Chiller Manifold Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhilGood

Reaction score
So I always liked the idea of Sabco's chill wizard so I had enough parts to make something similar. I am going to mount the parts on a piece of plywood with casters to be able to move this about. What do you guys think about this layout? Any flaws with the way the liquid will flow? Any input is appreciated.

IMG_20120809_203314.jpg

IMG_20120809_203328.jpg

IMG_20120809_203337.jpg

Whats the point of the big tube? Seems like you'd lose a lot of good wort in there!

looks like a hop back or hop unit of some sort. basically a filter with a screen to hold whole hops or leaf hops as the wort flows over them, before cooling

He may be using it as a hop back, but that thing is the trub filter from brewershardware.com

Why the two outputs from your valve/thermometer assembly? Are you going to have an oxygen tank or something?

Yea that is a trub filter and it's being used as one. I was thinking of the second outlet to take a quick sample of chilled wort while transferring to the fermenter for gravity readings. A bit overkill but I have tons of spare SS pieces.

Yea that is a trub filter and it's being used as one. I was thinking of the second outlet to take a quick sample of chilled wort while transferring to the fermenter for gravity readings. A bit overkill but I have tons of spare SS pieces.

I think the chill wizard uses that second port as a place to pump oxygen into a stainless stone on the other side, doesn't it?

Yea it does. I haven't really decided on using it for o2 yet. I need to look into it more but I think its doable. I originally just wantedan easy way to grab a sample without interrupting the transfer to the ferment er

I've always just grabbed a quick shot glass of wort straight from the boil kettle for my sample. But having a refractometer is the key with doing that.

Back