Clarity in a brett beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbx

Reaction score
In september I looked through the left over grain and hops I had and put together something I hoped would be Orval-like. After primary fermentation, I chilled and racked clear beer into a keg with wy5112 Brett B and left it in my closet for 3 months @ 19C.

A few days ago I poured a sample and it was exactly what I was hoping for so I moved it to the kegerator. One thing that has surprised me is its completely hazy now. It was in the warm sample I poured so it isn't a chill haze. it doesn't seem yeasty (at least not sach yeast) and it has fantastic head retention. Is this a brett thing? This is my 3rd brett beer and none have been clear but this one was very clear when I added the brett.

My brett spiked beer using orval yeast and ended up crystal clear after six months in the bottle even only at room temp. I think my long bottle conditioning with Brett allowed the Brett to consume the chill haze proteins.

Sent from my C771 using Home Brew mobile app

Brett is very powdery and takes months at a cold temp undisturbed to fall out.

It is possible for it to clear, but not terribly important and takes a very very long time.

Back