When to cold crash the Kveik NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
Well, by god, they were right! That yeast ripped right through my 1.070 beer in less than 3 days!
I just measured the wort temperature and it was 87°. My hydrometer is calibrated to 60° so I did a calculation and it comes out that right now it is at 1.012. Should I go ahead and cold crash it or let the points come down a little more? It's still bubbling out of the airlocks but I've heard that it can over attenuate.
What should I do?

Thank you for your input. What about this over attenuating thing that they talk about? I mean, I don't want it so dried out that it tastes cidery or astringenty.

Voss is my go to IPA yeast and it seems that no matter what I do it finishes at 1.010. My grists are similar and pH is at 5.4. i wait till the "S" lok is even before kegging and it's carbed up and on tap in 12-14 days. They always taste better after 3-4 weeks.

Voss is my go to IPA yeast and it seems that no matter what I do it finishes at 1.010. My grists are similar and pH is at 5.4. i wait till the "S" lok is even before kegging and it's carbed up and on tap in 12-14 days. They always taste better after 3-4 weeks.
I've done grain to glass in 7-8 days but it always takes a week or so to settle in and get better...

I've done grain to glass in 7-8 days but it always takes a week or so to settle in and get better...
I like to drink a gallon or 2 of it during that week while, it's getting better!😊
All joking aside, I don't believe that ales get better as they age. There's plenty of sentiment from everybody and I'm sure that I'll get a lot of flack for saying it but, I think that you're better off to drink your ales as soon as they are ready. That means, as soon as they are carbed up and cold.

The thing I've been finding with Voss is after the beer is "conditioned" the flavor and bitterness stabilize and remain that way till it's kicked(around 4-6 weeks). I can use any ale yeast I want but they all change from tap to kick,but Voss doesn't.

Assuming 1.012 is correct, that's ~7.6% ABV from a 1.070 wort and 82% attenuation.

That's about on the money for Voss in a highly fermentable wort, but IMO will make for a pretty damn dry NEIPA.

One of the reasons I avoid Kveiks in NEIPAs in particular is that they over-attenuate unless you do a SUPER low fermentability mash. For a 7.5% hazy I'll usually target 1.018 and for doubles I'll easily be in the mid 20s, up to 1.025 for beers approaching 10%.

Last edited:
Back