Citra hops too strong ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gauthier

Reaction score
Hey guys, Gauthier from France here, so i am brewing a neipa, ive read a lot of things about citra hops taking over the other hops on taste ... now my question is ... if i have three hops and of course the citra one and my dry hop is gonna be at 0.31 oz per l equal so 2.11 oz of each hops, (20L batch) what do you recommend for the citra hops ? Thanks guys

The peanut gallery would need to know what hop #2 and hop #3 are to recommend a blend that would tamp down the rogue soloist in the choir :)

That said, Citra has been my favorite strain since my first taste bud popping experience when it was first introduced. I would have no problem with all late and dry additions being 100% Citra:)

Cheers!

citra would be just fine as the only hop. that being said, if you're looking for more complexity, then you might want to go closer to 30% citra to 70% whatever it is. that is assuming the other hops are also fruity/citrusy hop profiles.

As others have said, it really depends on what your other two hops are. You could do 2 parts Citra to one part Galaxy and the galaxy wouldn't be overwhelmed.

sounds tasty to me. i'd go 1/2 as much citra to mosaic and galaxy, but that's purely a matter of taste.

I use a ton of Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy annually, yet reviewing my recipes I've never used those three strains in the same brew.
Surprised the heck out of myself :D

Anyway...I would have zero qualms going 1/1/1 with those three hops, at flame-out, whirlpool, and dry hop...

Cheers!

From my experience, Galaxy is a bit stronger than Citra, but they will certainly work fine at 1:1. I'm not a big fan of Mosaic, but lots of people are and it still blends well with the others and should hold up great with them.
Those are a set of good NEIPA hops, whatever ratios you use should end up pretty good.

hey guys, just to let you know, the new england ipa i made is good, really juicy and tasty but there is something wrong with the hops, it seems like we cant figure out waht flavor we are getting. Maybe it isnt a good combination, when you drink it ... the hops are working and then it is like they are all getting mashed up on your mouth and not getting any particual flavor.

I am a rookie still, 2 years of brewing and studying. The questions I would ask myself if I was not very pleased with the hop flavor (assuming your hops were not oxidized and sufficient QTY):

How long did you dry hop?
What is the water chemistry?
How long has it been since dry hoping?
OG/FG?
is the malt bill overwhelming or lacking?

I find my 6% DHIPA's hit stride a few weeks after kegging, bottling may take longer to condition.

depending on your abv, for a neipa you should be using more hops, i dry hop at a 1oz per gallon rate if i am under 7%, and a lot of ppl are closer to 1.5 to 2oz per gallon for a dry hop. I have used that hop combo before and really enjoyed it. there are a lot of other things at play as well. depending on your process and ability to eliminate oxygen exposure post fermentation is key. also sometimes with neipa it may take a couple weeks for the flavors to meld and really shine. so if it is super fresh it may still be green and need another week or 2. i find my neipa to best at about week 3 after kegging.

Latest posts

Back