Beer / Gas (or any other) tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasementArtie

Reaction score
Very random, I just want to know peoples thoughts on this.

So the reason it's crossed my mind is I'm making a kegerator and I was thinking above how much O² Evabarrier beer line might diffuse if the beer is left in the beer line between the keg / tap on beers which aren't poured that frequently.

Would braiding the tubing with yellow Gas PTFE tape reduce the the permeability to O² and would it even be worth it?

I've tried it with other silicone tubing before and had no idea if it made difference or not (image below).
IMG20230506112051.jpg

IMG20230506112024.jpg

Last time I looked into this I found the high crystallinity Ethylene Vinyl Alcohol (EVOH) barrier plastic compound that comprises the outer layer of the bi-layer EVABarrier tubing is remarkably resistant to O2 ingress. It is superior to PET by an order of magnitude, which in turn is at least an order of magnitude superior to PTFE. If there's any improvement wrapping EVABarrier with Teflon tape (or Kaptan or similar) I imagine it would be quite tiny...

Cheers!

Last time I looked into this I found the high crystallinity Ethylene Vinyl Alcohol (EVOH) barrier plastic compound that comprises the outer layer of the bi-layer EVABarrier tubing is remarkably resistant to O2 ingress. It is superior to PET by an order of magnitude, which in turn is at least an order of magnitude superior to PTFE. If there's any improvement wrapping EVABarrier with Teflon tape (or Kaptan or similar) I imagine it would be quite tiny...

Cheers!
Perfect thanks. That's what I like to hear 😂

Back