Concord Kettle... which eBay seller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I'm a big proponent of you get what you paid for. When I was building my system I looked at those but they seemed to get bad reviews. For a few dollars more you can get buy from here. http://www.wayfair.com/Bayou-Classic-Stock-Pot-with-Lid-10-xx-BAY1032.html?piid%5B0%5D=2075626. They have excellent customer service and fast shipping. One of my pots came damaged and they sent me a brand new pot rush shipping, no questions asked.

There are lots of positive reviews of the Concord kettles on here. They are thicker and more durable than BC too from what people have reported. I have the BC 44 qt now and I love it, but the Concord seems hard to beat for the price.

There are lots of positive reviews of the Concord kettles on here. They are thicker and more durable than BC too from what people have reported. I have the BC 44 qt now and I love it, but the Concord seems hard to beat for the price.

It is a good price. It's been a while but I found some reviews that weren't on ebay that talked about the pot they received wasn't the pot that was on the website and rust spots showed up pretty quickly.

And from what I've read spike actually uses concord kettles?

As for what seller to buy from I'd imagine buying from seller "concordcookware" would be best as it seems to actually be concord? Perhaps not but i'd imagine using that name would have legal repercussions if they werent?

Don't quote me though just thoughts off the top of me head.

PS: I also plan to buy concord kettles eventually for myself (especially if spike use them and just add their own welds.....and i plan to silver solder my own fittings). So i'd love to hear others opinions.

It is a good price. It's been a while but I found some reviews that weren't on ebay that talked about the pot they received wasn't the pot that was on the website and rust spots showed up pretty quickly.

I didn't realize the BC 62qt was only $2 more (amazon) than the Concord. It's also narrower and thus might fit my Wilser BIAB bag... hmmm.

Still curious on the original question of which one to go with. Or maybe they are the same and the pictures are outdated.

I also just googled concord kettles and you can buy directly from concordkettles.com for about the same price and still free shipping.

And from what I've read spike actually uses concord kettles?

As for what seller to buy from I'd imagine buying from seller "concordcookware" would be best as it seems to actually be concord? Perhaps not but i'd imagine using that name would have legal repercussions if they werent?

Don't quote me though just thoughts off the top of me head.

PS: I also plan to buy concord kettles eventually for myself (especially if spike use them and just add their own welds.....and i plan to silver solder my own fittings). So i'd love to hear others opinions.

We do not use Concord kettles. Years ago (before I worked here) I think we might have used them. The Concord kettles are not a true 304 stainless and are just a cheap Chinese kettle. They are not on par with quality equipment like us, Blichmann and SS.

We do not use Concord kettles. Years ago (before I worked here) I think we might have used them. The Concord kettles are not a true 304 stainless and are just a cheap Chinese kettle. They are not on par with quality equipment like us, Blichmann and SS.

Apologies if you don't use it but as i said i wasn't sure, just thought i read that somewhere.

As for concord not using 304, you sure about that? This listing (Here) states "Stock pot is made from Fully Polished Restaurant Grade 18/10 T304 Stainless Steel.". Granted that one is a bit pricier than others.

Apologies if you don't use it but as i said i wasn't sure, just thought i read that somewhere.

As for concord not using 304, you sure about that? This listing (Here) states "Stock pot is made from Fully Polished Restaurant Grade 18/10 T304 Stainless Steel.". Granted that one is a bit pricier than others.

18/10 is 316 not 304. Concord imports and has resellers. They don't have quality control or metallurgy testing. We test all our stainless and we've tested Concords before. Concord's stainless is far below the 304 specs and nowhere close to 18/10 316. This topic has been discussed elsewhere on here as well: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=574493.

My 60 quart concord kettle is holding up just fine. No signs of rust, no pitting... And whatever grade stainless they used it is HARD to drill. Far harder than my Bayou kettle.

My 60 quart concord kettle is holding up just fine. No signs of rust, no pitting... And whatever grade stainless they used it is HARD to drill. Far harder than my Bayou kettle.

They use a lower grade stainless that is jacked up with manganese which makes it non-magnetic so customers will think it is 304SS. Glad you're not having issues with your equipment. We have had many others that have reported issues to us.

At the end of the day it comes down to not trying to intentionally deceive your customers. That is something we stand for and I'm sure any of the reputable suppliers would also agree with this.

I ended up going with the BC 62qt pot, it was only $2 more, has welded instead of riveted handles, is 1/2 gal larger than the Concord 60qt, and will fit my current Wilser BIAB bag.

OP already bought a pot but the concord from EBAY is so heavy duty it will NEVER NEVER fail.Ive been using mine for 2 years without a single ussue with rust pitting whatever and I drilled a hole for an electric element and temp probe..This pot will out live me and I have a long way to go.Anyone reading this post should have no worries buying a Concord pot.Mine is 80 Qt

OP already bought a pot but the concord from EBAY is so heavy duty it will NEVER NEVER fail.Ive been using mine for 2 years without a single ussue with rust pitting whatever and I drilled a hole for an electric element and temp probe..This pot will out live me and I have a long way to go.Anyone reading this post should have no worries buying a Concord pot.Mine is 80 Qt

I was going to say all of this. It's as if I wrote it!

It was a $129 kettle, if it lasts 5 years I am good and will buy another!

They use a lower grade stainless that is jacked up with manganese which makes it non-magnetic so customers will think it is 304SS. Glad you're not having issues with your equipment. We have had many others that have reported issues to us.

At the end of the day it comes down to not trying to intentionally deceive your customers. That is something we stand for and I'm sure any of the reputable suppliers would also agree with this.

I have CC pots, you get a lot for your money, A LOT! But it's still just a cheap pot. I've had mine for 3 years and love them.

It was a $129 kettle, if it lasts 5 years I am good and will buy another!

Our stance is still we do not condone the intentional false advertising their company promotes. However it seems like many brewers do not care and are happy with the price and pot they received. It does undermine rebuttal company's like us, Blichmann and SS that have strict quality control standards. When people think a Concord is of the same quality as our tanks yet half the price something looks off (because it is).

-Tim

To the OP, Concord markets 3 different kettles, the two links you provided show the lid design differences, One lid is domed and the other lid is flat on the kettle. At one time I thought the domed lid was the new design to replace the flat lid design, but that does not seem to be happening any time soon. I believe these kettles are 1.0 mm thick.

They also sell a less expensive domed lid version that is 0.8 mm thick for a few less dollars.

Only $81 shipped (vs $90 for the 1.0 mm) for a 15 gallon, wow that's cheap, and still a decent pot I'm sure as I think the B/C pots are only 0.8 mm thickness as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Hom...hash=item20edae3730:m:mdTw25IHRK8tQ356wq35R7w

As far as false advertising... I would have to see metallurgical test results to believe you. Because you are very much bashing someone who is producing a decent usable kettle "claiming" they use lesser steels. Really comes off to me as sour grapes that you are being undercut badly on price.

Our stance is still we do not condone the intentional false advertising their company promotes. However it seems like many brewers do not care and are happy with the price and pot they received. It does undermine rebuttal company's like us, Blichmann and SS that have strict quality control standards. When people think a Concord is of the same quality as our tanks yet half the price something looks off (because it is).

-Tim

Like your 25,000 grant advertising pic that shows a spike conical with a made in the USA sticker on the stand and a USA flag in the background when really the conicals are made in China?

Intentionally misleading people isn't any different in my eyes.

As far as false advertising... I would have to see metallurgical test results to believe you. Because you are very much bashing someone who is producing a decent usable kettle "claiming" they use lesser steels. Really comes off to me as sour grapes that you are being undercut badly on price.

Don't take our word for it. A 3rd independent party as also confirmed what we found out 2 years ago. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=574493

Like your 25,000 grant advertising pic that shows a spike conical with a made in the USA sticker on the stand and a USA flag in the background when really the conicals are made in China?

Intentionally misleading people isn't any different in my eyes.

That is our older conical which was fully made in the USA and welded in the USA by our employees in the USA.

Don't take our word for it. A 3rd independent party as also confirmed what we found out 2 years ago. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=574493

That is our older conical which was fully made in the USA and welded in the USA by our employees in the USA.

That's great but now you outsource them to China and the picture would imply they were still going to be American made is my point. It was/is misleading the customer if they don't ask up front.

If I am not mistaken, Ben started Spike Brewing selling chinese kettles that were if not Concord, were very similar if not identical. The new line of kettles is entirely different, and very nice BTW. I would think it more accurate if the word "cheap" in your text was replaced with "inexpensive", describing the Concord kettles. The term cheap has an implied definition of low quality, that is not entirely true IMO. With regards to Concord being made in China, what isn't these days lol. The fact is that we have both inexpensive and expensive kettles being made in China, are they the same pots, no.

18/10 is 316 not 304. Concord imports and has resellers. They don't have quality control or metallurgy testing. We test all our stainless and we've tested Concords before. Concord's stainless is far below the 304 specs and nowhere close to 18/10 316. This topic has been discussed elsewhere on here as well: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=574493.

Concords stainless is actually closest to the designation J4, if someone wants to read the entire linked thread, while not 304 as claimed, grade J4 is more than adequate for homebrewing IMO, and should last a couple lifetimes.

While Concord may not be a metals expert, and obviously has zero metallurgy testing ability, I would certainly think the manufacturer is testing materials and maintaining reasonable quality control standards, as proven by the long track record of satisfied Concord users.

With all due respect to the Spike product, and I really do think you have a wonderful line of goods! I also realize that you can't have the representation made that a Concord is of similar make up to the Spike kettles,it is NOT, I just feel your words about the "inexpensive" Concord kettles to be a bit misleading.

Why didn't my last post show up...Shrug
I actually read every post on the link Spike put up.It seems concord is J4 and better than 201 stainless which is more than OK for homebrew.The only issue would be cleaning with acid???What home brewer uses acid to clean the pots..Nobody.I use a sponge and that aint eatin away at any metal.Seems rust only is an issue if theres some sort of contamination in the welding/making stage that can happen with the highest end pot.With respect to Spike I'd put up a Concord against there pot any day of the week...Just because someone came up with a better mouse trap doesn't make it bad..If it works it works

Hey guys, Ben here. Just got forwarded this so I thought I'd chime in.

That's great but now you outsource them to China and the picture would imply they were still going to be American made is my point. It was/is misleading the customer if they don't ask up front.

The picture in question is from 3 months ago and is of our older conicals which were US made. Our new conicals will be out in a couple months. Those will be partially made in China with all the welding done in our shop. It's just not possible to make them in the US any longer.

If I am not mistaken, Ben started Spike Brewing selling chinese kettles that were if not Concord, were very similar if not identical. The new line of kettles is entirely different, and very nice BTW. I would think it more accurate if the word "cheap" in your text was replaced with "inexpensive", describing the Concord kettles. The term cheap has an implied definition of low quality, that is not entirely true IMO. With regards to Concord being made in China, what isn't these days lol. The fact is that we have both inexpensive and expensive kettles being made in China, are they the same pots, no.

Concords stainless is actually closest to the designation J4, if someone wants to read the entire linked thread, while not 304 as claimed, grade J4 is more than adequate for homebrewing IMO, and should last a couple lifetimes.

While Concord may not be a metals expert, and obviously has zero metallurgy testing ability, I would certainly think the manufacturer is testing materials and maintaining reasonable quality control standards, as proven by the long track record of satisfied Concord users.

With all due respect to the Spike product, and I really do think you have a wonderful line of goods! I also realize that you can't have the representation made that a Concord is of similar make up to the Spike kettles,it is NOT, I just feel your words about the "inexpensive" Concord kettles to be a bit misleading.

I'd double down on the 'cheap' and 'intentionally misleading'. We started selling our pots using Concord as a supplier when we first started out. Once we had the funding to do proper testing it came to our attention that the 304SS that we had requested was not 304. Instead it was a cheap stainless that our lab could not identify. When we demanded 304 going forward the prices shot up more than 30%. This 'J4' knockoff stainless isn't used because it's almost as good or better; it's used because it's much cheaper as it has almost no nickel.

I looked into the 'J4' stainless you speak of and that is just one company's 'proprietary' cheap Chinese SS blend with lower nickel and chromium. It is not recognized by the ASTM. In reference to 304SS, Concord's pots have 85% too little nickel and 25% too little chromium. Nickel is expensive and that's why they skimp on it out. You'll also see they have 400% more manganese than the 304 spec. This is because it artificially creates an austenitic grain structure that makes the material non-magnetic. Without this manganese it would be magnetic and a dead give away that it is not 304SS. All this was taught to me by our lab tech (I do not claim to be a metals expert) and might be a good question for John Palmer as he IS a metals expert.

In Concord's defense they are not metal experts. I spoke with the owner years ago and brought this issue up. As far as I could tell he had no idea about the lesser quality stainless they were selling. However since then they are fully aware of the material they are selling. Concord is trying to get customers the cheapest possible product that can possibly be made. Again this isn't a bad thing. The market obviously is calling for super cheap brewing pots HOWEVER lying about their composition and putting them in the same class as Spike, SS and Blichmann (as some have stated) is ridiculous.

Why didn't my last post show up...Shrug
I actually read every post on the link Spike put up.It seems concord is J4 and better than 201 stainless which is more than OK for homebrew.The only issue would be cleaning with acid???What home brewer uses acid to clean the pots..Nobody.I use a sponge and that aint eatin away at any metal.Seems rust only is an issue if theres some sort of contamination in the welding/making stage that can happen with the highest end pot.With respect to Spike I'd put up a Concord against there pot any day of the week...Just because someone came up with a better mouse trap doesn't make it bad..If it works it works

J4 isn't anything. It's just a term a Chinese company came up with for their fake stainless. See HERE. Again notice the manganese that is 400% higher. A true 201 would be ok but it still has half the nickel of 304. The issue is with pitting and rusting weld seams. The pots have a bottom and side weld seam. I've attached some pictures I could find from old customers that had issues. These are just from normal brewing.

With respect to Spike I'd put up a Concord against there pot any day of the week...Just because someone came up with a better mouse trap doesn't make it bad..If it works it works

This is the very scary thing (in my eyes) because people see a $100 Concord kettle and a $250 Spike, SS or Blichmann and say, "well they are both 304SS". Well that isn't the case; not in the least. Our raw material costs are at least 30% more than the Concord. We are also testing the materials to make sure they meet specs and don't have lead, cadmium, etc. Lastly, we all have R&D budgets to invent, innovate and drive the hobby forward. My view is that Concord undermines this and it's why we stopped doing with them years ago.

I'm glad this was brought up as it is an issue in my eyes. I'd be happy to answer any questions or shed light on anything else.

-Ben

20140925_201124.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_20150203_105556930.jpg

Issue_3.jpg

Rust.jpg

Thanks Ben, I appreciated and enjoyed your well put together response.

I completely agree with you that it is not right for Concord to misrepresent their product as being on par with the higher end kettles as Spike, SS brewing, Blichmamn etc.

The picture in question is from 3 months ago and is of our older conicals which were US made. Our new conicals will be out in a couple months. Those will be partially made in China with all the welding done in our shop. It's just not possible to make them in the US any

-Ben

I won't argue passed this but I definitely disagree with you saying it's not possible to make them in the US anymore. There are definitely lines of attack you couldve taken...

Also, I know when the picture was posted. It's misleading, you can argue all you want but it portrayed that your conicals would be built in the USA and fact is they will not be. It's awesome you guys built in the US at one point but now you sold out to China, own up to it and let the customers know where the product is coming from. I'd have been first in line for a spike built US conical, anyone can import a Chinese one. All I'm saying is what you're saying about concord is exactly what I see you guys do on Facebook. Not just with the conicals but also your kettles. I'm sure your stuff is fantastic but it definitely rubs me the wrong way when you lead customers to think you build your stuff in the USA.

I own a part time machine shop, it's not my entire income but I do all my work in house. Every piece of equipment inside of it was built here in the United States of America. You say that it's not feasible to built equipment here because of price, you're dead wrong. Plenty of companies do it every single day, I own their equipment and I run my shop with it.

Considering they don't advertise as 304 stainless I see no issue! And one test by one company is NOT proof, it is proof that one bad batch of metal slipped through QC.

You still sound like sour grapes over the fact they undercut you badly in the homebrew market.

I bought my 80 quart Concord pot off eBay a few years ago and have really enjoyed it. It's not a true 80 quarts and only measures in at 18.5 gallons but it does the job I need. I've paid a fair amount for welding and finally have the pot how I like it. My final price is still cheaper than other off the shelf pots and if I had to do it again I would probably buy a complete pot from a reputable vendor. I may end up with a 30 gallon pot one of these days coming up and would buy one already complete versus buying a Concord again. Nothing against the Concord pot but I would rather just buy something in a finished state.

As for quality, I have zero issues with my Concord pot and it will probably last me for many more years as a home brewer.

Contaminated welds, I don't see the actual kettle rusting, I see bad welding rusting. Someone used the wrong filler or wrong shielding gas.

The picture in question is from 3 months ago and is of our older conicals which were US made. Our new conicals will be out in a couple months. Those will be partially made in China with all the welding done in our shop. It's just not possible to make them in the US any longer.

I'd double down on the 'cheap' and 'intentionally misleading'. We started selling our pots using Concord as a supplier when we first started out. Once we had the funding to do proper testing it came to our attention that the 304SS that we had requested was not 304. Instead it was a cheap stainless that our lab could not identify. When we demanded 304 going forward the prices shot up more than 30%. This 'J4' knockoff stainless isn't used because it's almost as good or better; it's used because it's much cheaper as it has almost no nickel.

I looked into the 'J4' stainless you speak of and that is just one company's 'proprietary' cheap Chinese SS blend with lower nickel and chromium. It is not recognized by the ASTM. In reference to 304SS, Concord's pots have 85% too little nickel and 25% too little chromium. Nickel is expensive and that's why they skimp on it out. You'll also see they have 400% more manganese than the 304 spec. This is because it artificially creates an austenitic grain structure that makes the material non-magnetic. Without this manganese it would be magnetic and a dead give away that it is not 304SS. All this was taught to me by our lab tech (I do not claim to be a metals expert) and might be a good question for John Palmer as he IS a metals expert.

In Concord's defense they are not metal experts. I spoke with the owner years ago and brought this issue up. As far as I could tell he had no idea about the lesser quality stainless they were selling. However since then they are fully aware of the material they are selling. Concord is trying to get customers the cheapest possible product that can possibly be made. Again this isn't a bad thing. The market obviously is calling for super cheap brewing pots HOWEVER lying about their composition and putting them in the same class as Spike, SS and Blichmann (as some have stated) is ridiculous.

J4 isn't anything. It's just a term a Chinese company came up with for their fake stainless. See HERE. Again notice the manganese that is 400% higher. A true 201 would be ok but it still has half the nickel of 304. The issue is with pitting and rusting weld seams. The pots have a bottom and side weld seam. I've attached some pictures I could find from old customers that had issues. These are just from normal brewing.

This is the very scary thing (in my eyes) because people see a $100 Concord kettle and a $250 Spike, SS or Blichmann and say, "well they are both 304SS". Well that isn't the case; not in the least. Our raw material costs are at least 30% more than the Concord. We are also testing the materials to make sure they meet specs and don't have lead, cadmium, etc. Lastly, we all have R&D budgets to invent, innovate and drive the hobby forward. My view is that Concord undermines this and it's why we stopped doing with them years ago.

I'm glad this was brought up as it is an issue in my eyes. I'd be happy to answer any questions or shed light on anything else.

-Ben

Gee where do they compare to Spike in this ad?

Description

Available Sizes:

180 Quart Stock Pot. Size: Pot 23.5" Wide x 24" Height.
160 Quart Stock Pot. Size: Pot 22.25" Wide x 25.5" Height.
120 Quart Stock Pot. Size: Pot 22.5" Wide x 19" Height.
100 Quart Stock Pot. Size: Pot 19.5" Wide x 20" Height.
80 Quart Stock Pot. Size: Pot 18" Wide x 19" Height.
60 Quart Stock Pot. Size: Pot 17" Wide x 17" Height.
50 Quart Stock Pot. Size: Pot 15.5" Wide x 16" Height.
40 Quart Stock Pot. Size: Pot 15" Wide x 15.5" Height.
30 Quart Stock Pot. Size: Pot 14.25" Wide x 14" Height.
20 Quart Stock Pot. Size: Pot 11" Wide x 11" Height.

Material:

Stock pot is made from Commercial Quality Stainless Steel, Fully Polished.
Riveted handles for sturdiness.
This Stock pot is great for brewing beer
Very heavy duty construction, will last a lifetime.

-Commercial Grade 1.0mm thick walls-

All I see is them saying it is a commercial grade stainless which it is. Used in MANY commercial kitchens.

I ordered their 30qt. pot with the Commercial Grade 1.0mm thick walls, and it is great. I have had it for almost a year and no problems whatsoever. I clean it with BKF and use it quite a bit for brewing. I see this thing lasting for a long time.

I won't argue passed this but I definitely disagree with you saying it's not possible to make them in the US anymore. There are definitely lines of attack you couldve taken...

Also, I know when the picture was posted. It's misleading, you can argue all you want but it portrayed that your conicals would be built in the USA and fact is they will not be. It's awesome you guys built in the US at one point but now you sold out to China, own up to it and let the customers know where the product is coming from. I'd have been first in line for a spike built US conical, anyone can import a Chinese one. All I'm saying is what you're saying about concord is exactly what I see you guys do on Facebook. Not just with the conicals but also your kettles. I'm sure your stuff is fantastic but it definitely rubs me the wrong way when you lead customers to think you build your stuff in the USA.

I own a part time machine shop, it's not my entire income but I do all my work in house. Every piece of equipment inside of it was built here in the United States of America. You say that it's not feasible to built equipment here because of price, you're dead wrong. Plenty of companies do it every single day, I own their equipment and I run my shop with it.

I'll rephrase; it's not possible to make them in the US and make a profit and/or at a price where anyone would purchase them. I used to think like you as well. "Everything has to be made in the USA!". Well it's a world economy and not everything can be made here. You look at any large company and they have parts made from all over the world. Some places are better and more economical than others. I've been in this business for 5 years. We've had many many companies in the US quote our kettles and conicals; none have been economical. They would double our prices and people aren't willing to buying a $500 15gal brew kettle. Our old conical was US made and $775. It didn't have the features that the SS did and it was more or less a flop because of the price and lack of features.

We do a lot of work in house with our fab guys and welders. All of our pickup tubes, false bottoms and fixtures are made in the USA. Our brand new punch machine was custom made for us in the USA as well. One of the biggest factors I look at when judging the success of Spike is "How many people are employing directly and indirectly in the US?". You say you have a shop as well? I'm assuming you have a welder in there? Miller or Lincoln? Well if you crack those 'US' machines open you'll see most the components come from China. Again it's just a world economy.

Considering they don't advertise as 304 stainless I see no issue! And one test by one company is NOT proof, it is proof that one bad batch of metal slipped through QC.

You still sound like sour grapes over the fact they undercut you badly in the homebrew market.

If you can't believe 2 completely independent test results done at different times then I can't convince ya! :mug: However they do advertise as 304. 18/8 means 18% chromium and 8% nickel which is 304; 304 and 18/8 are interchangeable. Please see attached for just 3 quick references that I found from them. Also the "Commercial Quality" doesn't mean anything. It's just a marketing thing. They could put "Space Age Quality" and it would still be crappy knock off SS.

We are not sour at all. They are under cutting with a material that isn't what the customer thinks they are buying. Now if the customers cares or not is another thing but I think they should know what they are getting.

Contaminated welds, I don't see the actual kettle rusting, I see bad welding rusting. Someone used the wrong filler or wrong shielding gas.

I'm not a materials expert but I will consider myself very knowledgeable on welding. It's not a wrong filler or shielding gas issue. The issue is there is almost no chromium and nickel. When you weld it heats the metal up super hot and you can 'blow away' all the chromium. This pretty much losses all the 'stainless' qualities in the HAZ (heat affected zone). This is why you will always see the rust issues along the bottom weld seam (as shown above), wall seam or around any couplers being welded. We were having a ton of issues with rusting bottom weld seams and couplers welding. Come to find out it's because the 304 we ordered was not 304 at all.

Again not trying to get a flame war going (as I know that tends to happen on the forums) but I'm just trying to give the facts for others that are interested.

-Ben

Concord_1.png

Concord_2.png

Concord_3.png

I imagine that running a retail business in today's market is a real PITA. It would be great if everything we purchased could be made here in the US, but like Spike said it's a world economy. You're not just competing with the Acme pot company of Walla Walla. I try and stay right in the middle, not the cheapest POS, but not the pot that comes with an app. (okay, I'm old...) If you think those pots are cheap, go to aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hea..._2&btsid=04d89891-6294-40b6-b3d0-87b1881584a4 (man, that's a long link...) $32 for the pot. Doesn't state how big it is. $67 for shipping. 23 day delivery. In the detail section, Material: Metal. "Constructed from durable, long-lasting,food grade stainless steel." "Food grade"? I wonder what that means... I think if I'm gong to spend $99 on a stockpot, I'd want something better than "food grade" and go with a more reputable company here in the US. (I know it's very likely that the pot will not be made here though...)

I'll rephrase; it's not possible to make them in the US and make a profit and/or at a price where anyone would purchase them. I used to think like you as well. "Everything has to be made in the USA!". Well it's a world economy and not everything can be made here. You look at any large company and they have parts made from all over the world. Some places are better and more economical than others. I've been in this business for 5 years. We've had many many companies in the US quote our kettles and conicals; none have been economical. They would double our prices and people aren't willing to buying a $500 15gal brew kettle. Our old conical was US made and $775. It didn't have the features that the SS did and it was more or less a flop because of the price and lack of features.

We do a lot of work in house with our fab guys and welders. All of our pickup tubes, false bottoms and fixtures are made in the USA. Our brand new punch machine was custom made for us in the USA as well. One of the biggest factors I look at when judging the success of Spike is "How many people are employing directly and indirectly in the US?". You say you have a shop as well? I'm assuming you have a welder in there? Miller or Lincoln? Well if you crack those 'US' machines open you'll see most the components come from China. Again it's just a world economy.

-Ben

How does Blichmann do it then? Morebeer? Both have conicals made here according to them, Blichmann still makes all their kettles here unless they outright lie about it. They seem to be doing pretty well so I'd honestly like to hear your opinion on how they make it work. Get together with SS, blichmann, and more beer to sign a better contract with US suppliers? I assume your kettles and SS kettles come from the same sweat shop in China so why not contract together with a supplier here in the States? If all of the home brew guys were supplying US built equipment where else would people go? Get together with the big players and make it happen, support our country, and our people. It's only global because people cheap out and move our jobs to China to manufacture garbage cheaper. My 50 year old slip roller that gets abused every use VS a Chinese slip roller would be a joke.

I'm not hating on you guys for building your stuff in China, all I'm saying is you misrepresent where your stuff is built on Facebook quite a bit and your hating on Concord for misrepresenting how theirs is built. Pot, kettle, black.

I do have a Miller, it's an older one when Miller still made their electronics in house. My plasma table was built by me, electronics and gantry built by small US companies. Plasma is a Hypertherm, built all in house including electronics. Compressor by Saylor Beall, slip roller by Pexto, and so on. I'd like to pick up a tig to start doing some beer related things but anything in my range is Chinese junk. Lincolns new square wave 200 is built in Mexico and the number of DOA units is staggering.

More Beer's tanks are not made in the US. Blichmann recently moved their 20 gallon and smaller tanks back to the US. However they recently came out with the 'economy' Anvil line which indicates to me that the US line isn't selling as well.

Unfortunately that's not how business works. The biggest cost with US production is always tooling. When we quoted our kettles with a US manufacturer the tooling alone for each tank was about $100,000. So that would be about a half of a million dollars just in tooling. It was not possible for our company and made 0 financial sense.

We do a ton of fabrication and welding in house. All of our pickup tubes and false bottoms are laser cut in the US. Our boxes are made in the US. Even our T-shirts are made in the US and screen printed here as well. All this would be cheaper to do overseas or use imported goods. We've taken the conscience decision to keep that work here. I'm very proud of the work we keep in the US! I think this is something we'll just have to agree to disagree on. Best part about America is it's your right to have what ever opinion you'd like! :mug:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwiuOu614UY[/ame]

https://www.facebook.com/624101300947114/videos/1221955494495022/

-Ben

Chalk me up as another Concord user here - but I have to agree with the guys from Spike that it's just not the same material. Or, if it somehow is, it's just not handled/assembled as well as the nicer names.

A buddy of mine has a small collection of Blichman pots - damn near works of art, and I've never noticed a spot of rust of corrosion on any of them. Clean them up with a little BKF once in a while to knock off any kettle residue (that fogginess that builds up after a few brews) and they still look brand new.

My Concord kettles? When I first received them, I had 2" tri-clamp ferrules welded onto them by a local welding shop - these are how I attach my heating elements. I have tried passivating my kettles numerous times with BKF in paste form, and with undiluted starsan. From the first time I ever leak-tested the things, if I leave water in them for longer than a typical brewday, or if I don't towel the inside down to dry after cleaning, I wind up with rust spots up the sides of the kettle. Yes, I get similar ones near the welds to what was pictured earlier, and that I _know_ is down to a welder I'll not use again. But when the rust spots are in random spots on the bottom, or up the sides of the kettle, I kinda can't put that down to welding. Sure, a little BKF cleans those spots up fine, and those kettles have made some fine beer - but had I known this was what I'd deal with, the absolute minimum I would've done is to order the Bayou Classic kettles for a couple bucks more. Whenever I look for my next upgrade, I'll be giving Spike an awful close look...

I own the equivalent 80 qt pot sold here, which I paid $160 for in Jan 2014. It's definitely a step above the budget pots Concord sells most of and what have been discussed in detail here. It's a beast (probably heavier than necessary) and appears to be excellent quality stainless with the tri-ply bottom. Since I'm not a metallurgist, I can't say whether it's 18/10, 18/8, 304, 316, or whatever, but it has never shown any sign of rust or other deficiency. It cleans up superbly with regular PBW and occasional BKF. Granted, it's just a stock pot with no beautiful TIG-welded ports. It was definitely a sound investment. If I were to buy a new kettle again, there's a good chance I'd spring for the higher quality and design optimized for brewing that Spike and Blichmann provide. I doubt many (if any) people think they're getting an equivalent product from Concord for a small percentage of the price, but I do think they're getting their money's worth.
Blichmann recently moved their 20 gallon and smaller tanks back to the US. However they recently came out with the 'economy' Anvil line which indicates to me that the US line isn't selling as well.
You certainly have better visibility and insight into the market, but I don't view the introduction of the Anvil line as a sign that the main Blichmann line isn't selling. I think they're just trying to capture a larger part of the market, since not that many homebrewers can afford the high end equipment. Like Spike, they're trying to capture some of the buyers that may be buying concord or Bayou Classic.

Latest posts

Back