Concord tri-ply 10g pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunch1224

Reaction score
Hiyas, just picked up another Concord 10 gallon tri-ply bottom stainless steel pot for 80 bucks and free shipping from ebay. I love this pot 1mm sides and a thick tri-ply bottom. This pot is heavy lmao. I thought I would share this gem with you guys because I think its a great deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Triply-Bottom-Stock-Pot-Stainless-Steel-Home-Brew-Kettle-Beer-Mash-Tun-/131699684519
Concord-Cookware-Triply-Bottom-Stainless-Steel-Brew-Pot-and-Kettle.jpg

I picked up the 20 gallon a while back and have no complaints, its not top of the line but for the price its worth it.

What is the purpose for the really thick bottoms on brew kettles? I have an 8 gallon Mega Pot and it has a very heavy bottom. I also have a really cheap 15 gallon, no name pot that has a very thin bottom. I prefer the thin bottom. I have never had any issues with scorching, and the thin bottom makes chilling much quicker since there is not that huge thermal mass that needs to be overcome. So please educate me. Why get the thick bottom?

Many people here including myself use a Concord pot. Great pot for the money.
I brew electric and have the regular bottom

What is the purpose for the really thick bottoms on brew kettles? I have an 8 gallon Mega Pot and it has a very heavy bottom. I also have a really cheap 15 gallon, no name pot that has a very thin bottom. I prefer the thin bottom. I have never had any issues with scorching, and the thin bottom makes chilling much quicker since there is not that huge thermal mass that needs to be overcome. So please educate me. Why get the thick bottom?

Hiyas, for me the thick bottom does help from scorching. If you are brewing electric like JONNYROTTON it doesn't matter because the heating element is in direct contact with the wort. The thermal mass does help if your brew kettle doubles as your mash tun.

For 80 bucks and free shipping 10 buck step bit 20 buck ball valve and bulk head your off to the races for 110 bucks. add another 20 bucks and you got a bulk head thermometer 130 bucks total.

Now take a close look at brew kettles with a tri-ply bottom with 1mm sides with a ball valve and thermometer you will be hard pressed to find a better deal.

There's a couple of good reasons to buy a kettle with a multi-layer bottom.

The best reason for me was thermal stability.
I mash in an ANVIL 7.5gal kettle and heat my mash water to where I want it, then add the grain. The kettle has a built-in calibrated thermometer and I can see how much or little the temperature fluctuates. I took the fitted false bottom from my Igloo and don't use the cooler anymore.
You can't use direct heat on an Igloo cooler if you mash on a stovetop. Greater thermal mass on the underside along with a false bottom installed reduces temp variations, negates adding hot water for step mashes, and reduces scorching worries you'll get with a single-walled kettle.

Eighty bucks is a good deal and you can have cash left over to tap a hole for a good thermometer, too, if DIY is your thing. Typical price for my kettle runs about $200 w/ball valve and thermometer included.

Last edited:
This came in yesterday. It's a helluva substantial pot! Especially for $80 shipped. I'm quite excited to put it to use. BIAB is now a definite possibility in the near future. :rockin:

Can anyone confirm this kettle is induction capable? I called Concord and they say not, but I know of several other manufacturers claiming the same when their kettles are actually capable.

Can anyone confirm this kettle is induction capable? I called Concord and they say not, but I know of several other manufacturers claiming the same when their kettles are actually capable.

In the long avantco 3500w thread, people have said the Concords work.

In the long avantco 3500w thread, people have said the Concords work.

Are you referring to the ~92 page thread? Were they referring to Concord kettles in general or the tri-ply models? I have a standard Concord kettle and it does work on induction. I am looking at upgrading to tri-ply to move away from scorching issues. Wasn't sure if those worked as well.

Yeah, you're riight. Probably jyst the stamped ones are. Ive tried other cheap triply and they didnt work. I probably wouldnt try it unless theres a return policy.

Back