Condensation in keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyb85

Reaction score
Hey,

I use an Eva-Dry in my keezer and have a recirculating fan and im still getting a lot of condensation. Any ideas as to why this might be or what i can do to remedy it? I have a good seal around the collar both to the freezer itself and the lid. Its a 8.8 cu ft and i have the temp set to 38 F

Are you opening it alot? Also you should note that if your set at 38 depending what your differential is set at its cooling down to at least 35 when the compresser kicks on even with a 2 degree differential.

I also have the same problem when I cold crash them in my ferm chamber (freezer) and I have a new unit with a Eva dry and fan, heck I even get ice build up when I do that.. i think freezers are going to naturally give off condensation set at anything below 40 - 45 degrees, just the nature of the beast

DampRid helps. I've got a bucket sitting in my ferm chamber right now for the same reason. You can always get a bigger container of it too, but it's available just about anywhere. For sure at Lowes/Home Depot. Go with the unscented kind.

Condensation in a keezer is nearly unavoidable as the system is designed to hard-freeze, so when it's running the area in contact with the evaporator loop will frost up with whatever moisture is available. Even if you set the target temperature well above freezing, while the compressor is running that area will be below freezing.

And, of course, when the air cools it causes the interior to be at a lower pressure than the exterior, so if there's even a molecular-size opening from inside to outside, exterior air is going to enter, bringing humidity with it.

I use a pair of Eva-Dry 500s each with an 80mm fan velcro'd to them and running at half voltage to push air into the dryers. The little fans make a huge difference from just setting the passive units on the keezer floor. For around 9 months of the year that works well enough to avoid standing water, but still, during the humid New England Augusts here I usually have to swamp out a decent puddle.

This is a plot from my RPi logger showing various points inside (and outside) the keezer. While my target keg temperature is 34.5°F with a 1°F differential you can see the air temperature drops way below while the compressor is running. Frost is going to happen; what happens when the frost melts is the symptom...

Cheers!

keezer_temps_01oct2014.jpg

Back