists and talk about their other house in the Hamptons...

Well it truely depends on what kind of party it is. I am a college student, and if I have a kegger at my house it is of PBR or something that I can get for $60 (usually I can rack in a $100 profit after charging $5 a cup), while I sneak to my room and drink the good stuff.

However, if I have a party that is all people I know and all trust worthy I just tell it to them straight and they usually respect my wishes.

I also find that if you keep a case of Bud Light in the fridge when you are having people over it keeps them away from your homebrew stash.

You could also make a BierMuncher filler and bottle a 6 or 12 pack of your brew before the party.

I usually end up with 12-24 good beers at my house after a party. Most of my friends bring something they like, but I enjoy sharing my beer, so they just leave what they brought and drink off my kegs. I also have people wanting to pitch in money so I will brew certain styles for when they come over. I might have odd friends though.

I have read most of the posts here and I will give my 2 cents. When we have a party with lots of people its rare...When we do, I usually pour the first beer for people...I use pint glasses(frozen), and I ask them what kind of beer they like...I pour them a small sample and give them tips on pouring out of a keg...(believe it or not, there are lots of people that cant pour a beer, like only open the handle 1/4 of the way and end up with all foam)...If they like it I pour them a big glass...I then tell them they know where the fridge is, and feel free to try the others if they like, but try it first before pulling a full glass to make sure we arent dumping any of my brew down the sink....And I LOVE hearing how great my brew is, and how they have had other guys homebrew that totally sucked... But I also deal with older crowds that arent into getting smashed on my dime...Only problem I have found is lots of people in the BMC crowd show up with a 12 pack of that, and then drink off my kegs all night, then leave their beer behind...Its very nice of them, but now I probably have a case and a half of bud light/coors light sitting behind my bar to get rid of :)

I am going to take the tip jar approach. If I have a big party with people bringing people I don't know I'll draw them a taste and if they like it let them be. But if I see empties and the culprit I'll kindly remind them I made this for my friends enjoyment and would appreciate it not being wasted as it cannot be simply restocked in a trip to the store rather than a few months sitting. I also plan on having the following tip sign with my tip jar: Please keep in mind, this is not BMC. The ingredients for this beer did not simply come out of my ass.
The biggest part in this dilema is what age group you are working with. My friends are all around 25-30 so we are past the getting smashed every weekend phase. Plus they mostly bring their own whenever they come. But I personally will be keggin for the sole reason of having my friends over to drink my beer. Just keep on brewing and don't mention cost. That is tacky. Especially after inviting them over for the purpose of trying your beer. It's like "Hey come try my beer, Good huh? Sorry, can't have anymore." Pretty tacky.

justbrewit said:
just make stronger beer. if your guests are having 3 9.5% barley wines or 3(3 just being the number that popped into the melon) IPA's at 7% they won't drink as much as with a 4.5% stout

Famous last words right there.

And, for those with the tip jars, you have to be careful about that. They can backfire in a couple ways.

First, even if they seem okay right now, they will become unseemly at some point in your life. For example, I did not mind it so much in college. Nobody had any money, so a tip jar would come up from time to time. Even then, though, it typically was an open party that did not require an invitation to attend. I never minded a tip jar when I went to some party hosted by someone I did not know (e.g., There's a kegger at [random address]! We're going!)

Second, the idea of hospitality and the message of a tip jar are incosistent. Didn't you invite these people to your home in the spirit of hospitality and to enjoy the pleasure of their company? Or did you invite them over to show off your brewing efforts, maybe get some "attaboy"s and to subsidize your brewing habit? Are you hosting a party or running an enterprise? A tip jar suggests the latter in each case.

Third, as I observed at those parties with tip jars, dropping a buck in the tip jar changes many guests' attitudes. As far as they are concerned, they are now customers, and they are going to live it up. You might wind up with eight bucks, three empty cornies, and a bunch of drunk customers. If you blow a keg right after someone drops in a tip, will you offer a refund? Do you really want to put one or more of your guests in a position where they must decide whether to ask?

There are too many other ways to control consumption, rather than raising the price. Still, I wouldn't mind what Funkenjaeger has to say on this matter.

TL

DeathBrewer said:
i bring a keg to every group party i attend now. the beer in that keg is not coming back. it's usually finished within a couple of hours and we have a full keg of something else ready to go. If you want some of my homebrew, come early.

What he said. I just love seeing people suck down my brew like thirsty humming birds. I keep the good stuff back at the house of course.

In my circle of mostly grown up friends the future hosts will ask if I can make a keg of whatever in time for this or that upcoming event. Not always, but often enough.

I don't even care. If people come over and it turns into a session, well so be it. I love the entire brewing process so if a keg gets tapped, well then I get to go brew another to replace it. All I ask is that if you are going to drink a gallon or so, well leave a tip of whatever you think is fair. Hops are expensive now a days

I prefer the tip jar over people bringing a 6 pack of bud light to give me while they drink my beer. After 6 months I end up with a fridge full of beer for watering flowers. All my friends know it and don't bring the 6 pack of crap anymore.

Get a tip jar, over the jar put a sign saying that the jar accepts change and bills. the more you drink the more you tip.
It is respectable because it is your own crafted beer which you spent time and money on. If they don't like HB and they are out some change, the next time they will just bring there own. If they really enjoy it, you get a good feeling inside and plenty of change. If you notice they are not tipping as much as they are drinking say something or point to the sign! If they can't respect that, don't let them come back!
I have a lot of friends and most of them enjoy my brew but they respect the fact that spend time and money on it. They ask if they can get a glass and they don't drink it all.

The people who come to my get togethers either appreciate homebrew like I do or would rather have a BMC. I am all about spreading the word about real beer and encourage all to at least sample. I always set aside enough bottles to get me through a few weeks should my stash get depleted. If I do run out it's either cause I didnt brew enough or I invited way too many people. I like to think it's the former.

The idea of having a tip jar for people you've invited into your home makes me uncomfortable. Offering food and drink is one of the most basic elements of a civilized society. While it's true that homebrewing takes more time than most food preparation, it's just a matter of degree. If my buddy's wife made cookies should I toss her a couple bucks? Should I throw him a quarter for a glass of iced tea? I mean, we're friends, reciprocity if nothing else shoud apply here. I think it's bad enough to go to my one friend's house and know that I have to bring my own 2-liter of soda because he's stingy with his beverages other than tap water, it doesn't seem to be anything I'd want to emulate.

I think you get back in one form or another what you put into graciousness and hospitality.

Tipping is definitely not mandatory. Its mostly for my friends and family who like to show up the weekend of a new keg, and then hang around until its gone.

I like to brew, and theres no way I could drink all that I brew. The jar was actually my friends idea. It just helps with the rising cost of brewing. Help keep the cost to me low and there will continue to be beer flowing.

If it's a party centered around drinking, I'd say make a keg fee known in advance. If it is something a bit more restrained but still with ample beer flowing, then just hook up a keg of BMC and switch over to homebrew as the party is dwindling. That way people have had their fill to drink, and it won't look like you're being stingy with your precious. Essentially, you're just holding a treat for later. With a smaller party of closer friends/associates just go right ahead start and finish with the homebrew. These smaller gatherings involve your closer friends or people you wish to impress the most and even if a keg gets drained it will be worth it.

I dont normally offer my home brew to everyone. I do share it with friends who enjoy a more robust beer. Why would I even offer someone who drinks only Bud or Bud light a HB Stout or IPA?

Same with booze if someone ask's for burbon and soda they aint getting Knob creek . My son in law will take Jamason and dowse's it with ginger ale drives me nuts

I would go with samplers first then a 12 oz glass if they like it . And have on hand plenty of main stream beers so people have a choice. But if you open the taps be prepared to have them emptied.

springer said:
I dont normally offer my home brew to everyone. I do share it with friends who enjoy a more robust beer. Why would I even offer someone who drinks only Bud or Bud light a HB Stout or IPA?

To bring them away from the darkside of course! My friends have started trying more flavorful beers since I've been drinking good beer. I'm so proud of my buddy johnny who use to be Bud and BLight. Now he stocks at least Killians and Amberbock instead. Can't even stand Bud Light anymore. I love hearing people say that! Even if I just bring one person over. Also my wife is my proudest accomplishment. She used to be a miller girl preferring liquor. Now (pregnant) she loves when I open a really hoppy beer so can smell it. She used to worry about craving wine since she can't have it. Now she complains because she constantly craves my beer that she can't have.

wa-swbb(t.jpg
http://www.wa-gunnet.co.jp/english/cool/img/wa-swbb(t.jpg

I agree with the smaller glasses approach. People will almost always take a full glass, regardless of how small or large the glass is. 4-6 ounces is right for a tasting. I always take a 4 ounce sample glass to club meetings and parties.

You can make a jumper and split kegs. I'll do this when I want to take more than a growler to a club meeting, but don't want to drag a CO2 tank and a full keg. A half keg starting at serving pressure will dispense completely.

I haven't built a kegerator yet, but I have a great solution for me.

I have an attack parrot!

If I set his cage on top of the kegerator he will threaten anyone who comes near (except me), if I open his cage, he will probably attack outright.
He's just looking out for me.

I put out a tip jar at my haunted houses (attended only by my friends) all the time, and I'd do it for beer too, if it was homebrew. Of course, all my friends know I don't care if they think I'm being obnoxious. Some of them even expect it! If my friends know the work I've gone to to make them happy, they show their appreciation.

I like the idea of a lecture- then only the ones who are really interested will hang around! I probably would emphasize the labor rather than the cost (since my beer winds up being cheaper if you don't count the labor).

I personally want a real bar once I have a kegerator (which is still a ways off). And no one but my brew buddies and wife will be behind the bar!

I wouldn't be offended by a sign asking me to go easy on the homebrew. Small cups are a good idea no matter what else!

Ya know, the first party at which homebrew was served, people sampled and enjoyed. At the second one, no one bothered to stop by the store to get their own alcohol and I got wiped out! A tip jar with the sign, "The Honor System governs this beer, please donate appropriately" along with the simple explanation that if I don't get some kind of money back on the homebrew, then I can't afford to keep making it, cleared up the issue. My friends bring beer with them again, they just bring less and throw a couple bucks in the jar.

There was actually a computer project online somewhere a couple months ago about a kegerator with a computer built in that everybody got a glass and was able to recognize how much everybody drank and limit them to a set amount...

jmiracle said:
Would you guys really stop making it if nobody chipped in? :confused:

Like ShafferPilot said. I would still make it for personal consumption but wouldn't let my friends and everybody just help themselves. It's like if you took beer to a party and your friends all just drank from your cooler the whole time. I don't think any one would expect their friends to do this without reimbursement. This is no different. Even more so a big deal since you can't just run to the store when they drink it all. I'd be happy if friends threw some tips in the jar or even if they were like hey, I would love this kind of beer, will you make it and buy the ingredients, then I'd brew it and put it on tap.! In fact I tihnk I'll suggest that to some friends. If there is any kinda particular they'd like tell me, Give me money for ingredients and I'll brew it for them and keep like a 12 pack for my labor. That'd be cool.

Set out some disposable plastic shot glasses with a signs inviting them to try it, making sure they know it's homebrew. It keeps it positive and inviting but still ensures that if they draw a full glass they are probably fans. I like the idea also of using smaller glasses in general to ensure fewer half full brews...

KENTUCKYBREWER said:
Well you got me thinking and I have invented a solution for you.

How about a remote control?

That's exactly what I thought when I read this. Of course, a remote can be used in many ways... for instance, electrify the taps so that a sneaky pourer gets jolted if you don't deactivate it. A genuine beer security system!

Oh, and yes, I am kidding.

Another idea: have a keg of BMC in there with your homebrew and use the remote to switch between them. If your guests are the type who don't understand the idea that homebrew's not for getting hammered, they won't notice/care anyway.

TexLaw said:
Famous last words right there.

And, for those with the tip jars, you have to be careful about that. They can backfire in a couple ways.

First, even if they seem okay right now, they will become unseemly at some point in your life. For example, I did not mind it so much in college. Nobody had any money, so a tip jar would come up from time to time. Even then, though, it typically was an open party that did not require an invitation to attend. I never minded a tip jar when I went to some party hosted by someone I did not know (e.g., There's a kegger at [random address]! We're going!)

Second, the idea of hospitality and the message of a tip jar are incosistent. Didn't you invite these people to your home in the spirit of hospitality and to enjoy the pleasure of their company? Or did you invite them over to show off your brewing efforts, maybe get some "attaboy"s and to subsidize your brewing habit? Are you hosting a party or running an enterprise? A tip jar suggests the latter in each case.

Third, as I observed at those parties with tip jars, dropping a buck in the tip jar changes many guests' attitudes. As far as they are concerned, they are now customers, and they are going to live it up. You might wind up with eight bucks, three empty cornies, and a bunch of drunk customers. If you blow a keg right after someone drops in a tip, will you offer a refund? Do you really want to put one or more of your guests in a position where they must decide whether to ask?

There are too many other ways to control consumption, rather than raising the price. Still, I wouldn't mind what Funkenjaeger has to say on this matter.

TL

I'm in total agreement.

I suspect that the tip thing is breaking down on age/ses.

Latest posts

Back