Combining Cranberry and Witbier???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhazel

Reaction score
I have heard of Cranberry Wheat beers, and I have heard a good deal about pairing Cranberry with Witbiers for the purpose of making sauces...but can you make a Cranberry Witbier? I would like to atleast flavor part of my batch, but I didn't want ruin good beer if this will come out like garbage.

The following witbier (partial mash) is fermenting away right now:

2.5lbs 2-Row
1.5lbs Flaked Wheat
1lb Flaked Oats

1 oz Vanguard- Bittering
1oz Sterling - Aroma

1oz Corriander
1 oz Bitter Orange
Fresh Orange Zest

Could I add the following extract from Morebeer to flavor part of the beer at bottling?

Cranberry (4 oz) | MoreBeer

"Add great fruit flavor and aroma to your beer with our natual fruit flavorings. Best if added just prior to bottling. We recommend you start by adding 1/2 bottle and then add more according to your taste. Contains no sugar or haze-causing pectins."

Thanks. Looking around some more has sold me on the idea you can blend the two.

As I said, I currently have the brew in the primary (I plan to keep it there for 2 weeks, no secondary). Can I add the extract at bottling? Or would that turn out really low quality and not even worth doing?

The newest BYO has the recipe for the Cranberry Wit longshot winner. I believe the original recipe used cranberry juice instead of extract.

Can anyone post that recipe? I cannot seem to find it on the BYO website

This is from the March-April 2009 BYO magazine. I really encourage everyone to subscribe, its a great magazine to have around

Carissa Sweigart's Cranberry Wit
(5 gallons/19 L all grain)
OG=1.046 FG=1.011
IBU=22 ABV=4.4

Ingredients:
4.5lbs of flaked wheat
5lbs o Belgian Pilsner malt
1oz Sterling hops
1oz Golding hops
.25oz bitter orange
.5 Tbsp cinnamon
1tsp coriander
.35oz grains of paradise
.66 gal Ocean Spray cranberry juice
Wyeast 3944 (belgian witbier yeast)
Wyeast 3463 (Forbidden Fruit yeast)

Step by step:
Mash flaked wheat and belgian pilsner malt in 2.5 gallons of 150F water for 60 minutes. Sparge 4 times with a 60oz pitcher (approximately 7L total) with 170F water. Bring wort to boil for 20 minutes then add sterling and golding hops. Two minutes later add a tea bag of biter orange, cinnamon, coriander, grains of paradise. Cool wort to around 70F and pitch yeast. Transfer into primary fermenter and let sit for 14 days. Siphon beer directly into sanitized keg and add 2.5 liters (.66 gal) of Ocean Spray cranberry juice (add juice and taste). Also add 2 tbsp each of potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite (for stabilization). Bottle and age for three to four weeks in cool corner.

Extract option:
Substitute flaked wheat and belgian pilsner malt with 1 lb pale malt, 1 lb wheat malt, 1 lb wheat DME and 4lb 2oz wheat LME. Steep crushed grains in 3 qts of water at 150F for 45 minutes. Combine "grain tea", DME and water to make 3 gal of wort. Boil 60 minutes. Add hops and spices at times indicated in all-grain recipe. Add LME for final 15 minutes of boil. Cool to 70F, transfer to fermenter and top up to 5 gallons. Pitch yeast. Ferment at 70F

Has anyone attempted to brew this Longshot recipe? Is it just a 22 minute boil? The directions don't make a ton of sense IMO.

It looks like:
Boil 20 mins
Add 2 oz hops for 2 minutes
Add spice and cut flame

I know wits tend to have a short boil, but this seems really strange to me.

http://***********/stories/recipes/...nors-boston-brewing-companys-longshot-contest

Did you ever brew that Cranberry Wit? I am trying to figure out if the boil is really 22 minutes?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Back