Cold Weather Beer - Need Ideas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstudio18

Reaction score
I am looking to brew an all-grain batch this weekend and I need a little inspiration. By the time it will be ready it will be near the end of October at least, so I'm just looking to brew a good all around cold weather beer. The wife's not a big fan of stouts and I don't want to go with pumpkin or spices. Recently been digging a local brewery's ESB...also thinking maybe a Scottish or something? Interested to hear what your favorites are!

if you're thinking ESB i'd try an imperial amber. lots of light crystal with late fruity hops should be a good combo. switch to a more piney hop configuration if you're looking more towards winter. if you go english yeast shift your IBU's more towards late additions rather than straight bittering additions.

imperial amber sounds interesting...at the same time, i'm not sure i'm looking to go for a BIG beer. my kegerator is empty currently and would like something with a fairly quick turn-around just to get something back on tap, then go for a bigger brew...i will look into that style though. any recipe you prefer? thanks for the suggestion!

imperial amber sounds interesting...at the same time, i'm not sure i'm looking to go for a BIG beer. my kegerator is empty currently and would like something with a fairly quick turn-around just to get something back on tap, then go for a bigger brew...i will look into that style though. any recipe you prefer? thanks for the suggestion!
nugget nectar is supposedly of the style. if i recall correctly it's 7.2% abv, and uses pilsener, vienna and munich in equal proportions. troegs say they use nugget, warrior, tomahawk, simcoe and palisades. flavor hops would be palisade dominant so i would stagger the hops using more simcoe at 15 and then blasting it with palisade at 5. dry hop with palisade and simcoe. clean yeast would be ideal. i'd stick with cali ale.

1.070 beer would want a little time to condition but being hoppy it shouldn't sit too long.

if you want quick turn around beers mess around with english bitters or milds. great flavors and low OG means you can drink in two weeks.

Imperial Amber

5 gal batch
70% efficiency

5# munich
5# pils
5# vienna
1# C40

mash at 153 mash out at 170 to collect 6 gals. 60min boil

.5 warrior @ 60
.5 nugget @ 15
1.0 simcoe @ 15
1.0 simcoe @ 5
2.5 palisade @ 5

2L starter (75% attenuation)

OG 1.071
FG 1.018
IBU 69
SRM 11
ABV 6.9

I dropped the columbus because i couldn't really fit it in anywhere. i feel like troegs may mix it with nugget to give a little character. i'm on the run so i don't have time to fuss with it. i don't think this is 100% accurate but the flavor should be close. i know they use a similar grain bill to what i have up here. the hop schedule most likely needs to be tweaked. the idea is that it's palisades forward with simcoe behind it. i like how this looks on paper but haven't brewed it yet though i have done similar brews with this grain bill and simcoe, citra, amarillo hops.

English Bitter

9# Maris Otter, Optic or Golden Promise
.5# C40
.5# Biscuit

Mash 1Qt per LB @ 150. Batch Sparge.

1.0 oz Fuggles @ 60
1.0 oz Fuggles @ 20

WLP002 or WLP 007 Ferment cooler if possible.

OG 1.047
FG 1.016
IBU 24
SRM 6.3
ABV 4.0

I know it's called bitter but they're not supposed to be hoppy. They're called bitter because they're the most bitter of english beers. They should still have good malt presence as with all english beers. If i were to tweak it i'd take a little off the 60 min and dry hop with it or add another # of base malt. The biscuit and thick mash are going to make this very malty.

If you wanted to be cheeky you could do the bitter with WLP002 then pitch the amber on the yeast cake. WLP002 should attenuate well enough for a bigger beer so I don't think you'd finish too high and the estery english character could go nice with the sweeter hops.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write all that. I only have a few all-grain's under my belt so I'm not quite comfortable making up recipes on the fly yet, but that's the part I'm most looking forward to. Will definitely try something along these lines. Thanks again!

Brown and red are the colors of fall, and ever since the end of the Empire around 1950, fall is a British season. So I think an English brown ale would be perfect if you're looking for something that is neither very dark (stout, porter) nor very some kind of pumpkin gimmick. An ESB would also be great. Try a Hobgoblin clone.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write all that. I only have a few all-grain's under my belt so I'm not quite comfortable making up recipes on the fly yet, but that's the part I'm most looking forward to. Will definitely try something along these lines. Thanks again!
no worries man. talking about beer is fun. :mug:

Back