Chlorinated taste to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan573

Reaction score
My last two beers have had a chlorinated taste, but my prior beers did not. I am using C-brite and not rinsing the bottles prior to racking the beer. I believe that the C-brite is causing the unpalatable taste, but curious to know if there is something else that could contribute to this taste. I found it unusual that my prior beers tasted great without rinsing; granted these beers were a brown ale and a stout. The poorly tasting beers were an amber and Belgium Ale.

Any additional thoughts? Thanks.

using tap water ? how does that tase ?
i could see the dark beers masking the taste.
i use idophor and star san with no issues

Those comments are helpful. I do use tap water and it tastes fine to me. For my next brew, I will switch to star stan and use bottle/chlorine free water. This practice will eliminate my concern.

Another question to this point, is how do you distinguish between the solvent like taste of fusel alcohols versus a problem with your sanitation? Do you have to wait until the fusel alcohols break down? Then if the taste does not improve, you would assume that the chorinated cleaners are the issue?

To address this concern, I guess I'll be more careful about the temprature surrounding the time in which I pitch the yeast.

Any other thoughts? Thanks again for the help.

More info - AG, Mini mash, pure extract?? Have you had batches NOT taste and these are anomalies? What style of beer?

and then there is the tap water which if it taste good is OK but . . . . I'm all for using RO or distilled water and building it back up to what you want for that style (easy enough).

Sadly - I've done 87 batches and don't know what fusel alcohols are LOL hmmmmm, seems to be a hole in my knowledge well!

Are you using the C-Brite Cleanser like this, http://www.eckraus.com/0-8-oz-c-brite-cleaner.html?

My carboy kit came with several c-brite cleanser packets. To me, the cleanser packets had a strong chlorine smell that I needed to rinse thoroughly to remove. I switched off chlorine based cleansers and sanitizers because of the smell they left behind.

I have had other batches turn out well. I am an extract brewer. I have done a brown ale, hefeweizen, and a sweet stout that drank well. The belgium ale and amber ale were less than desirable. Ironically, after another month of waiting, I tried an amber last night and a belgium ale today, and the taste was much, much improved. This leads me to believe that it might be fusel alcohols (whatever they are suppose to taste like).

As for my use with C-brite, I use one packet per two gallons of water.

So, I will switch to Star san, since it is no rinse, use bottled water, and work on my tempratures when pitching the yeast. Thanks again, and I look forward to any more thoughts.

Back