Come on Alabama, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a terrible place to live. A THIRD of the counties prohibit the sale of alcohol? Ridiculous.

This is an old story. The ABC reconsidered their position a few days ago. Good job AP for making so many people across the country look stupid.

I live in Michigan, which means more "Dirty Bastard" for me and my friends.

What in the world was that article doing in the Plattsburgh Press Republican? It's a relatively obscure and small college town in Northern New York on Lake Champlain. We refer to it as the "New Jersey" to Burlington VT's "NYC".
Also know as "PlattsVegas"!

How did you come across the article?

Veering slightly off topic here...But… when I grew up there (Plattsburgh) many decades ago, it was the home of Plattsburgh Air Force Base – Strategic Air Command.

Growing up on the base from ’66-’74, it was host to B-52’s, FB-111’s, Huey Gunships, C-135 Strato-tankers, and had the only intercontinental ballistic missiles ever deployed east of the Mississippi River.

Going back to its beginnings… At the beginning of the War of 1812, Plattsburgh again became a center of military activity. A considerable force of regular troops was maintained at Plattsburgh throughout the War of 1812. On 3 September 1814, 14,000 British troops crossed the Canadian border and started advancing south. The British met little resistance until they reached the town of Plattsburgh on 11 September 1814. At the Battle of Plattsburgh, Brigadier General Macomb with a total force of 1,500 regulars and 700 militia stopped the British land force at the Saranac River by burning the bridge in order to make any British crossing a costly one.

Platts.jpg

Platts_2.jpg

The red circle is my old 6-family flat. Less than a mile from the flight line. B52's taking off in the 60's and 70's at 4:30AM.

Plattsburgh.jpg

I'm gonna start off by saying that I firmly believe that there is way too much government regulation.

That being said, If the store chooses not to carry it, good for them. I personally don't see the point of using names like "bastard" and "slut" and god knows what else on beer labels. I think it's about as white trash as people with profanity-laden bumper stickers or nuts hanging from the back of their pickups.

It doesn't offend me at all, but I just don't see the point. What if I made a white ale that I called "cum dumpster"? Would that be okay to put on shelves? "Hey honey, I picked up a 6 pack of butt-f**k brown ale at the store. I'll put it in the fridge next to the pancake-titty breakfast stout." Yes I know those are way worse that "bastard," but in some more conservative areas, it's still offensive to a lot of people.

I do agree, though, it's definitely a double standard that they sell a wine with "bastard" in the name.

turkeyjerky214, I agree with you. It doesn't offend me either but names like dirty bastard show a lack of imagination. They know their audience though.
I can't wait till they come out with something clever like "Gutter Slut" or "Cock Bite Slobber".

Yeah I don't understand why they would allow a wine with bastard on it and not a beer.

"That's the whole reason for the rule, to keep dirty pictures and dirty words away from children," he said. "Personally, I believe the staff made the right call."

Last time I checked, children aren't legally allowed to drink. And if they were, would they really be drinking Founders products? I understand if an adult is offended by the word, but if that's the case, that adult is going to go through life being offended an awful lot.

Children can't drink, but last I checked a lot of parents take them to the grocery store with them. I don't have kids, but if/when I do, I wouldn't appreciate having to explain to them what "Gutter Slut" means because they read it on a beer label as I was picking out a 6-pack.

Maybe I'm just not hip anymore now that I'm 28, but I really don't get it.

Fair enough, but aren't they going to hear it/see it somewhere eventually anyway? Better you explain that it's not a polite phrase etc. than them catching on to it at school or something right? It's not necessary that it be on a beer bottle at all, but since it's a product for adults, why can't brewers name their beers whatever and have fun with it? Besides, I just don't feel like "Dirty Bastard" is that bad personally, but that's totally a matter of opinion.

Just stand in the checkout isle by the fattening, tooth rotting candy, staring at half naked women on the cover of the cosmo and glamour magazines while you check out....yes, I' m being sarcastic

If that audio clip is real, all I can say is WOW....how the hell does someone that uneducated get in to public office? I wouldn't want that guy representing me on ANY subject! It's a bunch of German kids....lol. It's funny, but really sad at the same time.

Fair enough, but aren't they going to hear it/see it somewhere eventually anyway? Better you explain that it's not a polite phrase etc. than them catching on to it at school or something right? It's not necessary that it be on a beer bottle at all, but since it's a product for adults, why can't brewers name their beers whatever and have fun with it? Besides, I just don't feel like "Dirty Bastard" is that bad personally, but that's totally a matter of opinion.

I agree that it's the brewer's right to name his beer whatever he wants. I think my main point was that it just seems so white trash to me to have vulgar names for beer. Not sure if they're trying to be funny or badass or what, but to me it's just comes across as lazy and unimaginative. "Hey, I can't come up with a good creative name, so I'm gonna call it 'P**sy Destroyer.' Then people will think we're really badass!"
If people want to name their beer ridiculous names like that, it's 100% their prerogative.

Just stand in the checkout isle by the fattening, tooth rotting candy, staring at half naked women on the cover of the cosmo and glamour magazines while you check out....yes, I' m being sarcastic

By that genius logic, parents should never take their kids to the movies or anywhere else that candy is pushed (basically everywhere).

And in the words of Forest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back