Cleaning a sticky dirty wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mqiceman

Reaction score
Hey all,

Gotta say I love this forum - anyway, I'm back to brewing after a 6 year plus hiatus and I was going through some of my old equipment and found my wort chiller - not sure what I was thinking when I packed it away, but I obviously didn't clean it very well (or at all) and its got a lot of sticky crusted maltiness on the copper parts and the hose.

I'm wondering if there is something good that I might be able to use to clean this thing off - I need something pretty heavy duty, but want to make sure I don't damage the copper in any way. I've brewed a couple of batches in partial boils without using it over the last month, but really wanted to do a full boil next, so I was hoping to get this thing cleaned up.

Thanks!

Thanks much for your replies - I think I will boil it and then soak it in some oxiclean afterwards just to get it nice and clean.

I'd do the Oxiclean and scrub it a little first. It will eat away at the gunk and loosen it up. Especially if it's dried on there. Then boiling will get the rest off and also sanitize it.

Latest posts

Back