Close calls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
've had a few in my time, bad car accidents, etc., but my last one was more or so a what if close call ...

When I was living in Austin I befriended two guys who lived right next to my wife and I. They were a little out there but entertaining to talk to and seemed harmless, kind of new age. I moved to San Marcos and didn't talk to them much after I moved. I was in Austin at a pub and after stopped by their house with a good friend before driving back home. Everything seemed normal. Couple days later a friend who had introduced me to them called and told me the night I was over there one beat the other to death and he was found in the house with the body 3 or 4 days after it happened. The murder happened on a Friday night and the next day, Saturday, the murderer called me and wanted me to come over, there was an emergency he said, but I told him I couldn't.

I wonder what would have happened if I went over there! ... :eek:

Moral of story; make sure to pick your friends well these days.

Good job you didn't go over! 'Accessory to Murder' or 'Second Victim' aren't the better options....

Second victim is what was going through me head after thinking about it.

This just happened a few months ago. I can't find anything about the trial in the news. I spoke with the detective right after it happened and he told me it was open and shut pretty much.

They were not lovers. The murderer was 35ish, other guy late 20's. The murderer was good friends with the victims sisters for a long, long time. The victim had some mental issues, maybe slight retardation, he was quiet and would not speak unless you prompted him but once you did he was normal. To me the murderer almost seemed like his caretaker.

If anyone knows how to find out information about trials or prisoner status and such send me a PM. I would love to know what is going on with it but don't want to call the police to find out.

i hear ya, man!

back in Oct 2000 when I was living in CA, my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I made a late-night run to the video store because we realized we had some videos that were due at midnight. We jumped in the car at 11:40, drove to blockbuster to drop off the DVDs, and then returned home at about 12:05. Only gone for 25 minutes. Our roommate was still at home, but was holed up in his room playing video games.

Anyway, when we came back the street was blocked off and there were about 15 cop cars in my driveway, yard, and up and down both sides of the street. WTF?!

I stopped to talk to a cop at the end of the street, and he asked if we lived on this street. I said, "yes, I live at 54 North 25th."

He replied, "Oh. Ummmm... hang on."

After some weird comments over the radio ("I have the people that LIVE at 54 here on the end of the street. What should I do with them?")

Finally he tells us that we can't go down there because the house is a crime scene.

"What happened!? "

"There's been a homicide."

"My roommate was home!!" (Internally thinking, "My roommate is dead!")

"Is your roommate hispanic?"

"No."

"Then he is not the victim."

(Internally thinking, "My roommate KILLED somebody!")

Turns out that some chase had started on a major cross street, and the 'prey' ducked down the side street where it was darker. The, for some reason, he chose to duck down our driveway. Maybe he was thinking it could cut through our yard to the next street over, but when it got back there he found himself inside of a 6 foot fence.

He was cornered in our yard and stabbed to death. My roommate had heard commotion and called the police and stayed in his room, so he was fairly safe the whole time.

I just wonder what would have happened if we had been home. The guy was killed just steps away from our unlocked back-door, which lead into the living room. If I had been home I would have certainly been a witness to whatever went down.

Not only that, but the killer would have been able to see me sitting there staring at them through a large window the whole time.

-walker

Latest posts

Back