How do other actual brewers feel about 'Beer Flights'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewers can be a tough crowd to please going into a brewpub. Like most, if it's a new place I will get a flight unless there's one that really stands out. Even then I might be reluctant. I'd rather leave a small sample at the bar than a pint.

That can depend on the brewer and the brewpub. One brewpub in my area in particular when I was starting out homebrewing, I'd pick the headbrewer's (also the owner) brain about anything and everything brewing as he used to be a homebrewer. The fact he had King Crimson playing in the background helped too as we also talked about prog music. He was one reason why I joined the club I'm in now as he was one of the old school members from when it started.

I know all brewpubs are not all like that. I guess if the vibe doesn't feel right, I just order and keep to myself.

I find it important to point out that there's a difference between samples and flights. Especially when it comes to the folks that want to taste everything. Sampling every tap down the line is a just poor manners (pour manners?). It's a cheap shot. If you're interested in sampling more than two, just order a flight so your not wasting someone's time and essentially receiving a flight for free.

Back